TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Prey (2017) - Arkane Austin

Tried the demo, and quite surprisingly it didn't run as well as Dishonored 2 on my potato, partially because there were far fewer graphics options to tweak. Framerates were a bit sluggish even at low resolutions, and textures simply failed to fully load even on very high settings. O.o

It's a shame that games companies have stopped making demo's that have different content to the main game.

A few good ones from the past:

* Half-Life 1
    * Starcraft
    * Warcraft 1

I'm sure there's far more than that, but those are the first to spring to mind.

The Stanley Parable

Resident Evil 7, sort of!

Quote Originally Posted by froghawk View Post
    Tried the demo, and quite surprisingly it didn't run as well as Dishonored 2 on my potato, partially because there were far fewer graphics options to tweak. Framerates were a bit sluggish even at low resolutions, and textures simply failed to fully load even on very high settings. O.o
    This is basically the same experience I had - the game worked fine, but without the granular graphics settings from DH2, it wasn't as nice as it could have been.

I hope we get more "Prey" content in the future. Though DLC would be out of the question considering how it all ends, but a sequel could always happen.

That too would be kinda pointless though. Hmm.

Goddamn it Harvey, you've taken my money again! I just hope I'll like this more than I did SS2. The fact the air isn't rusting everything that fires bullets is a good start.

Finished it last night. Kind of expected the ending (I got to the Abandon ship ending somewhere in the middle of the game, and that was a bit of a hint).

Maybe it's the long break, but I'd appreciate a recap, or a bit longer summary of events. Also, the last few hours were tiresome, maybe because I chose to play on hard difficulty. I also thought I was getting a bit overpowered towadrds the end, but that one sudden takover made me use almost all my ammo and resources. Maybe I'll get back to it after a while on easy difficulty to try out typhoon powers.

So, this game is pretty good. In classic Arkane fashion, it isn't particularly novel, but very well honed. The gameplay is what Bioshock advertised but failed to deliver, so the art design is fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Finished it last night. Kind of expected the ending (I got to the Abandon ship ending somewhere in the middle of the game, and that was a bit of a hint).
    I got that too. At first I assumed I must be the only person in the world who would reach it, only to google and find that countless others have reached it early too. So, finished. Random musings...... sorry, long.

+ for the most part surprisingly uncompromised Shock goodness (actually, I've seen reviewers complain about supposedly unbalanced game acts; I totally dig that you can enter areas early on which then still present a major challenge on higher difficulty anyway, rather than just being able to wipe the maps clean in typically video game fashion... Actually the early portions are my favourite, as the game forced me to think outside of the box with no much bigger weapon equipped and no tutorial giving it all away how to best beat / avoid foe X. Oldschool Looking Glass would have called this non-linear design, ponder, come back a bit later, you'll never know... modern gamers and journalists see this as "bad game design"

+ Whilst the actual narrative and writing arguably isn't onpar with Bioshock Prey is regularly compared to, without spoiling it, I think it embraces its centrally theme more consistently than Bioshock, right to the actual choices you make in the game. You (hopefully!) get a feel or foreshadowing of that early on, but this is the kind of game where when you accidentally fuck up
    spoiler:
    Mikhaila died in my office upon I had accidentally lured a Nightmare to its doors
    , you wouldn't want to reload and just let it play out. I was rewarded in the end by it. Needless to say in most games there is no place to fuck up either way. If you do, it's game over. I only wish the general quest design was more built around those themes specifically... but that would warrant an entirely different post of random musings.

+ Generally map / system design.... so much to explore, touch, pick up, discover. On your own too. Specific description texts for every inventory item you find. Reading some of the posts here made me smile as people used tactics I never considered, such as
    spoiler:
    luring foes into closets and then locking them in
    . In general, that's incredibly, incredibly rewarding all around, much more than you picking up a gun and the game immediately going like, yeah you can do this and that with it. Outside a few hints during the loading screen, Prey never does that. It places you in an environment which can be manipulated in various ways, but it doesn't spoon feed you how

+ a consistently 3d space with a real feel of the virtual "space" you get to explore. It's a small touch, but that you get to view Talos 1 in its "entirety",
    spoiler:
    not just from the inside
    , and that the proportions all seem to stack up, right to the GUTS tunnels physically stretching all throughout the bowels of the thing... that does so much to the believability of the world.

- Mid-game can drag a bit and loses the excitement of the early stages. Whilst that can be said about any game, the maps overall aren't that huge in terms of size. Once you are done "exploring", that's one major thrill off, and towards the end the game tends to send you a bit too much back and forth in what essentially are fairly basic "fetch quests". (Would the Labyrinthean maps of Thief I be feasible in this market place, by the way, considering that players get lost in logical Space Stations such as Alien:Isolation's Sevastopol these days, even with the motion tracker giving directions straight away?)

- Gloo-climbing is a bit fiddly, even on keyboard+mouse. Bit of a shame, as it could have turned into everybody's favourite sports, and even spawn sub communities in particular if paired with a map editor.....
    spoiler:
    Am I the only one who enjoyed gooeing and climbing the ceiling ventilators in the machine shop?

- Tone seems a bit inconsistent. Starts out fairly "survival horror" down to forcing you to manage ressources, and best avoiding the bigger foes. Eventually ends up more into generally SciFi territory with a few interesting twists. The nature of the "audio logs", which slightly adjusted in their "formula" here act more like voice mailings / phone recordings rather than "diaries" add to this. In particular as most of their content focus on the more "mundane", human relationship and job talk side of things, whereas for instance the classic Shock audio log let you follow key protagonists demises and journeys to the dark side one log at a time

- Nothing particularly new added to the general formulas. If you have played the forebears to this, you're in for a pretty familiar tale overall. Which is both strength and weakness naturally, and depends.

- Same as Dishonored, no walk trigger button on PC (even Deus Ex had it). "Quest markers" are triggered as soon as you get a new objective and need to be manually shut off apparently. Fairly instrusive "Objective complete" signposts... to me there's little more "immersion breaking" than a huge objective sign popping in alongside to the audio jingle used alongside it all game when you are just being
    spoiler:
    hunted by what is supposed to be the biggest threat in the Nightmares, specifically engineered to hunt you down
    . What should be an emergent, special moment is cheapened in feel to "completing" your random fetch quest

Has the potential to be a cult classic, this. I file it close to my cabinet where the "flawed" masterpieces sit, and gladly want moar now. Off to finally try the Dishonored 2 trial and hope my GPU won't be roasted (totally considering to also finally swap out the GPU as well, on the CPU side of things it's all decent enough looking at benches before the patches were applied). Thanks Sulphur and Judith for the RAM advice, loading times as well as disk swapping improved significantly, though there were still a few loading stutters and slow-downs, nothing too instrusive though. Given that my PC is on the lower end of things, and Prey (and my playstyle) is rather slow paced, I was fine with that.

tl;dr somebody please tell Raph Colantonio this was pretty much worth it for as long as he's still around!! And please stay together for some time, rest of the team. Consider to go Kickstarter or anything if this ever doesn't pan out, if you ever feel similar burnt, or doing smaller, more focused projects, where the talent and unique design is still allowed to shine. Here's opening a Duck beer, cheers to you guys!
    Last edited by samIamsad; 31st Aug 2017 at 11:58.

We need more Prey content. Though story wise that would make no sense.

Just chiming in to say that I got this on sale, I love it already, and it's absolutely the closest I've seen to a System Shock 3. The way the game balances extremely capable, lethal enemies against powerful combos and abilities is really intense, and the immersion is simply incredible. I'm five hours in and I've only just reached the GUTS, so I gather I haven't made much of a dent on the story thus far.

I'll admit, when I saw this at PAX with the pun tagline 'Only Yu Can Stop The Typhon', I dismissed it as a generic reboot shooter. Instead, it's everything Bioshock should have been and I'm extremely impressed.

I actually think the writing is better than Bioshock's as well. It's quite a convoluted little plot once you reach the end, but Bioshock had a good idea and little followthrough post-golfclub scene. Granted, everything being run by a mobster IS the logical outcome of that story, but it could have been executed in a much more exciting way than having you fight the silver surfer. The momentum completely died.

Whereas Prey continues to throw curveballs up until the final moment. It feels much more populated in every way - the game mechanics are more complex, the plot has more unexpected twists, the environment is more filled with secrets... it may not have the political angle, but it feels deeper in every other way.

P.S. anyone found a way into the IT supply closet on a non-homicidal run?

From memory that room was an Easter egg, and is not able to get into.
    Last edited by icemann; 2nd Sep 2017 at 05:46.

Apparently if you kill everyone, there's a way to get in there after Dahl arrives. So yeah, doesn't seem possible on a non-homicidal run.

What's weird though, is that on my non-homicidal playthrough I managed to find everyone that's listed in the station database other than the one character that's listed as off-station (OMG DLC?) so I must have gotten in there somehow...

There's too many damn loading screens in this game when you start madly running around the station mid-late game. You'd think games would be past that problem by now... if Bethesda can make their worlds continuous with their crap tech, then why can't a game as small as Prey do the same?

Bethesda and continuous worlds? Aren't their games (if we are talking about the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games) the ones where you face a loading screen every time you enter a building or dungeon?

There's too many damn loading screens in this game when you start madly running around the station mid-late game. You'd think games would be past that problem by now... if Bethesda can make their worlds continuous with their crap tech, then why can't a game as small as Prey do the same?
    It's not the size of the world, it's the stuff you need to keep in memory. Players expect a lot of detail and variation in assets these days, especially in games nearer to the photorealistic end of the spectrum.

Fair enough. But Prey is a pretty small, lightweight game by modern standards. Relatively low system requirements, only 20gb, no ultra setting that will make a decent modern system chug...

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Bethesda and continuous worlds? Aren't their games (if we are talking about the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games) the ones where you face a loading screen every time you enter a building or dungeon?
    I thought they fixed that in the last generation of games? I didn't play Skyrim or FO4 (quite sick of their approach of sticking a ton of stuff in their games but doing all of it poorly), but I remember playing Oblivion with a mod that took away the loading screens, at least for entering cities.

I think the new upcoming non-volatile memory will do a lot to mitigate this. Having just one single layer of memory is huge. It would be like running games from a RAM drive.

I thought they fixed that in the last generation of games? I didn't play Skyrim or FO4 (quite sick of their approach of sticking a ton of stuff in their games but doing all of it poorly), but I remember playing Oblivion with a mod that took away the loading screens, at least for entering cities.
    From memory. You'd only see a loading screen when going into the buildings/caves/etc. Outside area was continuous. Much like in Fallout 3 and NV.

Chakat sex pillow
    You're talking about a dev team that's been content to use the same engine framework for the past 15 years people despite complaining about this since Morrowind. No, it has not been fixed.

I finally got started on this on Friday, and I like it a lot so far. Exploration is interesting and feels dangerous, and I like how this both captures and updates the gameplay and atmosphere of System Shock. In fact, since there's a whiff of art deco to the art design, I can't help thinking that I wish Bioshock had been like this: not a shooter first and foremost but a game that puts you in a fascinating environment and gives you a whole range of tools to survive. I would've loved Rapture if it hadn't been solely about shooting people in the face.

Quick question: does/did anyone else have ridiculously long loading times? The ones in-game are bad enough, but when I launch Prey, it takes several minutes before I even get a black screen, let alone the company logos. I'll try installing the game on SSD, but even on HDD those are some pretty damn long loading times.

That never happed to me.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast