TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Played Thief for years before discovering...

For ages I thought Sammy, who betrayed Garrett before Ambush, was the one who paid him to frame Hagen in the previous mission, and that that was the pretext for their meeting in the pub. So it was years before I discovered that the two things were completely unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by gamophyte View Post
    I thought they were the rocks similar to the eye on the pedestals.
    Ah, yes, you're right. :P

Just found out that you can make a wine cellar key in RttC.
    I never tried all molds, I knew you can make a doorknob... Hmm, if you throw a doorknob into a lunar pool, does it become a holy doorknob?

Quote Originally Posted by marbleman View Post
    Hmm, if you throw a doorknob into a lunar pool, does it become a holy doorknob?
    Only if you believe in Anoia or something.

Remembered another one. For some reason I had it in my mind that what I now know to be the ape-men in T1 Escape and other missions, were called 'shadow stalkers' or somesuch. No idea now where I got this from, but the point here is that I thought they were a different kind of enemy than the hairy monkey men of T2. I just thought the devs had re-skinned the 'shadow stalkers' to create the monkey men.

Back in '99 (cue old man talking voice) I played TDP all the way through before realizing on the 2nd reload of Thief Gold that burricks can be blackjacked.

This knowledge helped me accomplish two things: One, I was able to complete Bonehoard in less than three weeks, being that I was borrowing a friend's computer at the time. Second, it helped to alleviate guilt, as I associate burricks with dogs, and now I could tell myself that they're just having a nice little nap and will wake up later.

Only recently discovered that inside the tree in The Maw, that "star path" can be used to get up to the top. Just jump into it then walk up it.

Been playing for years and still don't know how to open that metal grille door in the Watchman's Grave area of THC. Can't seem to find a switch or lever and it would be so much simpler to get out that way than exiting via the roof beams.

Again with THC, apparently there is some loot near the fallen building where you start, but I have clicked all over the areas around it without finding it.

Been playing for years and still don't know how to open that metal grille door in the Watchman's Grave area of THC. Can't seem to find a switch or lever and it would be so much simpler to get out that way than exiting via the roof beams.
    I'm curious too. It seems like it should be openable, but I haven't found a way.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigam View Post
    You can't open it

Again with THC, apparently there is some loot near the fallen building where you start, but I have clicked all over the areas around it without finding it.
    Walk around the fallen building and look on the ground under the solid.

Ah thanks. Pity about the door - possibly the only door in TG that seems like it ought to be openable but isn't. But finally found the THC loot.

Another recently discovered thing. In Undercover you can flip the switches in any order. Given the way the document telling you about them was written, I had always assumed that you needed to follow the given order and always done it this way.

And still do not know where that reward in RttC is. Bury a brother and he tells you about a switch at a corner of a mural in the Winter Tunnels. I Have never found it

About the reward in RttC in the Winter tunnels. Once down there,
    enter the room and stay facing the mural. On the far right upper side there´s a small tile or something that you can frob. Once you do it, a door will open on the wall to your left.

Ah thanks. So 14 years after first playing RttC, I finally step inside that hidden room

I had tried googling the answer obviously, but couldn't find detailed enough instructions. That extra mine and Holy water will come in useful.

Water arrows can wash away blood stains. Holy crap.

Actually I remember the blood thing from the manual, but I guess modern releases do not include it. Or people no longer read them. I know I don't.

I still do not know, in Bonehoard, how to get that gemstone without triggering the traps. The one you have to go past the fireshadow and and shoot five firearrows to get to. I am sure I am jumping correctly over the light patch before the steps, but nonetheless the trap triggers. Then the seond lot trigger even if I put the skull in before taking the gem.

I use 2 rope arrows there on the beams to get to the stairs railing. Then walk up to it. No traps trigger until I pick up the gem.

Actually I remember the blood thing from the manual, but I guess modern releases do not include it. Or people no longer read them. I know I don't.
    I arrived too late to have a manual on my hands (a shame). Precisely because I recently gave a PDF version a try I found out. So many interesting things there, it was like rediscovering fire.

I'm still am not sure how elemental crystals work with the bow. Does he just shoot them like arrows? They seem a bit short for that, and wouldn't the lack of feathers make them not fly like arrows? The other option is that he attaches them to a broadhead but then there are reasons why that does not make sense.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I think it's assumed Garrett uses the crystals to create appropriate arrows. If you look in the TDP manual, all the elemental arrow look like normal broadheads (complete with feathers) but with an extra something on the tip. You can argue about physics and aerodynamics and stuff like that, but I think this is a situation where you just have to accept that they work in the Thief world.

I soothed myself by thinking that the magic crystals turn the arrow shaft into their respective element upon impact, and avoided thinking any further.

Those magic crystals might have other properties, like turning a parchment scroll into magical scroll (water crystal for ice spell, fire crystal for fireball etc...). But if you accidentally dropped a crystal into your food bowl, you can say your meal "bye-bye".

PS: I still have no idea how they are supposed to work, all this magical stuff is always so tricky, damn.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    It's working with magic scripts
    Code:
    Crystal
    gen.osm 1/G/2 When the object is contained by the player, this script creates an arrow (or multiple arrows, depending on Engine Features\Stack Count) in its place and destroys the object. The transmogrification is hard-coded. EarthCrystal:EarthArrow, WaterCrystal:water, FireCrystal:firearr, AirCrystal:GasArrow.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Now that's really just ruining all the fun.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Why do I feel like Unna just pulled back the curtain in Oz?

Yes probably best to avoid thinking too much about the arrows. The reasons water arrows just quietly douse the flame without the broadhead bit clattering is because Garret keeps a stash of headless arrowshafts at all times.

For years I've played Thief Gold and I still find no purpose for the lockpicks in The Lost City.

I still do not know, in Bonehoard, how to get that gemstone without triggering the traps. The one you have to go past the fireshadow and and shoot five firearrows to get to. I am sure I am jumping correctly over the light patch before the steps, but nonetheless the trap triggers. Then the seond lot trigger even if I put the skull in before taking the gem.
    Place 2 skulls on top of the pedestal (the yellow area) where the gem is before picking it up and the pressure trap won't trigger.
    Last edited by DarkMax; 9th Mar 2017 at 15:52.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast