TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project AM2R (Metroid 2 Remake) Released

Project AM2R (Metroid 2 Remake) Released

Ever since playing Super Metroid on the Super Nintendo I've been a huge fan of the 2D Metroid games. Sadly for me, after Super Metroid there was next to no Metroid sequels to come out besides Metroid - Zero Mission + Metroid Fusion on the gameboy advance MANY years later. The NES original and Metroid 2 I never played. I'm not including the FPS entries as those are a completely different vein of the series.

Several years ago Project AM2R was setup by fans of the 2D Metroid games to create a more snes graphics style update to Metroid 2 considering that the first game got a update in that style (Metroid Zero Mission) by Nintendo itself, but never the sequel.

Personally I'm very excited by this and can't wait to have a play of it.

You can grab it here:
    Here

ZylonBane
    How has this not been C&D'd into a fine mist?

It really is amazing that it hasn't. And if he's totally finished now, I'm jumping all over it (played a few different versions of the alpha). Metroid 2 was my first metroid game.

Nintendo can be pretty apathetic about fan projects that don't make a profit in any way or "compete" with Nintendo's current projects. That was when Iwata was still alive, though.

Well it would be too late to stop it now that it's out.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Just thought I'd point out the significance of the date - the original Metroid was released on August 6th in Japan - 30 years ago.

I too am looking forward to playing this, hopefully with an actual SNES controller.

"This file has been removed due to copyright claims by Nintendo"

Oh dear! Both download links are down!

Southquarter.com/fms
    It may go back up at some point, looks like the C&D they got might be bogus. If anyone wants a copy in the meantime though, just PM me.

If nothing else, this is some good publicity for the project. There are a lot of websites out there who may not have particularly cared about a fan tribute for an old platformer, but it's definitely news now.

I'm not sure what you guys are on about, I was able to download it from the main page of the website. I'm an hour in, it seems pretty good so far, very polished. Maybe a tad too easy on normal difficulty.

Southquarter.com/fms
    The announcement post has now been deleted from the site, so I don't know how you were able to download anything. The link in the OP now just gives a 404.

Same goes for me, if anyone needs a download link, send me a PM. It's an excellent remake all in all. Been playing it all week.

And if it was Nintendo that sent the C&D their a little too late for that. The remakes up on torrent sites already. Can't stop the signal now.

It's more about defending the trademark and less about preventing from copies getting out.

It reminds me of the old joke:

"What do you call 100,000 lawyers at the bottom of the sea?"
    "A good start."

Also, thirded on the download link, anyone who needs a link can also PM me.

Just finished off AM2R. This is easily the best fan done remake of a game that I've ever played. I'd have paid money for this, it's this good. Whilst this is not as good as Super Metroid, it's definitely better than Metroid Zero Mission (Nintendo's official GBA remake of the first game) and Metroid Fusion (Nintendo's sequel to Super Metroid). So yes it's better than the majority of Nintendo's own later 2D Metroids, following Super Metroid.

If you liked or loved Super Metroid, you OWE IT to yourself to find a download of this somewhere and play it. It's THAT GOOD. I was playing this all week (9 and a half hours of gameplay in my case) and loved every second. The musics fantastic, the level design is excellent, the graphics are spot on to the style they were going for (Snes/GBA style), the new enhancement are excellent and most importantly it FEELS like a Metroid game.

Nintendo needs to go and contact these people and make this an official Nintendo game, as the quality surpasses that of the majority of fan made projects that I've played. It's commercial quality imo.

Did anybody manage to grab the 1.1 update before everything closed down? I only have 1.0, and while I haven't run into any game breaking bugs I'm worried it might happen.
    The site says it's officially over forever and there wont be any more updates for 1.2 or anything into the future, but you can download a remastered version of the OST from the website that would have been included.

In any case. if you managed to grab 1.1, I might be listening to my inbox ifyouknowwhatImean.

Star Wars fans making shit for the joy of Star Wars never hurt the franchise. Nintendo (and so many others) need to pull their head out.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    Star Wars fans making shit for the joy of Star Wars never hurt the franchise. Nintendo (and so many others) need to pull their head out.
    To be fair, most Star Wars fan works tend to only use the universe as a backdrop, creating their own characters and stories within it. What this guy did, awesome though it may have been, would be like someone remaking The Empire Strikes Back without permission.

you haven't watched Star Wars uncut?
    People did the entire movie in 15 second clips. They did a big contest and everything, the people with the best segment for each 15 seconds were chosen for the remake. It was awesome!

http://www.starwarsuncut.com/newhope

Check your inbox Volition. I may know of a place.

I played through the 1.0 version of the game and don't recall experiencing a single bug at all. Other people reported that the gravity suit caused visual issues, but that wasn't the case for me.

Nintendo actually has let some stuff like that pass without a comment in the past. Like Zelda Classic, for example. I guess the times have changed.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

And at E3 Nintendo revealed a particular trailer:

A 3DS re-imagining of Metroid 2. So the reason for the crackdown on AM2R is all too clear now. Looking at the trailer video I prefer AM2R a thousand times over compared to it.

What would have been so wrong with just going with snes-level 2D sprite graphics like Metroid Zero mission did? That game was fantastic.

Agreed. It looks pretty blocky and blurry, like a lot of 3DS games, I find. The system seems to work better for simpler, flatter art styles, like A Link Between Worlds or Animal Crossing.

Moderator and Priest
    I think it looks fine, personally. It's pretty lo-fi compared to the latest and greatest, but I like the style nonetheless.

Though one thing I could say about the Gameboy original, the jet black backgrounds, and limited color palette helped create a lonely, lost atmosphere that both AM2R and this haven't been able to replicate.

El Shagmeister
    I don't mind the 3D much, but I wish it was less bright. More contrast of light and shadow. Give me dat Metroid brooding atmosphere.

<3