TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Prey (2017) - Arkane Austin

Loud, abrasive and atonal eh? Sounds like I'm gonna love his scores!

Southquarter.com/fms
    I'm not sure why Arkane didn't include more options for minimizing the HUD right out of the box, that's kind of standard practice for immersive sims these days - even Thief 2014 did it. I've heard they're "working on it" with a future patch, but that doesn't do me much good when I'm playing through the game right now.

They sure like their black gradient for sneaking again. Has none of the testers reported that it makes you feel drowsy and you can simply miss stuff because of that thing? And it's been like that since since Dishonored 1?

I can honestly say I barely notice that. I barely noticed it in Thief 4 (what was more troublesome there was that horrible shimmering that happened when you left darkness).

As far as the HUD goes, I feel about the same way as I do about the HUD in the Deus Ex games. You have a magical cyber-eyeball, why not have waypoints and whatnot on it.

What video game character doesn't have magical cyber eyeballs these days.

This character would need one anyway, since using neuromods is basically stabbing yourself in the eye on a regular basis.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Anyone else finding this game difficult? I'm getting my ass handed to me on "Hard" level, and there's areas now that I won't even go into because I know I don't have a chance (specifically the Crew Quarters areas with the mind control aliens). I'm digging the challenge though - even though I keep running out of ammo, I know this isn't Doom and you have to get creative with your tools and the environment.

The Disruptor pistol is your friend on that level. I never found it terribly useful until I realized what it does to the Corrupted Operators and the Mind controlled crew. I nearly recycled it and ~1000 ammo that I kept picking up and never using. Thought I'd give it a try. It's non-lethal on non-robotic targets.

There are things I keep realizing about the game mechanics that I feel dumb for not discovering sooner.

ie. I knew that the Gloo gun can put out fires, whether from pipes or from the pools of solvent all over the floor, but did you know that you can cover the malfunctioning electrical panels with it? To stop the arching. Then you can run in and repair them before the electric charge breaks through the foam. The only place in the station I think I haven't been yet is the shuttle bay and most of the EVA areas, been playing for probably 15 hours, and I JUST figured that out.
    Last edited by Volitions Advocate; 15th May 2017 at 11:34.

It's kinda cheese, but I've been using the silenced pistol to lure enemies out one by one, then stunning them with the disruptor and finishing them off with shotgun blasts.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Feels like every time I used the Disrupter, it had no effect on anyone, so I just stopped trying. Does it knock people/aliens out permanently? I would love to have a blackjack although you probably couldn't get close enough to the minions to use it.

I would also love a sniper rifle, but that probably makes things way too easy.

You're probably making the mistake I initially did; to use the Disruptor you have to hold the trigger down until it charges, then release it to fire.

And stock without upgrades it only has a range of a few meters.

It would seem that Yahtzee likes it. "How many spiritual successors does one game need?" Lol.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Yeah, I kind of feel bad for Routine (if it ever comes out), inevitably it will suffer by comparison and over saturation.

I just activated the servers and I love those cutscenes played on "3d" screens, so you can see it from multiple angles. That thing about dr. Calvino's coffee, that was a really nice idea

Man, just how long is this game? I'm 43h in and still on the first playthrough. Not that I'm complaining. At one point I thought I was near the end but that wasn't even close. So many surprises.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Yeah, I kind of feel bad for Routine (if it ever comes out), inevitably it will suffer by comparison and over saturation.
    I dunno, what they've revealed about Routine struck me as more of a Frictional-style game than a Shock game.

With a hint of Alien - but while waiting for it, Alien: Isolation was already announced, released, and now that's history.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Abandoned moon base, horror theme, upgradable weapons, it's all fairly similar. I guess we won't really know until (if) it comes out since there's less than 10 minutes of footage available.

I don't really have much to actually say about Prey that isn't spoilery, but god damn this game is good. I hope we don't have to wait a substantial amount of time for the 2 (2!!!) Arkane studios to release their next games.

You know, they could even make a sequel about a bounty hunter in a semi-open world cyberpunk city, with detective work and parkour chasing sequences, and I wouldn't be mad.

Okay, so first was January, now it's December, does it mean there's a whole year of playstyles, approaches, and hidden agendas?

Just finished it. I'm still processing the entire thing but I'm definitively satisfied with what I got. Will post some thoughts later.

For now I'll just say that I only really have one bigger complaint: you become too powerful by the last third of the game. Sure you can probably never install any upgrades but if you're playing normally and you're reasonably competenet in games like that, you'll end up with way more Neuromods than you'll ever need.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Maybe I've just been playing too much lately, but I'm getting a bit burned out on the whole continual task list routine. Open this door, access that area, flip this switch, access that mainframe. I'm waiting patiently for something to actually happen. I'm still enjoying it, but it seems to be taking it's time getting anywhere meaningful.

I'm too busy exploring areas I'm not supposed to be in yet and backtracking to visit areas I couldn't visit the first time I was in an area to really follow what's going on main story wise half the time.

On a related note to that second point, and hopefully not a big mechanical spoiler, unless you're doing some "kill everything by throwing stuff at it" run the "lifting heavy items" upgrade is pretty useless for accessing areas blocked by debris once you get recycler grenades.
    Last edited by Jason Moyer; 18th May 2017 at 19:32.