TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutter (AKA peripherals)

Clutter (AKA peripherals)

What sort of peripherals, beyond the expected (e.g. mouse, gamepad), do you have for your PC? What sort of exotic accoutrements that others here may never even have heard of have you accumulated in your gaming career, and for what games?

Me, I've had a TrackIR v5 for a couple of years, which I bought for Arma. I don't always play with it, and when I do I tend to deactivate it when outside vehicles, but I very much enjoy being able to look around with it when piloting helicopters. It's also proven a real boon in IL-2 Sturmovik, although I've not played all that much of that game.

During the time that I got into IL-2, though, I also ended up getting Saitek Flight Pro rudders. When I stopped playing sims (too many other games that I enjoyed more and was better at), they were pretty much forgotten... until a week or two ago, when I started using them for Elite Dangerous, where I especially enjoy them when zooming around on planet surfaces in my SRV.

Also for Elite Dangerous and IL-2 I got a Thrustmaster HOTAS.X, which is very good value for money. Considering how little it costs, it should be shit, but I'm really enjoying how much more *tactile* it makes these games. For a long time I used to absolutely *suck* when using PC joysticks (I grew up with decidedly analog, one-button C-64 sticks), but with the HOTAS.X I seem to have overcome this. I'm still not great, but I embarrass myself much less frequently.

There's also the Oculus Rift, which I've said a lot about in other threads, but that's it with respect to peripherals I actually use. I did have a second-hand steering wheel that I barely ever used, and when I eventually did want to use it to get into... oh, probably some Dirt game, it turned out to be broken...

verbose douchebag
    For Elite: Dangerous, I managed to accrue two HOTAS systems (1, 2).

I also bought a custom head-tracking device. I need to get back in to E at some point as I haven't even properly set up and used the X52 pro yet.

(And yes, the T-Flight HOTAS is great value for money)

I've got the T-Flight HOTAS and it's horrible if you're like me and really love the super realistic helicopters of DCS but don't want to shell out for something expensive. The thruster stick has a nook in the centre and it's difficult to push past it gently during landing and take-off. As you're coming in to land, the sweet spot is often just below the centre, so I end up slamming myself into the ground.

I love the rocker for rudder input though, but I haven't found anything else that has them and looks half-decent. Don't want to buy rudder pedals or twist the stick. So irritating. Feel my pain. :P

Back in the days when I still fancied that I would get value from having the One True HOTAS for flight sims (the best of the best! the only one I would ever need!) I bought into the hype and shelled out substantial money for a brand new Thrustmaster Cougar. Easily the worst game-related purchase I ever made. It truly did have a raft of superb features, but actually using it was awful. Too big, too heavy, a shockingly bad spring design (which lots of people paid through the nose to get custom-made solutions for), and the metal surfaces (which sounded nice at the time) were usually so cold that I needed to wear gloves. I should have sold it, but I think I either had delusions of getting it modded, or just couldn't bring myself to admit that I'd actually wasted my money. At any rate, that enormous box still wastes space in my house to this day (along with my nice rudder pedals -- which connect to an RS232 serial port... sigh.)

I also bought a Track IR 2, which was so rapidly superseded by a vastly superior model 3 that it was hard not to be cynical about it. I never did upgrade.

Somewhere I have a headset which came with some software for controlling games with user-defined voice commands. I still reckon that would have been neat for certain types of game, but I never really used it. I think talking out loud to a computer game turned out to be a thing I didn't want to do in practice.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 3rd Oct 2016 at 05:29.

For years in the 90s my main flightstick was a MS Sidewinder 3D pro. Played a lot of Hellbender, Mechwarrior 2, Descent, and Tie Fighter with that thing. I dont' know what happened to it but it's been gone for years. It was great but the throw on the stick wasn't very big. I now have a much nicer stick with a less than ideal button layout with some generic budget Saitek stick from BestBuy.
    I DO still have a 4 button gravis pad from back in the day, but no way of hooking it up to my PC. For gamepad use I have an Xbone controller, mostly for Ys.

I've been messing around with my cellphone to make a cheap VR headset. It's an LG G3, so its 1440p on a 5 inch screen. I've already got streaming over wifi working flawlessly, and a VR headset that can hold my phone from Monoprice. Headtracking is next, which shouldn't be a problem with the gyroscope and accelerometer in the phone.

Other than that, I would consider my studio monitors as a peripheral. Good sound is important. And they are nice and clear, and give me a pretty superior experience.

... and the video below has seriously made me think about getting a Tobii 4C. I like my TrackIR, but this seems to take it to the next level - and my wife wouldn't laugh herself silly at me wearing the TrackIR sensor any more.

Chakat sex pillow
    I pronounced HOTAS as 'hot ass' once, only to be politely corrected that it was, in fact, 'HO-tahss' -- like that was somehow better.

Yup. That's about all the input I have here. Carry on.

Moderator and Priest
    It's pronouced "az-wee-pay"

Every thread is turning into Goldmoon Dawn's gay panic thread, isn't it?

Moderator and Priest
    It wouldn't be a Wednesday if it didn't!

Last Friday I not only got my Touch controllers but also a Tobii 4C - a combination eye/headtracking device. It only works with a fairly small number of games, e.g. Elite Dangerous, Arma, Euro Truck Simulator and a couple of Ubisoft games, but it's pretty cool and may well replace the TrackIR for me, even if the functionality's not all there yet. In Arma 2, at least, I found myself flying helicopters much more easily; the combination of headtracking for large movements and eyetracking for finetuning works very well, once you've tweaked the settings for yourself. (Arma 3 is still giving me some headaches, mind you.) The 4C is far from essential, but it is a nifty gadget, and I'm curious to using it more.

Also, the Tobii guys are extremely friendly, helpful and enthusiastic. Hooray for nice Swedes!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Dude's got a TrackIR and a Tobii and an Oculus Rift. Come on, Thirith, you need to invite us all over to your house to play with your toys.

The advantage of not having kids... Any money put aside for toys can be spent on me.

I don't think anyone other than grandparents ever say "you need to invite us over to your house to play with your kids". (Or if they do, "yes" is most likely the wrong answer.)

Thing What Kicks
    My clutter ain't a patch on Thirith's, but I've got a Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS, a TrackIR 5 and 3 pads I alternate between, a wired 360 one, a PS4 one and the Steam controller. I've also got the Steam Link. Then there's my various figurines and tchotchkes I've got with collector's editions in the past. Not too many, as I stopped buying CEs a while back, but the ones I have are quite cool (apart from the god-awful Bioshock Big Daddy that looks like it was painted by a 2-year-old.)

It can't be as bad as the infamous Witcher 2 Geralt bust, can it?

Thing What Kicks
    Nah, it's still recognisably a Big Daddy, but just really badly painted. I'll grab a piccy of it when I'm home.

A nice pair of Audio Technica closed-back cans and a headphone amp. A Datacolor monitor calibrator.

I also have some old stuff in the closet that I haven't used in a while: wheel, force feedback stick, pads. And I still hang to an old Aureal A3D card with the hope that maybe someday I'll set up a vintage Win 98/Me system again to enjoy those old late 90s games with positional audio.

Not really peripherals, but I have a full C64 system including original monitor, disk drive, joysticks. We still play this. I also have an old Coleco Gemini that my mother and law dug out of her attic for me, but we haven't bothered to make it work.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Dude's got a TrackIR and a Tobii and an Oculus Rift. Come on, Thirith, you need to invite us all over to your house to play with your toys.
    Just walk in, he won't even know you're there.

Thing What Kicks
    Here's that Big Daddy

Conversely, my favourite's probably the Dead Rising 2 zombie (with accompanying hats and Overlord minion.)

Ezio & Sackboy

Sam from Vanquish

I've got more collector's edition goodies, but most of them are still in boxes and stored in cupboards from when I moved in to my new place.
    Last edited by Malf; 15th Dec 2016 at 05:48.

For some reason those pics aren't displayed for me, Malf, even when I copy the URLs and paste them into a new tab. Not sure if that's just on my side - can everyone else see the pictures?

Nope.

Chakat sex pillow
    Ni.

Thing What Kicks
    Grrr, sodding Google Drive. Lemme see if I can fix it.

Edit: How 'bout now?

Edit2: Buggrit, reverting to links.
    Last edited by Malf; 15th Dec 2016 at 05:46.

Thanks, those work. That Ezio figure looks a bit like an Auton posing as an assassin, mind you. (There must be Doctor Who/Assassin's Creed crossover fanfic on the internet somewhere... )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast