TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New FM program: NewDarkLoader version 1.5.5

"R Soul has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

And whose fault is that???

I've cleared a few PMs.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingm View Post
    Can I ask what all that code told you the issue was?
    The first few lines, plus a description of the same error that Dahenjo gave me in PM (he moved the mouse over a column header).

ArgumentOutOfRangeException means the program is trying to access element number X of a thing containing multiple elements, but X is either less than 0 or more than 'the number of elements - 1' (it's zero indexed, so 0 is the first element, 1 is the second etc).

getCellValue(Int32 row, Int32 col) is the method that was running when the crash happened.
    The elegantly named fmTable_CellToolTipTextNeeded is the method that called getCellValue, and in this case it's the only method that calls it.

Going down the 'at' lines gets less and less specific. Usually for me the first line after the Exception lines gives me enough info. I then go into Visual Studio and can run that method one line at a time, looking at the variables to see when the dodgy value gets set (or when it fails to get set).

And here is 1.4.3, because I had to re-enable Home and End for scrolling to the top and bottom of the table:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/9330cw...oader1.4.3.zip

There is a very minor bug in 1.43. The version still says 1.42 when you use the program. Otherwise all is well. I also wanted to thank you for the explanation on the previous error.

That was actually 1.4.2. I put the wrong files in there

The correct version has been uploaded using the same link.

Thanks for the quick fix,

Last version works very well, thanks R Soul.

I'd like that NDL doesn't close while in game, sometimes when playing a mission, I need to go to forum to see mission's thread for some tips, so, I use ALT-TAB to switch to windows or whatever, but as NDL isn't visible I can't use the search feature. I have to save and quit Thief. Is it possible?
    Last edited by caqo; 10th Oct 2016 at 23:49.

Quote Originally Posted by caqo View Post
    I'd like that NDL doesn't close while in game, sometimes when playing a mission, I need to go to forum to see mission's thread for some tips, so, I use ALT-TAB to switch to windows or whatever, but as NDL isn't visible I can't use the search feature. I have to save and quit Thief. Is it possible?
    That would be nice and also for entering final stats into Comments without having to quit the game, but NDL runs from the game's executable in the same way as FMSel (which you also can't access while in-game), so I doubt that it's possible without redesigning it as a standalone app.

I agree that version 1.4.3 is running very well. There is also a great new feature (I think since v1.4) to adjust the border between top/table and bottom/readme, for example to show more FMs in the list, then you can always 'fullscreen toggle' the readme when needed.

I think an exe would be the only way to go, but I don't want to have two types of NDL out there except for in extreme circumstances, such as some users having an inexplicable problem.

You can alt-tab out of the game, re-run your Thief shortcut and NDL will show up again. You can even edit the Comment or any other field (but uninstalling that FM is just asking for trouble).

I must be doing something wrong. I followed the instructions but it still uses FM Loader. Any suggestions?

Did you edit the cam_mod.ini like this?

fm_selector NewDarkLoader.dll <--- add this line
    ;fm_selector fmsel.dll <-- put semi-colon in front of this line (may not be in instructions)

I have a problem. I can't get any version later than 1.3.5 to run. I try clicking on the desktop icon and it loads for a few seconds then just stops.

UPDATE: It only works if you have a fan mission in your archives. If your folder is empty, it just quits.
    Last edited by Mechs Delight; 16th Oct 2016 at 16:13.

1.4 is when I changed the way the FM table is populated, so that could be the cause. I didn't add any major features - most of the further updates were to fix things caused by the 1.4 changes. In other words, 1.3.5 is very nearly as good as the next versions, and I won't be adding any more features to 1.4.x, so you won't be missing out.

Have you ruled out the FMs themselves causing problems? I.e by moving some of them, especially the most recent, out of their folder, and running NDL, then repeating until you don't get the crash or you've moved out all the FMs.

It's only occurred for me without fan missions in the folder so far.

yeah.. its lovely.. thanks Soul.. I'm love in it

Problems

I've installed NewDarkLoader and got as far as the First Startup/Setup Window which has the following instructions.....

The first time you run your game, NewDarkLoader's Setup window will appear. You need to set the FM Archive folder. If you copied FMSel.ini, this will already have been set, but Setup will still show in order to set some other options. All the other options can be left at their default values, and they can be changed at any time.

The setup window never appears for me. I substituted ;fm for fm_selector NewDarkLoader.dll in the cam_mod.ini folder as per instructions.

So when I run Thief 2, I get the game, but that's all. I tried running it from Steam itself, then going to the Thief 2 folder and running it directly from there with the same results. What am I doing wrong ? Do I have to modify anything else in the cam_mod.ini file. The only instructions in that file would be the
    fm_selector NewDarkLoader.dll. Everything else is preceded with the semi colon.

Also, the initial 3 .dll files have been extracted so it can't be that.

Any ideas ?

I'm not sure what you did in cam_mod.ini was correct if you don't get the setup window. It should look like this for the two sections involved:

; always start the FM Selector (if one is present)
    fm <-- no semi-colon in front of this line

; define the library name of an alternative FM Selector, the default is "fmsel.dll"
    fm_selector NewDarkLoader.dll <-- add this line with no semi-colon
    ;fm_selector fmsel.dll <-- put semi-colon in front of this line

Just switched over to NewDarkLoader and I can safely say I'm never going back. I preferred the old Darkloader but had been using FMSel for a few years now. This merges the best of both. I had hundreds of comments that I assumed was wasted. Was a little bit of work to make the leap as I had quite a few missions already unpacked into T2's FMs folder. I didn't get those to easily transfer so downloaded the .zips over again.

Thank you R Soul!
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports
    Let's Supreme Ghost Thief - YouTube Channel with Thief Let's Plays

Quote Originally Posted by Dahenjo View Post
    I'm not sure what you did in cam_mod.ini was correct if you don't get the setup window. It should look like this for the two sections involved:

; always start the FM Selector (if one is present)
    fm <-- no semi-colon in front of this line

; define the library name of an alternative FM Selector, the default is "fmsel.dll"
    fm_selector NewDarkLoader.dll <-- add this line with no semi-colon
    ;fm_selector fmsel.dll <-- put semi-colon in front of this line
    Your instructions has worked for me. Thanks Dahenjo.

Importing Save Games

Can I import my saves from Garrettloader ? I see that it can be done from DarkLoader to NewDarkLoader.

Glad you got it working, Clock. I don't believe NDL can import from Garrettloader, only from Darkloader.

It depends on how GarrettLoader backs them up. I'll explain how Darkloader does it, and you might be able to trick NewDarkLoader. Darkloader takes the filename "archive_name.zip" and stores the saves in "...Thief2\allsaves\archive_name_saves.zip". The .sav files inside aren't in any folders, they're all at the root.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    It depends on how GarrettLoader backs them up. I'll explain how Darkloader does it, and you might be able to trick NewDarkLoader. Darkloader takes the filename "archive_name.zip" and stores the saves in "...Thief2\allsaves\archive_name_saves.zip". The .sav files inside aren't in any folders, they're all at the root.
    Garrettloader stores save games in a folder named allsaves and places it in the Thief folder. Within the allsaves folder are .zip files for each fan mission. An example would be saves_mightyjoeyoung.zip. Within the zip file are 15 saves plus a quicksave (game0000.sav to game0014.sav + quick.sav

I actually used the import save button to see what would happen, and it DID grind away for about 5 mins, but when completed, I randomly installed a fan mission but could not find any saves(I only checked one fan mission).

From what you say, it looks like Garrettloader and Darkloader store the saves in the same way. I would expect NewDarkLoader to look for a subfolder called allsaves within the Thief Folder and import accordingly. Should I be displacing the zip files from the allsaves folder and moving them directly to the root Thief Folder ??

It looks like the only difference is the file-naming convention - for Garrettloader it's 'saves_archive_name.zip' and for DarkLoader it's 'archive_name_saves.zip' but they are both stored in an 'allsaves' folder under the main Thief folder.

Try renaming one then do an import again and see if the saves for that one are there. For instance, using your example, change 'saves_mightyjoeyoung.zip' to 'mightyjoeyoung_saves.zip' then if it works rename them all and import.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahenjo View Post
    It looks like the only difference is the file-naming convention - for Garrettloader it's 'saves_archive_name.zip' and for DarkLoader it's 'archive_name_saves.zip' but they are both stored in an 'allsaves' folder under the main Thief folder.

Try renaming one then do an import again and see if the saves for that one are there. For instance, using your example, change 'saves_mightyjoeyoung.zip' to 'mightyjoeyoung_saves.zip' then if it works rename them all and import.
    That worked !
    But it did something else that I can't seem to undo. Now my list of games includes the save files. So along with 161 authentic fan missions, I also have 161 "saves_fan mission_.zip" on my list. I'm not given any option to delete.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast