TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clutter (AKA peripherals)

I have two crates full of Japanese music game peripherals for consoles. (Console peripherals might not be included in this thread or else I think I would have heard more Rock Band peripherals listed.)

Two Beatmania IIDX home controllers
    One Beatmania 5-key controller (called "DJ Station Pro")
    One Guitar Freaks controller
    Two Keyboardmania controllers
    Two ParaPara Paradise controllers

And also a full-size Pop'n Music controller and a somewhat nice Beatmania controller which take up boxes of their own.
    I used to have two homebuilt DDR pads but I got rid of them when I changed apartments a few years ago.

My time of playing Japanese music games is long past, but I want to hold on to these just in case I want to give them a spin in the future. They take up a lot of closet space but I don't want to forever lose the chance to play these.

Level 10,000 achieved

rez

Today was gonna be the day that I TOOK ON GANON! But y'know what? Ganon is gonna have to wait.

I just picked up this bad boy.

Ever since I returned the borrowed Driving Force GT to my cousin a few weeks back, I've been on the lookout for a cheap substitute wheel. This one, the HORI Racing Wheel Apex (for PC/PS3/PS4), has been popping up in a lot of stores around here recently, and I got this one for 80€. It's getting pretty good reviews online, for a budget wheel. No force feedback, but that's fine by me. The DF GT was a good wheel, but also a real hassle every time I hooked it up. I usually had to fiddle with the configuration and do a restart to get full 900 degree turning working. So for this one, all I want is something that works well enough for Truck Simulators and isn't a pain in the ass every time I plug it in.

Let's unpack this thing, set it up, and find out if I've made a horrible mistake or not!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Welp, it's fine. Only has 270 degree turning though. Took a bit of tweaking with American Truck Simulator's steering deadzones and sensitivity and non-linearity-values, but I got it to a point where it felt pretty good.

I keep thinking of getting a wheel, and at one point I actually got a second-hand Logitech one, but in the end I don't play nearly enough driving games. Every now and then I briefly get obsessed with one of them (last time that was DIRT Rally), but I never stick with them - and for that it's simply too big and bulky a peripheral.

Wired X360 Gamepad and a Logitech G25. I probably have some other things in the closet or shoved in one of my drawers of old PC parts but those 2 are the only things regularly hooked up.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I don't think I ever actually listed my clutter earlier in the thread, so:

Wired XBox 360 gamepad - These things really were built to last, I tell ya. I've used this for probably 10 years now and it still works fine, bar some slightly loose thumbsticks.
    Wireless XBox One gamepad - Got it with the Oculus Rift, hasn't really been used. What's the need for a wireless gamepad when you're right next to the computer anyway? Just more batteries to change.
    Steam Controller and Steam Link - Don't do much except gather dust.
    Oculus Rift + Touch
    HORI Racing Wheel Apex
    Wired gaming headphones
    Wireless podcast-listening-while-cooking-dinner headphones

On the PC end - Fallout 3 collectors edition which includes the lunch box, makings of DVD and the bobblehead. Love it.

Logitech surround sound system.

Console:

PS3 - Rockband accessories (guitar, drums and microphone).

PS2 - Time Crisis 2 gun.

SNES - Super Gameboy, NTSC cartridge adapter.

Thing What Kicks
    I finally brought home my plush headcrab from work after many years of it occupying my shelf, and complimented that with a PlayArts Kai D-Dog.
    I've not got photos of the actual ones, but this is what they look like:

And as for actual peripherals, I have:
    360 Wired Pad
    Red Dualshock 4 (in addition to the black one that came with my PS4)
    Switch Pro Controller (yes, it can be used with my PC)
    Xbox One Elite Controller (the one that gets the most use at the mo)
    Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS Joystick (gets very little, if any use since I stopped playing Elite Dangerous)
    TrackIR 5 (same as the 52, no use outside of Elite)

And for every-day use, a new Razer Deathadder Chroma (my 2013 Deathadder Black Edition's mousewheel died a couple of months ago), and my trusty old Microsoft Sidewinder X6 keyboard.

By the way, I picked up a massively handy and stylish mouse mat tip while doing some support work for a movie editor.
    Craft mats make fantastic optical mouse mats. They're cheap, durable and come in a variety of sizes.

Have you ever tried TrackIR with Arma, Malf? Especially in vehicles, I really like it, and when flying helicopters it's practically a gamechanger.

Thing What Kicks
    I think I did, but it wasn't working. Mind you, having to wear a baseball cap with the IR tracking points on it, while a minor impediment, is enough to prevent me from firing it up regularly. I should try it again with ARMA 3; I think I've said before, but for Elite Dangerous, I far preferred TrackIR to Rift. I get the head tracking but with my monitor's higher resolution.

I only have three fairly boring peripherals.

A Logitech G110 keyboard. Black, with red/blue backlight and full-sized enter key.
    It has all these fancy programmable G-keys, but I practically never use them. There were some brief times when I had set up a macro or two when playing certain games (a "pick random disguise" macro for TF2, ones to say "gl hf" and "gg wp" in SC2), but those times were few and years in the past. I can't really think of anything where I'd need them now.
    I do love the volume "scrollbar" on this keyboard, though, and the built-in soundcard is rather handy for my headphones, below.

A Steelseries Sensei mouse. A fairly plain black thing (once I turned off the lighting), with eight buttons, one of which changes the DPI. I got this because my previous mouse was wireless and the thing was really heavy, which made it hard to make precise movements with it. This one is corded, but the cord is this really nice, sturdy wrapped affair that should be really hard to break (I used to have a problem with breaking mouse cables.)
    I do actually use the programming on this one, though not in a game-specific context. Instead, I have the two spare buttons bound to "repeatedly left-click" and "repeatedly-right-click", something which I originally put there for repairing items in Elder Scrolls games, but which I've found useful fairly often in a variety of games.

A pair of Bose QC-25 noise-cancelling headphones. These are very pricey, but they have very good audio quality and can block out any and all fan noise, including from a graphics card under heavy load.
    They do suffer from a slight hiss when idle, but it's still less than the background noise would otherwise be.
    It's strange if I take them off when gaming and suddenly hear how loud the fans have been while pumping those pixels.
    They also have a quite-decent microphone with noise-cancelling in the cable, though I never use that. Since they have one of those fancy three-part jacks for use with phones, I use a splitter to convert the single cable into separate headphones/microphone jacks and plug those into the aforementioned sound card on my keyboard.
    While they do of course need batteries, I love that they just yse a single, removable AAA battery, so I can always keep spares to swap out. The more recent models of these headphones are wireless, but come with built-in batteries which can't be swapped, which sounds like a truly awful idea to me.

After going through a ton of Logitech and Razer mice, I picked up a Steelseries and the thing is amazing. I've had it for 5 years or something and the thing is still flawless despite the rubber grips on the sides being worn down to the plastic.

Thing What Kicks
    To be honest, if Microsoft made a decent wired gaming mouse again, I'd buy it in a flash. But unfortunately, their high-end stuff is all wireless and gimmicky these days.
    I used a Laser Mouse 6000 for yonks, and would still be using it today if the cable hadn't frayed and broke.
    This puppy:

Oh, and I forgot my headphones. My 5.1 set-up has been in storage for ages now, and I solely use my Sennheiser PC363D headset these days. Over the years I've bought spare ear and head cushions for it so I can put the others in the wash when they get manky over the summer, but the sound quality has remained superb. I've always liked Sennheiser headphones, and these are the best I've ever owned.
    Now if they made an even more modular set, where the pads were easier to swap out and cables easier to replace, I think I'd have a headset for life.
    Last edited by Malf; 13th Dec 2017 at 05:19.

I try to keep my clutter to the minimum. I finally found high quality build wireless keyboard (Dell KM713), and also switched to a trackball (Logitech M570). In the sound department, don't even get me started on Bose "quality". If you want high-quality and natural sound, switch to something like Audio Technica M40x or Beyerdynamic DT990Pro. Bose experience comes from military headsets and home cinema speakers, their definition of quality is questionable (and cash they expect for it is insane).

Also in terms of computer audio, I switched to external USB sound card (Focusrite), and wanted to upgrade my speakers too. Didn't need professional studio monitors, so I bought M-Audio AV42, and a decent RCA cable. I'm happy with the results, the difference in quality is substantial. If anyone wants to ditch Logitech or Creative speakers for something more decent, while not buying a home recording studio, this is a good choice.

Thing What Kicks
    Yeah, my headset comes with its own USB soundcard, and that's great. I was really weirded out when I was reading one of Alec Meer's articles on RPS the other day, and he was complaining of audio problems, and that swapping out his PCI soundcard didn't fix things.
    I haven't bought a PCI soundcard for years now. If I didn't have my Sennheiser's USB soundcard, I'd be using onboard sound, which has been great for at least the last decade.

My previous headphones were Audio-Technica, the Bose don't sound any worse and their noise-cancelling is significantly better.

One thing I noticed was that I tried plugging my headset directly into the audio jack on my new motherboard, and I was shocked to hear audio problems, especially breakup when the CPU was under load.
    Seriously, in 2017?
    I switched back to my keyboard-soundcard very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    I think I did, but it wasn't working. Mind you, having to wear a baseball cap with the IR tracking points on it, while a minor impediment, is enough to prevent me from firing it up regularly.
    I was surprised by how well the Tobii Eye Tracker 4c does the job of a TrackIR without the need for external sensors, and you can set it up to use head tracking but not eye tracking, though I've found that eye tracking is pretty neat for finetuning. It doesn't do all the degrees of freedom that TrackIR offers, and I wouldn't go so far as to say that the 4c is absolutely worth the price (finding settings that work for you can be a hassle, I've had minor issues with bugs and conflicts and in the end I don't play games using it often enough), but I think that if I didn't have an Oculus Rift and played Elite more often, or any cockpit sim that supports it, I'd be very happy with the 4c.

Thing What Kicks
    Interestingly, The Division has Tobii support.
    I've been eyeing (GEDDIT?!) it for a while now, but it's still too pricey to justify the spend on.

Audio-Technica series I use don't have noise cancelling, they're just closed headphones, mostly used in sound/sample recording; DT990Pro are open and for studio mixing. All of them have great natural sound and very nice instrument and frequencies separation. Bose sound is colored (muddy bass, too aggressive highs) and noticeably worse with noise cancelling on. But if you don't hear the difference, then you might not need it. Still, Beyers cost around $180, AT is $80. That's nowhere near $320 for Bose.

Ubisoft seems to be quite good at supporting it. Watch_dogs 2 works with it; the guys at Tobii gave me a Steam code for it just because I got in touch with them and gave some feedback, though I haven't played it much yet. There's something not immediately intuitive about head and eye tracking in a third-person game.

One thing that's tricky about the Tobii 4c is that if my experience with it is anything to go by, your first impressions won't be great. It's weird to have both your head and eye movements tracked with no external frame of reference and it requires finetuning, and after the first hour or so I thought, well, that's GBP200 thrown out the window. Now I prefer it to TrackIR, though, exactly because I don't have to wear anything for it to work, and I don't really miss the degrees of freedom it lacks. If you do get one at some point, make sure to take your initial reactions with a few grains of salt.

So I've actually been keeping a collection of all the peripherals and systems I have, complete with photographs. I figured it was time to upload this to my web site. Enjoy.

http://games.zerker.ca/GameHardware/

No VR stuff yet, though. Or even PS move.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12