TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Invisible, Inc.

Level 10,000 achieved

Invisible, Inc.

Holy crap how come there's no CHATTER ON THE COMMS I mean THREAD ON TTLG about this yet? From my Steam buddy list I can tell that YOU'VE ALL BEEN PLAYING IT, but I guess you just forgot to invite ol' Henke to the turn-based stealth party, EH? Not that you had to tell me, RPS has been bangin on about it plenty. I just didn't get around to it till now.

Currently on my first playthrough. Beginner difficulty, 5 or 6 missions down. Have managed to get by without any injuries so far, but things are heating up. Walking Drones and Sound Bugs were just introduced and I freed my first captive agent.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yeah, it was so bad for me I regressed to playing ADOM exclusively, which I haven't done since I was 18. I think I have a pimple outbreak now, as well. Fuck.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ok, just completed my first playthrough. I had a feeling it wouldn't be a long game, more sort of a FTL-esque thing that's very replayable. Still, looking at the Time Played stat afterwards I'm surprised it took as long as 7h. Felt shorter than that. Pleased to report that my playthrough went smooth as butter. Not so much as a scratch on my operatives, tho I did use a handful of Retries.

For those of you who've played this, is the story different on higher difficulties? I liked the narrative a lot, and the cutscenes were great, but I wouldn't mind a more upbeat ending.

And for those of you who haven't played this: you like XCOM? You like FTL? Of course you do, play this already!

Southquarter.com/fms
    Yeah, I bought it thinking it would scratch the stealth itch, but I have tough time with turn based games so I didn't get too far.

It's definitely on my list, but my back catalogue has just taken another hit due to the Steam sale and Oculus Rift arriving... and the next big game I'm planning to play is The Witcher 3. I should get around to Invisible, Inc. some time in 2019.

is Best Pony
    Faaaar too tough for me!

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    you like XCOM?
    Yes!
    You like FTL?
    No!

Level 10,000 achieved
    It really is more XCOM than FTL tho. It's only FTL in the procedurally generated levels and permadeath of your units, not so much in the gameplay.

Nevermind that original X-Com had both those elements too.

Chakat sex pillow
    Or XCOM, for that matter.

If anything, I'd describe Invisible, Inc. as in the vein of XCOM/Transistor with a focus on stealth.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 9th Jul 2016 at 14:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerker View Post
    Nevermind that original X-Com had both those elements too.
    Yes, it sounds like we can safely drop FTL from the comparison list entirely :)

I remember being pretty interested in this when I first heard about it, but hearing a few comments suggesting that it started out great but struggled to stay interesting for the duration, so I think I probably put it on the "sale" list. I see there's an expansion now which extends the base game; I imagine that helps.

Are people who've completed it keen to go back for more, or more feeling that they've been there and done that?

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'm currently doing a second playthrough, on Experienced (Medium) this time, and finding it a good deal more difficult than Beginner. Got through the first mission by the skin of my teeth.

I think strategy games would have more longevity with me if I'd man up and just start out on the easiest difficulty and work my way up instead of always going straight to whatever 'balanced' is. Then again, the handful of missions I've played on Medium in this game were fucking awesome and tense as hell.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah this is one you definitely wanna start on the easiest setting. Just beat it on medium. The story was the same, kinda wished the outcome would've been different. As it is, the story kinda ends on a cliffhanger.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Just started a Expert-level playthrough. It's getting serious!

Also, the Invisible, Inc. intro is one of the best I've seen in recent times, and I wanted to share it with anyone who might not've played the game.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yup, Expert difficult is the stuff. The real Invisible, Inc. begins here.

Let me tell you of my adventures. For this run I picked Internationale and Central as my agents. I've used Internationale in every run so far. She has this remote hacking ability which I've grown to rely on. Central (the boss lady in the intro above) got unlocked as a playable agent after my Experienced run. She has a power that lets us gain 5 hacking points every time an enemy daemon is run, which happens quite often in later missions.

That's the second mission. Breaking into a vault, stealing some equipment and getting out. Only problem was, by the time we were ready to leave the premises we'd made such a ruckus that the hallway between us and the exit was filled with 4 guards and a camera drone. In the room behind us knocked out guards are about to wake up, and we're frightfully low on hacking points. Still can't quite believe we made it out unscathed.

This was mission 4 or 5. The only way to gain additional agents in this game is by rescuing them, and that's what we were here to do. We managed to bust out Dr. Xu, but he got spotted as we were making our way out, and was immediately surrounded by 3 agents and then shot. My one retry for this level had been used to correct an earlier mistake, so there was no fixing this mess. I could of course try dragging Xu to the teleportation pad, but it was too risky, instead tried to save my other 2 agents. Stressed out over a ruined mission, I fucked up, and Internationale paid the price, catching a bullet on the way to the exit. The shot above is of Central standing on the teleporter, while I weight my options. Have her go back for them, or get out. The choice was made for me in the next turn when the base AI locked on to her location and sent agents. Nothing to do but get out.

So, down to one ill-equipped agent, I don't have high hopes for this turning out well. Central's Neural Disrupter is the base-version which isn't even powerful enough to knock out the armored guards which are becoming more and more common during these missions. Since guards wake up after a few turns and raise the alarm, ghosting is already the smart way to play, but not even having the option to disable guards should I need to means sooner or later I'm gonna find myself in a no-win situation.

And I'm loving it. These kinds of dire scenarios and tough choices are what makes a great strategy game.

Level 10,000 achieved

Then...

The 2 jobs following yesterday's disasterous mission didn't go great. With my one remaining agent I tried to steal some money, and then some new equipment, but neither mission turned out well, ending with me fleeing the premises with nothing but some pilfered credchips to show for my efforts, and the Big Clock ticking ever closer to the end. I had time for one more job before the finale, however, and I chose another "steal some equipment"-mission, here's how that went...

Level 10,000 achieved

And now for THE EPIC CONCLUSION...

Yes, I know you've all been waiting with baited breath. So enraptured by this tale that you don't even wanna post anything for fear it might break the narrative flow of my posts! But here it is, the final episode in the tale of "Henke plays Invisible, Inc. on Expert Diffculty".

I died on the final mission. The end.

Administrator
    You are making the game sound interesting, although it looks a tad stressful on expert. I've still got mark of the ninja and mgs5 to finish first...

I'm still playing this, despite how much I hate losing a whole run because of one stupid mistake. Expert is not to be played late at night when you're sleepy but addicted. With randomly generated layouts, some missions are really hard, and other times, well... Here's a Captain of the Guard posted in the detention center, facing directly away from the prisoner, and not looking at the door lock or the entrance. "Maybe I don't want to see them escape!"

I love this game, and personally I find I prefer playing endless mode, as I find the story actually kind of gets in the way.

Visually that looks like Shadowrun Returns so much it's not funny.

Heh. Shadowrun's hand-painted backgrounds are relatively distinctive to me, but man they sure aimed at the same aesthetic, didn't they? For two games that both are/contain:

* Cyberpunk
    * Turn based
    * Party based
    * Top-down view
    * Stealth & Combat elements
    * RPG elements
    * Hacking

...They nonetheless manage to play almost nothing alike.

I have this game here, but I kind of fear playing those kinds of games because I hate losing troops and am kind of dragged to restart the mission, while at the same time feeling I'm cheating.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well you don't have to worry about that, because guess what, you CAN'T restart the mission! If you loose one of your 2 troops then you gotta finish the game with the one you have left!

Of course you can always just drag your downed troop to the exit-platform and they can be saved, but that's usually easier said than done.