TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW Thief Contest: Strange Ventures

NEW Thief Contest: Strange Ventures

Today I formally announce a new Thief FM contest: The Strange Ventures contest! The aim of this contest is to remake/use concepts from the original missions of Thief 2/Gold/Dark Project to create a surrealistic mission. Anyone wanting to participate can post here or message me or Brethren. The last date for submission of entries is November 11th, 2016.

Here are the contest rules:

1. You may use the original missions, but those are the only missions you can remake. If you want to remake an FM, you need the original author's permission.

2. The level(s) being remade or having their concepts taken from must be clearly listed in the readme.

3. The authors of each entry must remain anonymous until the results are announced.

4. Custom resources are allowed.

5. It's preferred that authors submit their entries before the last date, but an extension of up to 2 weeks may be granted if the author is confident of being able to finish it within that time.

Each entry will be judged based on several factors:

Contest theme: How surreal the missions are and whether they actually use any of the original mission's concepts.

Uniqueness: How unique the mission is in terms of mechanics, gameplay, feel etc.

Aesthetics: How good the mission looks.

Gameplay: How well does it play overall.

Players will score these factors based on their experience.
    Last edited by Dev_Anj; 10th Aug 2016 at 01:15.

Sounds like fun. I'll include a link here to a file called fullclean.zip. It's been used in some of the Reloaded contests. What it does is make it easy to clean out old data from the OMs, like AI, objectives, fnords, keys, books, etc. Check the readme for details.

You can also get all the T2 unstripped missions here.

Good lookin, Brethren!

Also, cool idea for a contest, Dev! Hopefully this gains some traction. Though, perhaps this should be posted in the Editor's guild?

I thought new contests were announced in the FM forum usually. I've already got two contestants who've PMed me, and two more people had expressed interest in the contest idea thread so we might get a decent ish participation after all.

Slightly less tormented Moderator
    No harm in posting it in EdGuild as well. I'll copy it over.

I'm in! And with this generous build time until October, I might even be able to implement all the cool stuff I have in mind :P

Haven't heard much about this - is anyone working on an entry for this contest? I was hoping we would have heard more about progress and participation with only about a month left to go.

i think the idea theme is a good one ,i hope to see cool missions

reminds me first time i played lost in the far edges,the concept was very cool

I've gotten several messages informing me that they're participating, so I can assure you that the contest is going fine.

Hmmm. I'm interested to see some of the FMs that come out of this contest. It's definitely a good idea, dev.
    I really want to see how crazy and imaginative the participants can get. Bring it on

Quote Originally Posted by WowWhatAUsername View Post
    Hmmm. I'm interested to see some of the FMs that come out of this contest. It's definitely a good idea, dev.
    I really want to see how crazy and imaginative the participants can get. Bring it on
    I second that.... and third, even fourth... lol...

Don't forget fifth

well i will pre say i "eight it" and it was good

20 days left...

Quick reminder, there's 3 days to go before you submit your missions. If you want any extra time, do try submitting PMs to me or Brethren.

What happened?

someone needed extra time?

Quote Originally Posted by H3H3 View Post
    What happened?

someone needed extra time?
    I too was looking forward to the contest releases....are there any?

Dev_Anj, are there any missions besides the one by "Chopsticks"? I know JarlFrank wasn't going to finish but I thought there were at least 1 or 2 others.

Unfortunately not. Three other contestants made it known that they wouldn't be able to finish their missions in time, directly and indirectly. I am willing to extend the deadline upto the end of this month if I hear from anyone interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev_Anj View Post
    Unfortunately not. Three other contestants made it known that they wouldn't be able to finish their missions in time, directly and indirectly. I am willing to extend the deadline upto the end of this month if I hear from anyone interested.
    Not much of a contest with one entry, as Paul Watson said, 'You'd love the elections in North Korea; your candidate always wins!'

Thanks for pointing out the obvious - and rubbing it in no less.

Well, &*^%. That's such a shame

I would've loved to see the other entries. What's gonna happen to the contest now?
    Last edited by Tannar; 23rd Nov 2016 at 17:26. Reason: No profanity in Thief fora

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Thanks for pointing out the obvious - and rubbing it in no less.
    Speaking of obvious, though no rubbing in was intended, is that it must be extended for the 3 others as well as "chopsticks". I venture to say we are Fan-Mission Fans before we are Fan-Mission Contest Fans.

This is a strange contest indeed ; )