TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

Thread: New FM program: NewDarkLoader version 1.5.5

I don't mind looking at bugs. Does SS2 treat saves the same as Thief? I.e. .sav files in a 'saves' folder?

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    Does SS2 treat saves the same as Thief? I.e. .sav files in a 'saves' folder?
    No, each save gets its own folder starting with 'save_0' and going up to 'save_14'.
    In game there are 15 Save/Load slots (one less than Thief) with the last (save_14) labeled as Quicksave.
    Each folder contains two files - one named 'CAMPAIGN' (no extension, always 50k in size), and the other named 'earth.MIS' which varies in size and is considerably larger.

Goodbye To Garrettloader

NewDarkLoader has been working flawlessly so far, enough that I can delete Garrettloader from my system. I'm still running through a few Thief 2 missions as a test though.
    Haven't tried ThiefG yet.

I see the creator of Garrettloader, potterr, has still not shown up on TTLG for many years now (2009). At least not under that persona. Does anybody know what happened ?

Quote Originally Posted by Clock View Post
    I see the creator of Garrettloader, potterr, has still not shown up on TTLG for many years now (2009). At least not under that persona. Does anybody know what happened ?
    I've no idea, but I'd prefer that discussion to take place in a different thread. Garrettloader was a tremendous effort so I'd hate to interrupt a discussion about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahenjo View Post
    No, each save gets its own folder starting with 'save_0' and going up to 'save_14'.
    In game there are 15 Save/Load slots (one less than Thief) with the last (save_14) labeled as Quicksave.
    Each folder contains two files - one named 'CAMPAIGN' (no extension, always 50k in size), and the other named 'earth.MIS' which varies in size and is considerably larger.
    Do those all those save_# folders always exist or is each one only created when the slot is used?

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    Do those all those save_# folders always exist or is each one only created when the slot is used?
    None exist until you make the saves.

The first time i boot up Newdarkloader it takes about 40 seconds to show on screen, is this normal?
    Thanks

A couple of other people have reported long startup times. With one person I tested a variety of programs (all written for the .net framework) and they all had performance problems, even the programs that were very simple (no GUI). Nothing like a 40 second startup time, but the results made it clear that it wasn't NewDarkLoader itself that was the cause of the problem, but all programs written for the .net framework. I think the only thing users can do is make sure their version of the .net framework is installed correctly (select version 4.5 when running the program).

I've made the changes to support SS2 savegames. Try out the latest version:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/cuvqv1...oader1.4.4.zip

I've also allowed for SS2 saves when importing from Darkloader, on the assumption that the zip file contains save_# folders at the root. If that's not the case, do let me know.

Edit: File deleted. I've been told that there's also a 'current' folder. I'll add support for that within a few days.
    Last edited by R Soul; 6th Nov 2016 at 20:10.

Latest version:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/itmy4r...oader1.4.5.zip

SS2's "current" folder is now included in the savegame backup. Once again, for most people on NewDarkLoader.dll needs to be extracted.

Question (sorry if this was answered already). Is there a way of transferring the DarkLoader.ini file comments onto this? What I mean is, I have personal comments and ratings on hundreds of FM's I've played, and if possible I wouldn't want to lose them

Yes, there's an import feature. It's mentioned in the readme. When you say 'ratings', is that just something you put in the comments or is there a feature of Darkloader I didn't know about?

Thanks. It's just the last column, 'comment'

Bug

I discovered a bug. I was trying to play a mission called "Unholy Vivid Innocence" and it seems like some scripts or something isn't being loaded when launching the mission with NewDarkLoader because I can walk right up to the Guardians without taking any damage. When I tried the same mission with FMSel or installed it with DarkLoader it worked correctly.

I've had this same problem with Mission X and Amoral Dilemma which I've reported to R Soul. Just tried Unholy Vivid Innocence (v1.3) and can confirm by looking at the file Thief2.log that it is NVScript failing to load using NDL, and when starting it with FMSel it loads correctly.

@Gooberslot - if you overwrite NVScript.osm in the mission's installation folder (for me it's Thief2\FMs\UNPC-UVIv1.3) with the latest v1.25 available here, then it will load correctly with NDL.
    Last edited by Dahenjo; 10th Nov 2016 at 16:53.

You can also just delete the scripts in the fan mission folder and let NDL load the mission and it will be fine as well. I assume when it don't find the scripts there that it loads them from the main directory for the game. I have had to do this for multiple missions to get them to load. My scripts in the main directory are the latest versions. Mission examples are Assault at the gas station, tales from the cleft series, and Christine's shock2 missions.

Thanks for the update as well to 1.45

I recently read a comment about scripts being similar to .dll files, and NewDarkLoader comes with two additional files, which FMSel doesn't use, to handle mp3 conversion and archive compression/extraction. There could be some sort of conflict between them.

It doesn't seem to affect newer script files, but I don't think many players would want to start deleting files from archives. I (or we) could make a set of 'fix' files containing up-to-date versions of the scripts. Fixes are discussed in the readme, but I'll repeat it here. In your FM archive folder you need a folder called .fix, and inside there you have a folder named after the FM's archive name. Any archives in that folder will be extracted to the FM's installation folder, overwriting any existing files.

There's an easy way for users to do that. Download or create an archive containing the fixed files. Its location doesn't matter. Select the FM in NDL and press Ctrl F. Choose the archive and NDL will put it in the right place. The changes will take effect after the next time you install the FM.

That sounds good but would have to be done for a lot of missions.

The other issue is that if the newest scripts are in both thief directory and in the mission directory, the mission still wont run. I had to make sure the files were deleted in the mission directory itself before they would run. This is strange as I wouldn't think it would make a difference which of the 2 directories they were in. But apparently it does. I'm not a programmer so maybe you understand why this happens? Maybe its thief and not ndl that causes this?

Edit: Don't forget to change the version to 1.45 in the first post and topic heading. It stills says 1.43.

Maybe te solution would be half mission creators and NDL. every mission that need a specific script, it could come in the zip mission, and ndl could backup the script before loading the mission itself. And, to restore this, you may choose the main game (Thief, thief2, etc.) to get the original files you had after the mission loading.

just an idea.........

Well it's not the Naudio.dll because I removed that and the game still didn't work right. Removing SevenZipSharp.dll just causes the NDL to crash so I can't test that.

NAudio.dll is only referred to at the exact moment some mp3s need to be converted, so that's why you could get away with temporarily deleting it. SevenZipSharp.dll is used a lot, even if you use the external 7zip option (the dll's performance is fine when just browsing archive contents).

I've made a small change to the NewDarkLoader.dll, but I don't know enough about the problem to be sure if it'll make a difference.

The link is the same as before:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/itmy4r...oader1.4.5.zip

When mentioning specific FMs that are having problems, please bear in mind that with thiefmissions.com not working it can be very hard to download that FM. Please provide working download links, even if you have to upload the FM yourself.

edit: Found the last few FMs at http://www.taffersparadise.co.uk/, but my point stands: make sure there's a link.
    Last edited by R Soul; 26th Nov 2016 at 15:46.

I downloaded that new 1.4.5 version and it seems to be working. I didn't play much but I went into the first room with the Guardian and I started taking damage so it seems to be working.

That's interesting. We still have to be wary of inconsistency, for example I've had a few script problems too, but not recently. In most cases 1.4.5 seems to be working fine so I'll finally update the first post.

Just tried 1.4.5 with UVI and the couple other FMs giving me errors before and all the scripts are loading now.

Can you install 1.4.5 over 1.4.3 without problems?
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports
    Let's Supreme Ghost Thief - YouTube Channel with Thief Let's Plays

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast