TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: New FM program: NewDarkLoader version 1.5.5

Is anyone else having similar problems?

I've finally gotten around to download v1.2.
    But I'm not experiencing what Dahenjo describes, so far.
    I've got around 860 FM's in my T2 folder.

It's 1.3 I'm referring to in this post .. try that one.

Doesn't have none of the issues posted by @Dahenjo on 1.3. For me Opening NDL, returning from thief, sorting, refreshing, has de same delay, about 2 seconds.

I have 484 missions, they are 19Gb in size.

Is that using your existing NDL.ini or did you set up fresh with no ini? Just curious but I had these issues both ways. With 1.2 everything worked fine either way with no delays, so for me something in 1.3 introduced the problem with all folders, settings, etc exactly the same, and I have 787 T2 FMs.

I use the .ini provided in the new version, and then, I select the folder for the fanmissions, nothing more. You have to change the ini in every version.

Ok, thanks. So you deleted the NewDarkLoader.ini used by 1.2 before moving to 1.3, correct? Actually, NDL doesn't come with the ini, it creates one on first start if it doesn't exist, or it can use an existing one created by a previous version. During testing, R Soul told us just to overwrite the previous NewDarkLoader.dll file (not the ini) each time and it could use the ini already there, but I've just tried it both ways (with and without the ini) on 1.3 and still get the same problems. Until 1.3 I was using the existing ini for each new version and everything worked normally.

Now I'm doing a fresh T2 install to test with 1.2 and 1.3 to see if there was something in the old T2 install that may be causing this, and will report on those results.
    EDIT: Brand new T2 install, after setting up using 1.3 it had just as long delays as with the old T2 (reported above) and very obviously still wasn't working right. I then overwrote the NewDarkLoader.dll from 1.3 with the one from 1.2 and using the same ini file that 1.3 had created, it opened immediately and worked normally. The only difference was the DLL.

So far it's only caqo who has tried 1.3 so can one or two others please try it?
    Last edited by Dahenjo; 19th Sep 2016 at 23:24.

You're right, I was confused by the english.ini file.

Now I'm so lost. I copied the newdarkloader.dll from the zip file (1.3), and overwrite the other, both was same version and size, and now I have all the issues that Dahenjo wrote. NDL takes too much time to be opened.

So, I can confirm Dahenjo's issues.

EDIT: I found something interesting. I noticed that everytime you run Thief, NDL re creates the file NewDarkloader.ini, but I noticed that it is done several times, if you see the file while wait for NDL to load, you can see that the ini file size changes from 0 bytes to 61 Bytes (in my case), at least 4 times, and each time it takes a time.
    Last edited by caqo; 20th Sep 2016 at 01:00.

Quote Originally Posted by caqo View Post
    You're right, I was confused by the english.ini file.

Now I'm so lost. I copied the newdarkloader.dll from the zip file (1.3), and overwrite the other, both was same version and size, and now I have all the issues that Dahenjo wrote. NDL takes too much time to be opened.

So, I can confirm Dahenjo's issues.

EDIT: I found something interesting. I noticed that everytime you run Thief, NDL re creates the file NewDarkloader.ini, but I noticed that it is done several times, if you see the file while wait for NDL to load, you can see that the ini file size changes from 0 bytes to 61 Bytes (in my case), at least 4 times, and each time it takes a time.
    That is strange if it was the same version, but thanks for trying it again and confirming it wasn't just me. And that is interesting what you noticed, I didn't think to look at the NDL.ini while waiting. It shouldn't do that and hopefully it is a clue to help R Soul find the problem. I went back to 1.2 with my old T2 install so am fine again for now. You can get 1.2 again from the OP if you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahenjo View Post
    It's 1.3 I'm referring to in this post .. try that one.
    My apologies.
    I can also confirm Dahenjo's experience with v1.3.
    I replaced newdarkloader.dll, english.ini, and readme.html from v1.3 over v1.2.
    There is a serious lag in loading NDL and column sorting.

Thanks for the feedback. I was beginning to suspect column sorting, which also happens on startup because sort preferences are remembered.

I've reduced the number of times the ini file is written to. Now it only happens when the window closes. That may seem unrelated to sorting, but the sort state was being saved in the ini file, and NDL was doing that with a lot of other values too. I wanted to keep the ini up to date, but since most things are shown to the user via the interface, NDL need only update the file once per session.
    Please try this version and see if performance is better:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/2p...oader1.3.1.zip

For users of previous versions, only NewDarkLoader.dll needs to be extracted. No language changes since 1.2.
    Last edited by R Soul; 20th Sep 2016 at 23:06.

1.3.1 is better in all respects, no lag now doing any of those things. Good work!

A small thing I would love to have fixed is the mousewheel focus on Windows 7 and below: You have to click a pane first to have it focused, then only the mousewheel works in that pane.
    You probably have "automatic" focus on the hovering mouse pointer on Wndows 8 and beyond because the system does it for you, so the problem do not appear on these more modern systems.

It is a known "lack of feature" on Windows 7, which often leads to add code like
    if (window.canFocus()) {window.setFocus()} as a workaround.

And yes, I had the lag issue too in 1.3, now gone in 1.3.1, thank you !

As I started looking in to the problem I realised why there was such a long delay. I had it so that saving any ini value would update the file, but my code for saving the sorting info was being made during a 'sort compare' event, which happens each time one cell is compared to another. When sorting a column, every cell has to be compared to every other cell, so that's a lot of file updating.

The ini values are stored in memory, so I changed the save feature to only save to memory, and leave file updating till the window closes. And 'save sort info' now only happens after sorting has finished.

From now on I'll only be tweaking things/fixing bugs. No new features. I consider the Win7 scroll thing to be a tweak, so I'll see what I can do about that.

No DOS version coming???

Jeez.........

1.3.2 is ready for a look:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/6i...oader1.3.2.zip

Main changes:
    * For Windows 7 and below, controls are auto-focussed when the mouse enters (FM table, tag list, readme).
    * Selecting a new FM automatically scrolls to the top of the readme. Previously, if you selected an FM and scrolled down the readme, then selected another FM, the readme would still be scrolled down.

Known issues:
    * Does not work in DOS
    * Does not support Lemmings.

A small preliminary test indicates no problems encountered.
    Previously noted issues appear to be taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post

Main changes:
    * For Windows 7 and below, controls are auto-focussed when the mouse enters (FM table, tag list, readme).
    Works perfectly, thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post

Main changes:
    * Selecting a new FM automatically scrolls to the top of the readme. Previously, if you selected an FM and scrolled down the readme, then selected another FM, the readme would still be scrolled down.

Known issues:
    * Does not work in DOS
    * Does not support Lemmings.
    I DEMAND Lemmings support, such a deal breaker!

Ok have a bug with new version 1.32
    System shock 2 no longer works with it. Thief gold,2 and 3 work fine but system shock 2 won't load up at all. If I comment out the newdarkloader in cam_mod.ini the game loads fine.
    All I did was to copy the 3 files over. Can you fix this R Soul?

What was the last version that worked with SS2? I saw a post from you saying 1.2 worked fine, but I don't know if that was for SS2 or Thief only. It's a strange situation because the code for interacting with the .exe file hasn't changed since the first version. Another challenge is that I don't have SS2.

For reference, here's 1.3.1:

1.3:
    (this was the one with terrible lag)

1.2:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/fm...kLoader1.2.zip

1.1:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/f1...kLoader1.1.zip

1:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/90...Version1.0.zip

You only need to extract NewDarkLoader.dll to test an older version.

I use newdarkloader for all programs and yes 1.2 was the last version I had. What can we do to fix this?

I think the first thing I need to know is how far do you get when you run the SS2 shortcut/exe? Does nothing happen, do you get an error message, do you see any kind of UI?

I see nothing as its like it never loads at all. I may tonight try putting 1.2 back on just system shock 2 and see what happens.

Edit: Putting newdarkloader.ini 1.2 in shock2 works. So its definitely something in 1.32 that shock2 don't like. Hope this helps you figure it out. Otherwise I can just try to remember not to update shock2 in the future.
    Last edited by Stingm; 23rd Sep 2016 at 23:47.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast