TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: object wanted: Wheat plant

object wanted: Wheat plant

Can anyone create me a a bunch of wheat plants to cover a field?

i have this plant here in Portugal, i also would like to use it as an object:

Anyone knows what plant is this?

ok i was able to get a wheat texture in the net and used in the Grass object by Dale, for those who don't know, this grass object is a reskinable object in dromed:

but i still see a thin white line above the wheat plants

this is the texture i used , it was a free download:

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    ... but i still see a thin white line above the wheat plants
    You need to clean up the texture and fix the alpha channel and/or save the texture with a different transparency encoding. Odds are that there are pixels which should be fully transparent and aren't, especially at the edges of the texture.

Also you texture is only the top 1/3 or so of the wheat plant. You need a full plant high texture.

Ideally you should use a "sprite" for this kind of effect. Does NewDark support sprites?

The plant in your photo is most likely Esparto grass (Lygeum spartum), Pedro.
    Edit: Sorry, that should be False Esparto. My bad.
    Last edited by Purgator; 20th Jul 2016 at 05:19.

Spot on, Chris.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Not that I know of.

Southquarter.com/fms
    There is wheat in the FM The Farm by fibanocci. It's right next to the corn object that kills everyone's framerate.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Ideally you should use a "sprite" for this kind of effect. Does NewDark support sprites?
    Instead of a model name one can use the name of a bitmap. This will of course make the bitmap always face the camera, so it might not be good for wide groups of straws (unless maybe they are sufficiently far from the camera). I used this in my last mission (where I needed a free floating number display always facing the player), and I think I've seen also GORT using it, but I don't know if s/he used the same method or not (I vaguely remember other ways of achieving the same effect).
    Last edited by qolelis; 19th Jul 2016 at 18:03.

funny every plant texture i use in this object model leaves always a thin white line on the top.

thank you Purgator, i knew it was slightly different from wheat

Thank you Mike for the suggestion.

Thank you LarryG will try to clean the white line. Honestly i never heard of sprite.

This texture looks really good but i can't use the magic wand with psp in this one:

is there a another way to replace the black in the background to a transparent without using the magic wand in photoshop?
    Last edited by Cardia; 20th Jul 2016 at 04:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    funny every plant texture i use in this object model leaves always a thin white line on the top.
    The line at the top is caused by the transparent pixels at the top beginning to blend with the opaque pixels at the bottom. When you look at a texture you'll see that each pixel is drawn as a soft square that smoothly blends with all the pixels around it. That blending also happens at the edges because the game has no way of knowing if you're trying to stretch a texture to fit a face, or if you want to repeat it.

The easiest solution is to edit the texture and make the bottom row of pixels completely transparent. That might give the objects a floating appearance so you'll need to check them in Dromed and sink them into the ground if necessary.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    Instead of a model name one can use the name of a bitmap. This will of course make the bitmap always face the camera, so it might not be good for wide groups of straws (unless maybe they are sufficiently far from the camera).
    NewDark adds the ability to render bitmaps axially locked, so you can look up or down at them but they still always face the player. Just like Half-Life 2's grass sprites.

Aah, yes, I forgot about the sprite "rotating" (for a lack of a better word) around the pitch axis as well; for the intended use (in this thread) one would probably want only the yaw axis, so what you are suggesting is that that can be done now!? I didn't know that.

And the cost for putting 100 in-game is the same as putting 1? At least as far as the rendering engine? The 100 would chew up 100 object slots of course.

That's something I ask myself too. When you first suggested sprites, what were your thoughts behind it?

Also, if using individual straws, placing a hundred of them could quickly become tedious (maybe groups of straws would work fine; the best way to find out is to try it out (and ideally compare with the alternatives)). My input is mostly theoretical, since I haven't done anything with sprites on this scale in Dark (New or not).

Thank you Robin and others for suggestions, honestly im not a big fan of sprites, if you create a bunch of plants all together you hardly notice their thin size:

here im using 35 objects, the grass by Dale D_kaka2 using Daraan plant texture which again leaves a thin white line on the top, but luckily hardly visible.

Hmmm... If you want, I could take a look at the texture to see if I can get that line out. Nice looking grass by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by GORT View Post
    Hmmm... If you want, I could take a look at the texture to see if I can get that line out. Nice looking grass by the way.
    Thank you Gort, i can send you some pics via pm of the wheat plants for you to check which one are suitable.

OK, cool. It may be just the texture itself. I'll have to check it out to know for sure.

Check your pm Gort

Checked it. I've PMed back.

OK, I've PMed you a pic.

In case some of you want to see the pic, here's what it looks like. I should've done this earlier.

That's really nice, GORT!

Thanks. That's one model by the way. Also, it's best to have that with a Render Type Unlit when putting them in direct sunlight. That way it won't have unnecessary shaded areas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast