TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW TDM FM: Down by the Riverside by Dragofer (25 Sep 2016)

NEW TDM FM: Down by the Riverside by Dragofer (25 Sep 2016)

The fisheries have had a bad year. Unemployed roam the streets and crowd the pubs. The merchants sleep with one eye open and keep a tight grip on their property amid the unrest. A thief, even a skilled thief like myself, has a hard time finding good, worthwhile work.

I began looking for more... unusual tasks. I set my eyes on Thornton Hall, remote and cut off from the outside world. These outlying manors are difficult to find, let alone reach, but they're bound to hold precious trinkets and family heirlooms untouched by anyone. Not few are said to be haunted by one dreadful apparition or another. But it's common for the lords themselves to spread these rumours, to keep unwanted visitors away.

This mission is in two parts. Once you’re done with the first, on to the next.

Download
    Dropbox
    In-game downloader

Click continue at the bottom of the login screen if you use the Dropbox link but don’t have a login, then place the mission archive in the fms folder of your Dark Mod installation.

Updated v3 - 14th December 2016

Note
    In response to a question about the relation of this mission to One Step Too Far:
    This mission started its life as a standalone mission for a Halloween contest, so it takes place in a different setting and begins with its own story. There is, however, a strong link that’ll become apparent during the mission. From a mapping perspective it contains areas and ideas that I had originally intended for Of Brambles and Thorns, which is the bonafide sequel, but realised that they wouldn't have space there anymore. So this could be described as being neither sequel nor prequel, but certainly a part of the series that began with One Step Too Far.

Credits
    - Inspiration, Story: The Terrible Old Man by H.P. Lovecraft, a short story which leaves much to the imagination.
    - Inspiration, Setting: Right Up There in the Mountains by Troutpack, a fan mission for Thief 2 which left its mark.
    - Betatesters Round 1: Abusimplea, ankai, Ryan101, Oldjim, bikerdude
    - Betatesters Round 2: nbohr1more, bikerdude, crowbars82, jaxa, dunedain19
    - Custom voice work: AndrosTheOxen, bikerdude, Goldwell
    - Custom models: Atheran, epifire, Dragofer
    - Custom paintings: Airship Ballet
    - Custom AI path setup: Sotha
    - Custom ambient tracks: gigagooga, spady, bottle_rocket_fx, dobroide, Dragofer, augustsandberg, bosk1, 01sound
    - Custom sound effects: kyyrma, cgeffex, speedenza, joelaudio, robinhood76, klankbeeld, benjaminharveydesign, vate
    - Bikerdude for not allowing me to stray from the highest standards and perfing troublesome spots
    - John Atkinson Grimshaw, Ivan Aivazovsyk and William Bradford for paintings used in the briefings and loading screens

Last edited by Dragofer; 15th Dec 2016 at 08:24. Reason: Updated version 3

Very interesting fm, original, I've loved the atmosphere, a little complicated sometimes (Find the hidden key in the church), I've enjoyed it! Thank you Dragofer!

Loving it so far, but I'm stuck. I went through the trapdoor in the farmhouse basement, now I'm outside, but there's nothing in the area and nowhere to go

Azaran, on the East side of the house, behind barriers, watch the ground carefully.

Thanks! After that, how do I get onto the next part? I have to escape, but I scoured the whole place and can't find a way out

You've found the inheritance, have you read it? After that, another "flask" will appear for teleportation

Gah! Silly me. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Athalle View Post
    Very interesting fm, original, I've loved the atmosphere, a little complicated sometimes (Find the hidden key in the church), I've enjoyed it! Thank you Dragofer!
    Thanks, I'm glad you liked it

dont know why but am gettin a crash everytime i search the hey bails

Wow, that was a really cool mission. Definitely a lot more content than I expected. Great atmospheres and environments too. Good job, Dragofer, and thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by trioptimumscapes View Post
    Same here. The third one I search (no matter which one it is), oddly.

Pretty fun mission. Thanks. I almost thought I would be able to board that ship for a second

where is the key to the top floor door?

Quote Originally Posted by rustmite View Post
    Pretty fun mission. Thanks. I almost thought I would be able to board that ship for a second
    The mission is packaged as a two-part campaign, so your thought is right. If I remember right TDM makes an auto-save inbetween missions.

Quote Originally Posted by trioptimumscapes View Post
    That's strange, it looks like I should change this to a different script setup. What you're missing out on is the key to the hatch in the food storage, which opens onto a tunnel that leads outside. There's the option of noclip to get around this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    where is the key to the top floor door?
    There is no key. You need to take the saw next to that door and use it on the basement hatch outside the house.

Thank you, i got stuck again, i found the hidden key near the horse found my way through the cellar to the outside area where i see a large building with barred windows, i do i get inside?

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    Thank you, i got stuck again, i found the hidden key near the horse found my way through the cellar to the outside area where i see a large building with barred windows, i do i get inside?
    You just came from there, this is the farmbuilding/stable/yard. You have to dig/frob up the inheritence now.

Where to find:
    spoiler:
    as stated in his plan, it is buried next to the wall, near a window.

My thoughts on this very good mini campaign with a unique last mission and a fantastic start.
    spoiler:

It starts with a seldom seen scenario, following some bandits into an abandoned house who search it for riches. The atmosphere in the basement is a true masterpiece, it has been a while since I went forward so reluctantly and carefully, the green prints where also beautifully fitting.
    Only thing I did not get was why the bandits went all "A Smuggler's Request" instead of "Stones and Glass Houses" on the door in the attic. While the conversation between the two bandits was a great way to set the mood, I would have liked it better if the non-lockpicking guy had enough and went down the stairs towards the player to get the guy with the huge axe on ground floor to just brake down the door.
    Yet again, the dense atmosphere in the basement and the first tunnel was fantastic!

The farm and church were solid, but did not quite live up to the great start. Though I liked how the priest was just a normal guy for a change.
    The ship and it's setting had a unique atmosphere and was fun close quarter thiefing!

Small bugs:
    - the guard at the start sat down and never wandered around on his own. Maybe it is on purpose.
    - in "mission2": the "music" was really annoying, or maybe I had a sound problem. Also frobbing/trying to pick the first trapdoor was very silent compared to the rest.
    - in "mission3" the guard outside can be knocked out, but is unmovable or the game crashes. His poster can be picked. The unique item goal is apparently optional?

I'm enjoying this, but I'm stuck in the church area. I've dug some loot out of the ground outside, found the dead rat and ring in the rafters, got the storage room key from the candle, and opened a couple of chests in there that seem to contain only junk. I can't see any phials around, and I don't know how to proceed. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Marbrien View Post
    I'm enjoying this, but I'm stuck in the church area. I've dug some loot out of the ground outside, found the dead rat and ring in the rafters, got the storage room key from the candle, and opened a couple of chests in there that seem to contain only junk. I can't see any phials around, and I don't know how to proceed. Thanks!
    In the storage room:
    spoiler:
    look at the floor - some of it should slightly glow and be frobbable. There is stuff to take and after that, another phial should appear in the now-open-slot.

Kind of embarrassing but I am stuck at the basement after reading the mysterious note and following the footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by thief-outside-a-box View Post
    In the storage room:
    spoiler:
    look at the floor - some of it should slightly glow and be frobbable. There is stuff to take and after that, another phial should appear in the now-open-slot.
    Thanks. I had somehow missed that floorboard.

Quote Originally Posted by MayheM View Post
    Kind of embarrassing but I am stuck at the basement after reading the mysterious note and following the footprint.
    They take a little while to appear, but eventually they will lead you to the top of the house (you have to bypass the blocked cellar door and re-enter the house from outside, then follow the footprints upstairs).

Just finished and all i got to say is that I loved this. Replayed your first mission first and I was so curious about this one after. I'm very looking forward to your future projects! Might replay it on Halloween

Quote Originally Posted by Marbrien View Post
    They take a little while to appear, but eventually they will lead you to the top of the house (you have to bypass the blocked cellar door and re-enter the house from outside, then follow the footprints upstairs).
    thanks!

I'm stuck in the second mission. Where do I find the proof, Johan was looking for?

inside the chapel, where is the key to the closed door on the right side?