TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: New FM program: NewDarkLoader version 1.5.5

Quote Originally Posted by klatremus View Post
    Can you install 1.4.5 over 1.4.3 without problems?
    Yes, just replace the NewDarkLoader.dll file, the others haven't changed.

A very minor update. I've added a check to make sure you haven't set the 'FM archives folder' to also be the 'installed FMs folder' (Thief2\FMs by default). I think the game will still work if the two folders are the same, but it might make things confusing for you. Some FMs contain their own zip files (containing a walkthrough, for example), and NewDarkLoader will find them and list them as if they were FMs (because it supports subfolders).

In other words, you shouldn't put your archives in Thief2\FMs. If you already don't do that, you don't need this update.

Just a miner issue to report. I'm using 1.45 as my archive has always been a different folder. I was playing seven sisters by Lady Rowena when I noticed the objective to cure innocents had not ticked off. I cured more than enough. The solution was to remove the tnhscript.osm file from the fm directory. This may not be a newdarkloader issue but wanted to report just in case.

I've been able to recreate the problem, and consistently. It might be related to the GUI, because it was fine when I hardcoded it to play that FM. The FM is also fine when I run NDL as an .exe, but that prevents the 'disable mod for FM' feature.
    Last edited by R Soul; 5th Dec 2016 at 17:10.

Screenshots

I've been using NewDarkLoader for a number of weeks now, and I LOVE it. Haven't been able to get Deadly Shadows to work, but it's not NewDarkLoader's fault. So Garrettloader has been officially deleted from my computer.

One thing....In order to retrieve a snapshot taken while ingame, I noticed you have to quit the game, uninstall it, then go to the folder containing the screenshots. Is this the only way to do it ?

It should be possible to go into Thief2\FMs\[fm name]\screenshots. What happens when you try that?

Back to the script load topic, I just removed all references to SevenZipSharp.dll, so it won't be loaded, but I still get a script load error. I'm not sure whether I'm pleased or annoyed about that. The changes broke a few functions, and I only did what was necessary to get the program to compile. Had the scripts loaded properly, I would have had to have fixed those functions and compelled users to install 7zip.

I then switched to using a completely different window, no table, no folder search or installation, just two buttons: one to play an FM (which I pre installed) and one to exit. When playing the FM, I still get the script load error.

Only when I completely disable the GUI can I get the scripts to load. More experimenting needed.
    Last edited by R Soul; 6th Dec 2016 at 18:11.

[QUOTE=R Soul;2339511]It should be possible to go into Thief2\FMs\[fm name]\screenshots. What happens when you try that?

My Thief 2 FM's are grouped together in one singular folder (there is no separate folder for each FM). So I can only go to Games / Thief 2 Missions / (zip files)

It's not a big deal. I was just wondering if there was a shorter way.

R Soul means to look under your Thief 2 game folder, not the archives folder where you put your FMs after downloading. Assuming your game folder is named 'Thief2' (yours may be different) go to that folder and under it is one called 'FMs' (such as Thief2\FMs). Under that FMs folder look for the folder for the FM you're playing, which is the FM archive name but without the '.zip' extension, then under that is a folder called 'screenshots' where the ones you took for that FM are stored. You don't have to quit the game, just pause it and Alt-Tab to the desktop, then open File Explorer and navigate to the screenshots folder to view them with the game still running.

I've spent a lot of looking in to this, and I've done everything I can, and few things I can't. The script problem isn't a fault in NewDarkLoader, but for most FMs you can use NDL's 'fix' feature to overwrite problematic FM files. All the fixes (e.g. a more recent version of tnhScript) should be in a zip file. Select the FM in NewDarkLoader and press Ctrl F. Select the zip file. The next time the FM is installed, the updated file(s) will also be installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahenjo View Post
    R Soul means to look under your Thief 2 game folder, not the archives folder where you put your FMs after downloading. Assuming your game folder is named 'Thief2' (yours may be different) go to that folder and under it is one called 'FMs' (such as Thief2\FMs). Under that FMs folder look for the folder for the FM you're playing, which is the FM archive name but without the '.zip' extension, then under that is a folder called 'screenshots' where the ones you took for that FM are stored. You don't have to quit the game, just pause it and Alt-Tab to the desktop, then open File Explorer and navigate to the screenshots folder to view them with the game still running.
    Ahh, I see. Sorry R Soul.

So because I re-purchased all my Thief games through Steam, I have a somewhat large folder ladder to climb down before I get to the appropriate game. No big deal since I can "shortcut" right to it once there. Voila! You are right. The screenshot folder exists, but only if I take a snapshot.

Thank you guys. I learned something new today, which always makes the -25 weather I'm enduring a little cozier.

NewDarkLoader & TDS

I cannot seem to get TDS to work with NewDarkLoader. The game is played via Steam. I've been using NewDark alongside Steam successfully with ThiefGold & Thief2.

I installed the patch for TDS (SneakyUpdate) then followed the directions for NewDarkLoader......

1. Extract NewDarkLoader.dll, SevenZipSharp.dll and NAudio.dll to your Thief2 folder (or Thief, or Shock2, or Thief3\System). English.ini is optional - see the end of section 2 for details.
    The file 7z.dll should already be in the destination folder, but is included just in case you don't already have it

2. Open up cam_mod.ini with any text editor.
    (For Thief 3, it's SneakyOptions.ini)

3. Remove the ; from the line that reads ;fm
    If you have already been using FMSel, this will not be necessary

4. On any other line, type in this, or copy and paste from here:
    fm_selector NewDarkLoader.dll (For Thief 3, change ExternalSelector=... from FMSel.dll to NewDarkLoader.dll)

The file SneakyOptions.ini was NOT found in the System Subfolder but a different subfolder (save/options). The file itself contained only one reference to
    ExternalSelector :

ExternSelector=fmsel.dll (Note the different spelling ~ExternSelector vs ExternalSelector)

I assumed that to be a typo and renamed the file ExternSelector=NewDarkLoader.dll

This is where I'm stuck. No matter what executable I try, either directly or through Steam, I can't get NewDarkLoader to kick in and take over.

Is Sneakyoptions.ini where it should be? Should it be moved, perhaps to the System subfolder? Is re-naming the line to read ExternSelector=NewDarkLoader.dll the issue? Have I missed a step somewhere?

I am experiencing the same issue as Clock, though I installed TDS via the Mastertronic CD and not Steam.

My SneakyOptions.ini is found in Documents/Thief - Deadly Shadows/options. I also have installed the Sneaky Upgrade v1.1.7.516.

By experimenting with the ExternSelector and AlwaysShow lines, I've had the following results:
    "ExternSelector=NewDarkLoader.dll" and "AlwaysShow=true": nothing happens when I run TDS.
    "ExternalSelector=NewDarkLoader.dll" and "AlwaysShow=true": FMSel loads.
    "AlwaysShow=false", regardless of the ExternSelector line: TDS starts normally, with no FM loader.

@R Soul

Did you think about publishing the source code in GitHub?

I had to use ProcessMonitor to find it on my own PC.

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows\Options
    Try looking there on your own PCs. This folder is for Windows 10, and it's probably used on 8, 7 and Vista too.

And loader filename is "ExternSelector"

If AlwaysShow is true, your regular T3SU shortcut will run the loader.
    If AlwaysShow is false the shortcut will take you staight to the game and the original missions (including whatever tweaks/mods you have installed). To play FMs you'll need another shortcut (or modify the existing one) with -fm at the end of the path name.

Try the folder above to see if you can find your SneakyOptions file. I'm sure I wouldn't have suggested your main T3 folder without good reason. Maybe there's an option to determine where the options file is stored.

I've occasionally thought about uploading the source, but when I look at it, it looks horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows\Options
    Try looking there on your own PCs. This folder is for Windows 10, and it's probably used on 8, 7 and Vista too.

And loader filename is "ExternSelector"

If AlwaysShow is true, your regular T3SU shortcut will run the loader.
    If AlwaysShow is false the shortcut will take you staight to the game and the original missions (including whatever tweaks/mods you have installed). To play FMs you'll need another shortcut (or modify the existing one) with -fm at the end of the path name.

Try the folder above to see if you can find your SneakyOptions file. I'm sure I wouldn't have suggested your main T3 folder without good reason. Maybe there's an option to determine where the options file is stored.

I've occasionally thought about uploading the source, but when I look at it, it looks horrible.
    I found where sneakyoptions.ini is on my computer and I know the game recognizes it where it is, because when I do the alterations as described, the game will not run, but if I leave it alone, the game will play but it won't run NewDarkLoader.

Original Lines (from sneakyoptions.ini) : Game works, but NewDarkLoader doesn't run.

[Loader]
    ;ExternSelector=NewDarkLoader.dll
    ExternSelector=fmsel.dll
    LanguagePriority=english,german,italian,french,russian,polish,spanish
    ;AlwaysShow=true
    AlwaysShow=false
    IgnoreSavesKey=true
    FanMission=
    InstallPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Thief Deadly Shadows

Altered Lines: Game doesn't work at all.

[Loader]
    ExternSelector=NewDarkLoader.dll
    ;ExternSelector=fmsel.dll
    LanguagePriority=english,german,italian,french,russian,polish,spanish
    AlwaysShow=true
    ;AlwaysShow=false
    IgnoreSavesKey=true
    FanMission=
    InstallPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Thief Deadly Shadows

Sneaky Upgrader
    In the next version of the Sneaky Upgrade (should be out this weekend) you'll be able to select which FM loader to use from the tweaker. Testing that, I've found that NewDarkLoader doesn't work for me either. I'll try to figure out why.

Top man Thanks snobel....what would we do without you.

As a coder myself, I'm all too familiar with that feeling.

However, I think the NDL source would be a useful thing for the community, whether "horrible" or not. I myself wouldn't mind having a look and learning from it, and I or others could add or improve things without making demands on your time. (Having used it regularly since release, there are a few things I'd like to see added, but I haven't wanted to pester you about non-critical features or things that aren't bugs).

Anyway, I know I would be appreciative of a source release, regardless of how it looks, and I think others here would too. But it's up to you of course. If you really don't want to, I'll respect that decision.

I actually did it a few hours ago, then started trying to simplify the multilanguage system.
    https://github.com/RSoul82/NewDarkLoader/
    Last edited by R Soul; 17th Mar 2017 at 20:18.

The NewDarkLoader did not work for me either.
    This is the crash report I found in the Event Log Viewer:
    Obviously the T3Main.exe was not detected as 'thief3' - and thus the code did not even try to load SneakyOptions.ini, but cam_mod.ini instead.
    That's what I read from the source code.

Code:
    Anwendung: T3Main.EXE
    Frameworkversion: v4.0.30319
    Beschreibung: Der Prozess wurde aufgrund einer unbehandelten Ausnahme beendet.
    Ausnahmeinformationen: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
       bei System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)
       bei System.IO.File.ReadAllLines(System.String, System.Text.Encoding)
       bei NewDarkLoader.Form1.getFMInsPathFromCam_Mod()
       bei NewDarkLoader.Form1.readINIFileToData()
       bei NewDarkLoader.Form1..ctor(System.String, Boolean, System.String)
       bei NewDarkLoader.Program+<>c__DisplayClass3_0.********FM>b__0()
       bei System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object)
    Even if it had detected Thief3 it would not work for me, since the code assumes the SneakyOptions.ini within
    Code:
    Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.CommonApplicationData) + "\\Documents\\Thief - Deadly Shadows\\Options\\SneakyOptions.ini"
    On my system this isn't true at all. It is actally in D:\Games\Thief3\Options.
    There is a registry key pointing to it.
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ion Storm\Thief - Deadly Shadows]
    "ION_ROOT"="D:\\Games\\Thief3"
    Works fine for me with FmSel.

Sneaky Upgrader
    For the record, you can find most T3-related stuff through the Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade start menu program group.

Quote Originally Posted by gnartsch View Post
    Obviously the T3Main.exe was not detected as 'thief3' - and thus the code did not even try to load SneakyOptions.ini, but cam_mod.ini instead.
    That's my observation too - it expects darkinst.cfg to be present as well. But with newer versions of the SU installed the exe file is named "Thief3.exe". Edit: Except for that one recent beta with the Steam option.

Another way for NDL to detect T3 is to look for "Thief 3" in the data.sGameVersion string passed to it.

Even if it had detected Thief3 it would not work for me, since the code assumes the SneakyOptions.ini within
    Code:
    Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.CommonApplicationData) + "\\Documents\\Thief - Deadly Shadows\\Options\\SneakyOptions.ini"
    On my system this isn't true at all. It is actally in D:\Games\Thief3\Options.
    There is a registry key pointing to it.
    Yes - the Options folder is inside the SaveGamePath. But if all you need is the FM install path, get it from the initial data.sRootPath value instead.

I'm not sure that's all, though - a small test program which just loads NDL works fine for me as long as those two files mentioned are present. But with the same code in Sneaky.dll there's an exception when calling SelectFM. So it looks like that issue is on my end. Will investigate, but will probably have to wait for the next release.
    Last edited by snobel; 18th Mar 2017 at 06:35.

The reason I didn't just use sGameVersion in the first place was that Thief 1 and 2 both identify as Thief 2 because they are the same exe just with a config variable for T1.

Rather than do a special check for sGameVersion containing "Thief 3" I modified my exe name check to see if the name contains a '3'

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    Yes - the Options folder is inside the SaveGamePath. But if all you need is the FM install path, get it from the initial data.sRootPath value instead.
    Thanks for the suggestion. That unmanaged stuff is a bit of a mystery to me, but I found a simple way to convert the IntPtr to a string, so NDL now uses that instead.

Download link for 1.4.7:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/kr4x39...oader1.4.7.zip

If this improves things I'll update the first post, but it's hard to be sure if Sneaky.dll is getting its own crash.

Thanks for the suggestion. That unmanaged stuff is a bit of a mystery to me, but I found a simple way to convert the IntPtr to a string, so NDL now uses that instead.

Download link for 1.4.7:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/kr4x39...oader1.4.7.zip

If this improves things I'll update the first post, but it's hard to be sure if Sneaky.dll is getting its own crash.
    This could be embarrassing, but I just looked at my install of NDL and the version I have been using was 1.4.3 !!!
    Now it doesn't look like the upgrades leading to 1.4.7 are critical, so I'm assuming my particular problem isn't due to an old install.
    Nevertheless, should I uninstall 1.4.3, or just re-install over the old version.

Just re-install. Strictly speaking there is no installation. I think 'installation' is when a program isn't just extracted somewhere, but it's registered with Windows as an installed program, and does things like creates registry entries, puts files in other folders (e.g. system32) etc. NewDarkLoader is just extracted into a folder, with a few minor changes to tell the game to use it.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast