TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Prey (2017) - Arkane Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    If you think this is the best that pop culture ever had to offer, you should lay off the LSD.
    How old were you when Shocking Blue were popular? If I were Dutch, I'd probably consider that the best year then.

Banana in Space!?

A demo has been announced for the end of the month...for PS4 and XB1. You would think Arkane would want to reassure people on PC who remember the sketchy performance of Dishonored 2 on release.

TIME TO PREORDER BABY!

forgot link: https://www.pcgamesn.com/prey/prey-demo

I'm pretty much buying it whenever it fits into my budget, hopefully pre-release, because it's fucking Arkane. When they make a game that I don't want to replay 800 times the first year it's out I'll stop pre-ordering their stuff, I promise.

Chakat sex pillow
    It's your money, but you do know that pre-orders funnel that cash more towards Bethesda than Arkane, right?

These days pre-ordering is kinda pointless.

I agree...pre-ordering is not recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    It's your money, but you do know that pre-orders funnel that cash more towards Bethesda than Arkane, right?
    That's who pays the bills, right? More than likely I'll pre-order like 3 days before it comes out, not because of some stupid incentive but just because I'll be able to play the game the day it comes out without waiting for it download and whatever.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Oh god, not another "pre-ordering is evil" discussion.

Chakat sex pillow
    I think we're all cognisant of the fact that they're a bad idea in general, so there's nothing to really discuss, is there?

JM: fair 'nuff. I mentioned that because I feel the same urge: I want to reward developers for being able to keep my trust, but I'd imagine Arkane generally sees their bonuses from total sales revenue and review scores post launch.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 13th Apr 2017 at 23:36.

It's not the best idea to play AAA games at launch in general. If you wait just a couple of weeks, you'll get the benefit of bugfixes and improved drivers and still be able to take part in the conversation.

Only pre-order if you LOVE the franchise. Pre-ordering Fallout 3 for example made perfect sense since you got the awesome lunch box and bobble head figure. Which if you LOVED the fallout universe (like me) then it was great.

There is no rational reason to pre-order games these days, no. BUT it can be a nice little token of confidence. It was always very motivation to see when people pre-ordered my own games (tho that usually came with an early access to it).

Or of true respect for the games company in question.

verbose douchebag
    Since it's 100% voluntary, I don't understand the issue.

There are some arguments here, for instance: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...s-any-more-eh/. I'm sure there are also others. You may not find the points all that relevant and convincing, but there are clearly arguments why preordering is a bad thing, regardless of whether it's voluntary or not.

In regards to this game I'm refusing to watch any gameplay vids of it in action. I'd prefer to have a fresh gameplay experience + not knowing at all what to expect when I do play it.

GMG has sent keys out and the preload is live, if anyone went that route.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Almost forgot about this. I'm optimistic it will be good, but I'll wait for TTLG reviews.

Good first impressions. The very beginning felt a little underwhelming, but the pace kicks up. Almost an hour in and it definitely feels like System Shock 2/Bioshock, with a hint of Deus Ex: Invisible War - of all things.

So a plagiaristic hodge-podge...good to know.

Were you expecting otherwise from Arkane? That's what they do best - tributes to LGS/IS/Irrational classics with fantastic gameplay.

verbose douchebag
    The Steam reviews are looking good. Cheap keys here is anyone is interested: https://www.gamesdeal.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=prey

I'm loving it so far.

I went into it not really thinking much about the enemy design, but I think it plays fine. There are no places to casually loot because you don't ever feel truly safe, even when backtracking. Weapons are mostly short range and ammo is scarce, along with the enemies loving to close range on you quickly. Most fights are either chaotic ambushes or tense moments where you try and weigh up what's going to give you the edge before you go running in (even more so when enemy info bar shows a human name and you wonder whether they can be saved later. I don't know the answer to that.) Enemies don't seem easy to cheese, and every scrap feels like attrition rather than something to master cleanly. The best strategy is to slow or immobilise them with powers, turrets, or the gloo gun, etc, because they're fast and sneaky.

The general design is great, but at its core nothing you wouldn't expect. Plenty of rewards for climbing to off limits areas, stuff drifting around in space, creative ways to get safe and door codes.

Prey has been a game I haven't read about or followed much, besides the E3 2016 trailer and the trailer from a few days ago. I knew hardly anything about it starting it up this evening, so I was very pleasantly surprised when I picked up the wrench, broke the glass in my apartment, and discovered a new System Shock 2. The sense of isolation, the dead bodies, the mysterious person communicating to you...perfect.

My only complaint so far is that the load times are a tad too long, and I'd prefer a story totally detached from our history rather than an alternate timeline. But still, I know I'm going to love this one. I mean, there are even psi hypos! Things like that, and the wrench, make me feel like I'm in heaven.