TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: New FM program: NewDarkLoader version 1.5.5

Here's a version of 1.3.2 with logging enabled:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/9q...er1.3.2Log.zip

It'll create a file in your SS2 folder called NDLlog.txt. Please run NDL and send me the log results. Hopefully I'll be able to find out which part is failing.

I sent it too you in a private message. Hope it helps

Edit: I couldn't find an email for you. Thanks again for the help

Some feedback on version 1.3.2. :

- the program starts very slow for the first time (after each windows startup, it takes like 15 seconds
    - as I scroll through the missions and doing SINGLE mouse clicks on them, some mission just START Thief
    - as I srcoll through the missions, clicking on some missions take very long to load the info

My config is win7, core i5 3,3 Ghz, 8GB RAM and never had any problem like this even with the previous version of NewDarkLoader.

Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Stingm View Post
    I sent it too you in a private message. Hope it helps
    It did help. An error was caused because the first FM in your list, Arboretum, has an html readme. That problem has been rectified.

Here's a link to 1.3.3:
    http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/NewDarkLoader1.3.3.zip

I can't log in to Mediafire right now but if I can get back in the link will change.

ticky, your PC specs are similar to mine, except for the OS, which for me is Windows 10. It should be much quicker than that.

I can't explain the other problems either. I've been using VirtualBox with unactivated versions of other Windows OSs, and for me on Win7 it works fine. The first thing I suggest is trying the above version, though I doubt that would have any effect.

What if your mouse is faulty and it's sending lots clicks when you single click? It doesn't explain things fully. Another thing to consider is that your version of the .net framework 4.5.1 isn't quite right, and reinstalling might work.

That worked R Soul. Thanks a bunch. All games are now on version 1.33

Hey R Soul, if you're looking for some new features to implement, a button opening FM archive folder would be nice, or being able to hide certain columns. The text "Press F5 to look for new FMs" when hovering over table should really say "Press F5 to refresh the list" (Edit: I just noticed that the table doesn't update when deleting missions, so the prompt is actually correct..)

Also, I experience the same problem as ticky with long startup. Though it happens with other games like Dustforce as well, I'd guess it might be HDD/RAM related.

Finally, if any of you have problems scanning "The Chalice of Souls", deleting the release date in fm.ini fixed the problem for me.

Thanks for the NDL, it's great
    Last edited by czyys; 26th Sep 2016 at 10:59.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    It did help. An error was caused because the first FM in your list, Arboretum, has an html readme. That problem has been rectified.

Here's a link to 1.3.3:
    http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/NewDarkLoader1.3.3.zip

I can't log in to Mediafire right now but if I can get back in the link will change.

ticky, your PC specs are similar to mine, except for the OS, which for me is Windows 10. It should be much quicker than that.

I can't explain the other problems either. I've been using VirtualBox with unactivated versions of other Windows OSs, and for me on Win7 it works fine. The first thing I suggest is trying the above version, though I doubt that would have any effect.

What if your mouse is faulty and it's sending lots clicks when you single click? It doesn't explain things fully. Another thing to consider is that your version of the .net framework 4.5.1 isn't quite right, and reinstalling might work.

Thank you for the reply. I just discovered that my HDD works REALLY hard when I click on newdarkloader 1.3.3. for the first time after windows startup. Also, it does the same sometimes when I open a folder with many files in it - but in fact, just for the first time. After that, everything works fine.

I have the latest framework also.

So I don't really have any idea. It's doing something different from the old darkloader, since the old one didn't do this.

Quote Originally Posted by czyys View Post
    Hey R Soul, if you're looking for some new features to implement, a button opening FM archive folder would be nice, or being able to hide certain columns. The text "Press F5 to look for new FMs" when hovering over table should really say "Press F5 to refresh the list" (Edit: I just noticed that the table doesn't update when deleting missions, so the prompt is actually correct..)
    Nah, it should remove deleted FMs, but I didn't think of it. That's done now, and I've changed the text to 'refresh'. I initially eschewed that word because I didn't want to give the user the impression it would re-scan the data.

Finally, if any of you have problems scanning "The Chalice of Souls", deleting the release date in fm.ini fixed the problem for me.
    The value is supposed to be a hexadecimal number (the number of days since 1/1/1970) but that FM has it in mm/dd/yy format. NDL should be able to work it out if the format matches your 'date format' option, but if you use dd/mm/yy, it won't work. An improper format is now treated as empty, and the program continues with other ways of working it out (readme modified date, for example).

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I just discovered that my HDD works REALLY hard when I click on newdarkloader 1.3.3. for the first time after windows startup. Also, it does the same sometimes when I open a folder with many files in it - but in fact, just for the first time. After that, everything works fine.

I have the latest framework also.

So I don't really have any idea. It's doing something different from the old darkloader, since the old one didn't do this.
    Also in response to czyys:
    I'm afraid I haven't noticed anything odd. The procedure for finding and listing FMs hasn't changed much, but it's interesting that you both mention having performance problems in other situations too. Older versions of NDL are in this post so it would be helpful if you could try those versions so we can see if the problem is caused by a change to NDL or something that's recently started with your hard drives.

But anyway, here's version 1.3.4
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/fu...oader1.3.4.zip

Changes:
    * The refresh feature works better, and is called 'Refresh'.
    * If you delete an FM and then select it without refreshing, NDL will remove it from the table instead of crashing.
    * I discovered one FM with a strangely formatted readme file, so NDL can handle them now.

The value is supposed to be a hexadecimal number (the number of days since 1/1/1970) but that FM has it in mm/dd/yy format. NDL should be able to work it out if the format matches your 'date format' option, but if you use dd/mm/yy, it won't work. An improper format is now treated as empty, and the program continues with other ways of working it out (readme modified date, for example).
    Thanks for the explaination, I did wonder how NDL still managed to figure out the release date.

I tested running Thief after PC starts with NDL 1.0, NDL 1.3.4 and FMsel. There seem to be no difference between NDL versions, they both take ~10 seconds to start, FMsel takes ~4 seconds, so I Imagine NDL is just somehow more resource heavy and my HDD is tired. There's also no difference whether FM archive folder is empty or not.

All the other changes work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by czyys View Post
    Thanks for the explaination, I did wonder how NDL still managed to figure out the release date.

I tested running Thief after PC starts with NDL 1.0, NDL 1.3.4 and FMsel. There seem to be no difference between NDL versions, they both take ~10 seconds to start, FMsel takes ~4 seconds, so I Imagine NDL is just somehow more resource heavy and my HDD is tired. There's also no difference whether FM archive folder is empty or not.

All the other changes work fine.
    Hi Guys!

Same here, except my NDL versions take like 15 seconds. The HDD is 1TRB and not THAT old, it's from the end of 2012. FMsel for me takes 3-4 seconds. Darkloader (old) takes 2 seconds.

I wonder how this problem can be solved.

I'm not an IT guy but it looks like NDL is scanning the whole FM directory at startup, or loads more info right at startup instead of doing it when you click on a mission. This could partly explain the fact that I never experienced any problem like this even with GarretLoader.

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    I'm not an IT guy but it looks like NDL is scanning the whole FM directory at startup, or loads more info right at startup instead of doing it when you click on a mission. This could partly explain the fact that I never experienced any problem like this even with GarretLoader.
    Just curious, have you done the 'Scan All FMs' (from the right-click menu in table)? That could take 5-10+ minutes depending on your system & number of FMs, but then with that data retained you might have less delay otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahenjo View Post
    Just curious, have you done the 'Scan All FMs' (from the right-click menu in table)? That could take 5-10+ minutes depending on your system & number of FMs, but then with that data retained you might have less delay otherwise.
    I don't think it has anything to do with scanning the FMs, I tested it with FM folder empty as well. Besides 'Scan All FMs' takes ~30 seconds for my number of FMs so NDL definitely doesn't do this at the start.

I can confirm that it doesn't scan FMs when it loads. It gets a list of files and some standard file data, but it doesn't open up archives and get any FM info. It gets as much info as it can from NewDarkLoader.ini, and whatever is found gets displayed in the table. If you select an FM, it only scans the FM if there are missing data (FM name, release date etc). Once all data are in the ini file, no more scanning happens unless the user selects re-scan or scan all.

Selecting an FM will always make it extract the readme file. If you don't have 7zip installed and referenced in Setup, it'll use another way of extracting the file, which may be slower than using 7zG.exe.

I have to go now, but I'll give this some more thought and see if I have any other ideas.

I've made a couple of tweaks that may improve performance, but I can't be sure since I don't get these problems:

1.3.5:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/p2tbau...oader1.3.5.zip

I've also added info on a previously undocumented feature: mission authors can generate their own fm.ini files, just like in FMSel.

I've made a couple of tweaks that may improve performance, but I can't be sure since I don't get these problems:

1.3.5:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/p2tbau...oader1.3.5.zip

I've also added info on a previously undocumented feature: mission authors can generate their own fm.ini files, just like in FMSel.

Thank you, will try.

Amazing news: I have changed nothing on my pc, but 1.3.3. loaded 3 seconds for the first time in the last two days. Maybe it's about the condition or the temperature of the HDD.

No changes for me. But I've found this interesting article: Why Is The First Start Of An Application Slow?

It's mostly about testing so I'm not sure how helpful it would be to you, R Soul. The only solution I got from it is to make the application execute less code on startup
    Looking at what additional tasks NDL performs compared to FMsel and Darkloader, and how are they less reasource heavy would be a good start, if you're even interested in going that far because ~10 seconds is really only a minor inconvenience.

ticky, your fast start was most probably some kind of warm start, I recommed reading this article to you as well.

I had at that page but it's a lot to take in in one go. I made a few changes to the code.

Is this any quicker?
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/ppccjl...r1.3.5Test.zip

Besides the FM table code, the GUI requires a lot of work, but I like my GUI. If there's no improvement with the above, here's something else. A while ago ffox was having a problem with the GUI, and eventually I tried a simplified version, which uses fewer things at a cost of less flexibility. Here is that version if you want to try it:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/iu...ader_Size3.zip
    This was from version 1.0 so it will be missing a lot of improvements, but it could suggest something for me to look in to if it's any faster than the official versions.

edit: updated the above 'test' link because it was crashing when new FMs were added (error due to null value, now fixed).
    Last edited by R Soul; 29th Sep 2016 at 12:06.

I've been rewriting the FM table functions after doing some research that suggested the original way could cause performance problems. This affected a lot of the other features but I'm well on the way to getting them working properly with the new way of doing things. Because the program isn't 100% functional I'm not posting a download link, but if anyone wants to have a try, let me know and I'll send it via PM.
    The time consuming parts have been done (scanning dirs, filling the table), so a test will be valid.

Bump.

Can other users say what sort of performance you're getting? I'd like to know if the recently reported long startup times are experienced by lots of people who have been too polite to say anything, or if it's just a few people.

Progress when uninstalling

Could you add a progress bar or some other indication that something is happening when uninstalling a FM? I went to uninstall a large FM and wound up uninstalling and then immediately reinstalling because I thought the program had missed my first click.

startup times: (320GB HDD, Win 7)

v 1.3.2 the first time: 2,1 seconds - the second time: 0,6 seconds
    v 1.3.4 the first time: 2 seconds - the second time: 0,6 seconds
    v 1.3.5test the first time: 1 second - the second time: 0,5 seconds

Thanks. It seems that the delay is a .net problem with some machines, rather than anything specific to NewDarkLoader. I think I'd have already received reports if many people were experiencing a long delay, so, after some more tweaking, I'm almost ready to release version 1.4:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/3idm84...kLoader1.4.zip

I say almost because I'll only put the link in the first post once a few people have confirmed things are still okay (e.g. that I haven't disabled any existing features).
    Last edited by R Soul; 7th Oct 2016 at 21:52.

Okay there is an issue with 1.4 and t3. On startup it gives an error. Uhandled exception has occurred. Index out of range Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name. index then the following shows up: See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    Parameter name: index
    at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(ExceptionArgument argument, ExceptionResource resource)
    at NewDarkLoader.Form1.getCellValue(Int32 row, Int32 col)
    at NewDarkLoader.Form1.fmTable_CellToolTipTextNeeded(Object sender, DataGridViewCellToolTipTextNeededEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnCellToolTipTextNeeded(DataGridViewCellToolTipTextNeededEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnCellToolTipTextNeeded(Int32 columnIndex, Int32 rowIndex, String toolTipText)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCell.GetToolTipText(Int32 rowIndex)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCell.OnCellDataAreaMouseEnterInternal(Int32 rowIndex)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCell.OnMouseMoveInternal(DataGridViewCellMouseEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnCellMouseMove(DataGridViewCellMouseEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.UpdateMouseEnteredCell(HitTestInfo hti, MouseEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnMouseMove(MouseEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseMove(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1080.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    NewDarkLoader
    Assembly Version: 1.4.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.4.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Games/Thief%20-%20Deadly%20Shadows/System/NewDarkLoader.DLL
    System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1038.0 built by: NETFXREL2
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1081.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1078.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1038.0 built by: NETFXREL2
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
    System.Core
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1084.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
    System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1064.2 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    SevenZipSharp
    Assembly Version: 0.64.3890.29348
    Win32 Version: 0.64.3890.29348
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Games/Thief%20-%20Deadly%20Shadows/System/SevenZipSharp.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Rolling back to 1.34 fixes issue.

Edit: Same issue with shock2 and rolling back to 1.34 fixed that as well. So can you fix this for t3 and shock2?

Probably:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/go3d447nia688dp/NewDarkLoader1.4.1.zip

edit: 1.4.2:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/p9jml2...oader1.4.2.zip

(Fixed: Sorting by date caused a crash when there were blank dates)
    Last edited by R Soul; 8th Oct 2016 at 22:20.

I upgraded all games to 1.41 and all is well. Thanks R Soul

Can I ask what all that code told you the issue was?

Whoa another version already..yikes your fast.

Edit: Okay updated to 1.42 and all is well so far.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast