TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Prey (2017) - Arkane Austin

I'm hoping that reinstalling the game on SSD will help. Another technical issue I've found very annoying: detailed texture tend to pop in very late, seconds after I'm right in front of a blurry, low-res screen thinking that graphics ought to be a bit sharper in 2017...

Loving the game in spite of these issues, mind you.

I definitely felt the loading times - not so much because they were long, but because I saw a loading screen every minute running around the station late game. And yeah, also experience the texture pop-in. It's interestingly set up - if your computer doesn't support high textures, it simply won't load them at all (and thus will perform fine). I haven't seen a game do that before.

Result! I've reinstalled the game, this time on my SSD, and the loading times have gone from several minutes (more than 5 minutes until I was actually in the game!) to less than a minute.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'm playing this now too. Picked it up, along with Little Nightmares, in the current PS Store sale. I'm 3 hours in, currently tracking down the rest of that video from myself.

How are you enjoying it? The game has grabbed hold of me more than any other in a while.

Level 10,000 achieved
    So far, so good. Looking forward to getting back to it after work today.

I hear that its weakest in its final third, but it's great once you start getting more neuromods and, as a result, your options of how to approach situations increase vastly. Arkade is also among the best when it comes to creating credible, atmospheric environments. Also, I'm finding some of the crew stories surprisingly affecting, especially after hearing people complain that the storytelling didn't do anything for them.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I went into space AND I found the secret safe in Dr. Calvino's office! Now heading back to watch the rest of that video. Do I need this Boltcaster? Takes up a lot of space. Maybe I'll just leave it in my office until I find a use for it.

I've never properly played the System Shock games, so I can't compare it to those. But this does feel more like Deus Ex than either HR or MD, gameplaywise. I'm having a good time.

I haven't played System Shock 2 in ages, but if you enjoy this, you may want to check it out afterwards.

I don't have much use for the Boltcaster - but definitely make sure to upgrade your suit at least twice, because otherwise you'll *always* be running out of inventory space.

I only used that in a couple of cases. Mostly to activate buttons that were behind a barrier with holes that were large enough to shoot through. Even that I only did like 2 or 3 times in my whole play through.

Apparently it can also be used as an equivalent to noise arrows, though I haven't done that yet.

It's also a nice ammo-free way to deal with cystoids.

There are plenty of uses for the boltcaster - distraction, activating remote buttons, activating remote touchscreens, cystoid removal etc.

The flexibility of the boltcaster was actually one of my favourite parts of the game - particularly finding some of the uses for it before they were telegraphed in the game itself.

As I'm pretty sure I haven't posted about it yet: Prey 2017 is, for me, the only true spiritual successor to SS2 ...which is both a blessing and a curse. Also, I admire Bethesda for letting this game happen at all, but I do have to loathe them for their marketing approach.

EDIT: Coming to think of it, nice job rubbing it in to BioShock with the semi-Art Deco aesthetic.
    Last edited by van HellSing; 24th Oct 2017 at 17:35.

What I'm really enjoying about Prey is the way it does difficulty gating: a few times now, I decided I'd go and explore this section or follow up on that mission, only to find that with my current abilities I'd find it very difficult to continue that way. I could've kept trying, I could have worked on different approaches, but some sections are simply more difficult than others, and you find out not due to missions being colour-coded or any other UI element suggesting that you go away and upgrade your abilities before returning, you find out by going there, getting your ass handed to you and retreating. It makes Talos 1 feel more like a real place, and it makes the return feel more momentous.

Some you can stealth your way past if you've pumped points into that.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Come on now, true TTLG Sneakmasters don't need to pump extra points into Stealth to ghost past baddies.

I've made it through Psychotronics, but instead of heading into the GUTS I went outside and patched a hole, then discovered a sideobjective in Hardware Labs so I went back there.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Been playing Prey all weekend. I love it! In Life Support now. Been playing on Normal so far, but after I made it through the standoff in Cargo Bay without loosing a friendly or a single turret I decided it was time to grow a pair and turn it up to Hard.

Man up and play on the hardest difficulty you poseur.

Wow, you're speeding through the game! I only just had the Cargo Bay standoff and lost two turrets (on Normal), but then I'm not a gaming god like you. ;-)

In the meantime I think I'm pretty close to the end. Alex has just called me for an actual face-to-face confrontation, which makes me think that the game is about to pull back the curtain. I've got a bunch of side missions to finish first, not least the one with the treasure maps, but it's really a case of mopping up things. Which is cool: Prey is one of my favourite games of recent years, but I was afraid it might overstay its welcome. If I will indeed get to the end within the next hour or two, it's more or less the right size.

I do wish that Arkane had more financial success than they apparently have. I love what they do with their games and they're at the very top of the industry when it comes to creating amazing virtual spaces.

No you're not, IIRC But it doesn't stretch far too long, or just for the length's sake. I found it a bit tiring, but I was playing the last 6 hours in one sitting, so that might be it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ok good to know. I'm about to have my face-to-face with Alex as well, tho there's still things to be done downstairs.

I'm still coming upon side missions; I like how organically they develop from the scenario, rather than feeling like a bunch of icons sprinkled across the map. I also like how several of them require you to think of the different parts of the station like a real place in order to come up with alternative means of getting from A to B. It's always a good sign if a game trains you in subtle ways to not just look left and right but up and down as well.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Are there not supposed to be any Disruptor Stun Gun battery pickups after the first 10 hours or so, or is my game bugging out? I found a lot of use for that gun early on, but eventually I run out of batteries for so long that I removed it from the favourites wheel. Then I came to the point where I have to incapacitate Dahl and realized I was gonna need it again. Fished it out of my inventory, thinking surely I must've picked up some batteries for it in the last 18 or so hours of the game, but nope. Nada. Luckily I realized there was a fabricator downstairs, so I went and fabricated a battery so I could stun him. Crisis averted.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast