TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Prey (2017) - Arkane Austin

Haven't listened to it yet, but there's a bit of an interview with Chris Avellone about his work on Prey here apparently: http://kotaku.com/podcast-how-preys-...ife-1795332509

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Mick's scores are tonally perfect for what they're melded to, which is more than I can say for a lot of other recent games.
    His soundtrack is one of the reasons why I absolutely cannot stand playing Doom 2016 despite its fairly decent (albeit very repetitive) gunplay. That and the joyless, convoluted and downright frustrating plot that the developers tried to pass as silly and subversive...
    Last edited by JohnnyTheWolf; 21st May 2017 at 09:42.

Chakat sex pillow
    Different strokes, I guess. Turn the music down, then?

I haven't been paying attention to Prey's plot much because the real meat of it is in the exploration and mucking around with its systems to move forward.

I was talking about Doom 2016's plot, not Prey's. From what I have seen of the latter, it looks alright. A bit lacking in terms of character and personality, but alright.

Chakat sex pillow
    You thought Doom 2016 had a plot? You tried to get invested in the story for... Doom? That's the first mistake. It's half corporate satire/parody and half tongue-in-cheek self-mythology whilst you repeatedly give Hayden the finger. It's hilarious, and you shouldn't take it seriously because that was never the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    You thought Doom 2016 had a plot? You tried to get invested in the story for... Doom?
    No, but it turned out the developers just would not let me skip any of the cutscenes where the player-character either punches a computer screen or eviscerates a monster and the story sequences where you have no choice but to listen to a guy who basically sounds like the Crysis nanosuit delivers plot exposition in a rather dour tone. Hilarious stuff, indeed. Best satire I have played since Dead Space.

Sarcasm aside, for a game that is not to be taken seriously, everything about it - from the gritty, realistic aesthetics to the overly serious, complicated lore - strikes me as oddly unhumourous. The only vaguely amusing things are the easter eggs, namely the Doomguy dolls and the classic levels - which stick out as a sore thumb and look terrible in contrast to the game's modern graphics and lighting.
    Last edited by JohnnyTheWolf; 21st May 2017 at 21:49.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTheWolf View Post
    A bit lacking in terms of character and personality, but alright.
    Play it. Plenty of both in Prey.

Where's the subforum already?!

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTheWolf View Post
    No, but it turned out the developers just would not let me skip any of the cutscenes where the player-character either punches a computer screen or eviscerates a monster and the story sequences where you have no choice but to listen to a guy who basically sounds like the Crysis nanosuit delivers plot exposition in a rather dour tone. Hilarious stuff, indeed. Best satire I have played since Dead Space.

Sarcasm aside, for a game that is not to be taken seriously, everything about it - from the gritty, realistic aesthetics to the overly serious, complicated lore - strikes me as oddly unhumourous. The only vaguely amusing things are the easter eggs, namely the Doomguy dolls and the classic levels - which stick out as a sore thumb and look terrible in contrast to the game's modern graphics and lighting.
    All of those were fine. I think you're approaching this from an angle where you were predisposed to dislike the entire game because it was different from what you wanted it to be, so for you its perceived faults are magnified.

The exposition lasted a minute or two at best between hours of shooting/punching things to death, jumping and explosions, so their function as interstitials between level blow-outs didn't really bother me. The lore is... not complicated. At all. It's a send-up of technobullshit lore in games by a bunch of nerds. I found it silly, but if you didn't like it, it's completely optional. It's not like you can't ignore it.

Thing What Kicks
    Yeah, there's a of of flat-out absurdism on display in Doom 2016, from holograms asking for employees to volunteer to be sacrificed, delivered in chipper corporate tones, to the secondary flavour-texts unlocked for monsters.

Don't get me wrong, JohnnyTheWolf's highlighted unskippable exposition sequences piss me off every time I replay the early levels. But thankfully, they're very front-loaded, and there's far less of that stuff the further in you get.
    And if you're prepared to read the lore texts that get unlocked, there's quite a bit to laugh about.

Chakat sex pillow
    That's a good point. The bursts of exposition level off after the initial few hours. I think my runthrough lasted about 15 hours total, out of which most of Hayden's bits were in the first 2 hours.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I think I'm getting close to the end now, as Alex has asked me to stop by his office to talk. I've put the main story on hold and started working on side quests, which just keep on coming. This game has a ton of content, and at the moment feels sort of endless. My last save game says 30 hours, and I can't see finishing before putting in at least another 10.

I've also got on this kick with using the terminals in the security stations and trying to locate every single (usually dead) person in each area (Lobby, Hardware Labs, etc.) It's kind of OCD, but also kind of fun, and usually yields some nice goodies. You find people in the strangest places sometimes.

Beware spoilers for an unreleased game.

Thanks for sharing that N'Al, an interesting watch.

Bloody hell, I want that game. I want it now!

I have to add my vote how good this game is. From the trailers, I was quite neutral about the game sijce it looked like regular fps, in spite of declaration about being SS2 succesor. I also considered Arkane games too much action and aggresive. However, my favourite reviewer, known for his love of LGS, convinced me to try the Prey on steam (2h for free). After 2h I was incredible happy to play SS3. OH.MY.GOOD. Why it took so long to create such a masterpiece? Some people say that last third of the game is easy and to action pumped. Yes and no. When I was in that part of the game I was to self-confident that a certain turnout catch me unawere. And knce again I was the Prey and not the Hunter. Until the end, the game is fantastic. And I actually like the end. SS2 had worse one :-D

It completly changed my view on Arkane games and I juat bought Dishonored2

Btw. "December" is to similar to "Deciever" to be taken seriously without suspicion .
    Last edited by mysakbm; 7th Jun 2017 at 15:01.