TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Styx: Shards Of Darkness

Level 10,000 achieved

Styx: Shards Of Darkness

They just released an 8 min gameplay vid of this.

Also here's the E3 Trailer.

Gameplay looks mostly unchanged from the first one, bar a few new abilities. I like the look of the big open levels. Don't like Styx' dumb quips. It'll probably be alright.

Release date: Q1 2017

Thing What Kicks
    I started the last game a couple of times, but it just couldn't hold my attention. The stealth felt clunky and I didn't find the story engaging at all.

Eww - quest markers?

the first one had a meh story with a really cool twist. meh levels, too large, not much in them, and the hub levels were too linear. and really meh stealth that *forced* you to take out people to be able to beat it.

generally very mediocre but not so bad that i cant have hope for the second one. ill probably give it a try ice its out and on sale.

quest markers etc can be turned off (in the first one that is) but i highly recommend against doing that. or playing it on anything but easy/normal lol (coming from someone who supreme ghosts with difficulty mods)

Sounds like Tenchu, which often also necessitated combat unless speedran. That said, quest markers tend to be a design crutch and there are too many good games out there.
    Last edited by TannisRoot; 8th Oct 2016 at 10:42.

Hmm, the first one (Master of Shadows) is the most thief like game I've played. Although I mostly agree with TheDuriel I would rate it a little higher when comparing to other modern games. I'm going to give the sequel a chance at least.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Looks like the Styx sequel has a release date - March 14th - very excited for this:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/355790/

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuriel View Post
    really meh stealth that *forced* you to take out people to be able to beat it.
    Not true at all, I ghosted most of it.

I found the levels were so thick with enemies that taking them out was just too much of a hassle compared to ghosting through. Admittedly, though, I found the whole game enough of a hassle that I never did finish it.

Southquarter.com/fms
    This came out yesterday - anyone pick it up? I'd love to, but I'm waiting until I finish some other games that I'm currently in the middle of. Reviews so far are OK (which is good enough for me, this game is definitely a niche buy for stealth fans, most people aren't going to be crazy about it).

Level 10,000 achieved
    73? That's a slightly higher average than it's predecessor! I'm sure I'll pick this up in a sale at some point and enjoy it. I read Alec Meer's review yesterday and it sounds pretty much like what I'd expected.

What it’s got on its side is purity. What it has against it is its lead character.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    This came out yesterday - anyone pick it up? I'd love to, but I'm waiting until I finish some other games that I'm currently in the middle of. Reviews so far are OK (which is good enough for me, this game is definitely a niche buy for stealth fans, most people aren't going to be crazy about it).
    The Good
    - Amazing animations.
    - Stealth is top notch
    - Maps have tons of shortcuts

The Bad?
    - You may not like Styx new personality, he is kinda of a Dead Pool now. I found it awesome, he pokes joke on AC, Dishonored and even Thief.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    73? That's a slightly higher average than it's predecessor! I'm sure I'll pick this up in a sale at some point and enjoy it. I read Alec Meer's review yesterday and it sounds pretty much like what I'd expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDuriel View Post
    the first one had a meh story with a really cool twist. meh levels, too large, not much in them, and the hub levels were too linear. and really meh stealth that *forced* you to take out people to be able to beat it.

generally very mediocre but not so bad that i cant have hope for the second one. ill probably give it a try ice its out and on sale.

quest markers etc can be turned off (in the first one that is) but i highly recommend against doing that. or playing it on anything but easy/normal lol (coming from someone who supreme ghosts with difficulty mods)
    Gameplay is amazing fun on this one, i finished the first one just couple days a go, it was an okay experience. But with this one? It's an amazing stealth game.

Every Thief fan should play this.