TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Things we do out of nostalgia

That reminds me, although I've mentioned it already in other threads, that my wife and I have an annual ritual of setting up my old C64 during the week between xmas and new years and revisiting our stack of disks.

X-Files was the reason I didn't buy Deus Ex when it first came out. My girlfriend (later my wife) was totally addicted to that show. I always thought it was cheesy, and by the end of its run I could hardly stand to be in the room when it was on. Same thing with Lost.

Since we're talking about 1990s TV, who can forget 90210. Everybody I know was watching that show.

On a side note I used nostalgia to my advantage with my little eBay side business of selling retro videogames (snes, megadrive and the original NES). Nice little money earner.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    Occasionally when I have a few minutes to kill, I like to browse Google Earth/Maps/Street View (or similar services) and visit places I used to live and places I've spent a lot of time at. Just to see what's new and see whether I remember things right. For instance, this past weekend, my wife and I spent a few minutes checking out new construction around our old place in Sydney. One time I spent a whole 45 minute ferry ride touring Shinjuku and Kabukicho, mostly trying to remember where my favorite bars and restaurants were. Another time, I put it up on the big TV and my Dad and I browsed around various Lake Ontario ports we used to put out of to go fishing.
    I did this with my old haunts in England. The old air base is no more, only apartments now. Some things sting. On the other hand The Barley Mow pub is still going strong. I never would have recalled the name if not for Google maps. Ever notice things look so much cleaner and brighter on Google? I remember things more down and dirty. Maybe it's the eyes I'm looking out of.

And holy popsicle Queue man I do NOT remember Mary Ann looking that seductive. If she had done that on the show it would have run 10 seasons.

After 7 month absence, I visited a close group of friends I made through a board games meetup. I played one game. I won.

My Los Angeles visit is now complete. I may return home in peace ;p

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    edit: I feel the need to remind everyone that Yak is still gross. Cereal is meant to be cold and crunchy, damnit!

If anyone's been watching South Park, nostalgia is a major theme in this season with the introduction of "member berries".

Moderator and Priest
    You joke about it, Yak. But really?

...you are a monster. O_0

Honestly, man, I don't know why I keep making fun of you about this. I'm stretching out the joke too far, and it's starting to get mean. But...yeah, seriously. What the hell?

I already answered it in the thread title ;p nostalgia. There really isn't any other rational reason behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    I never watched X-Files during the 90s (well maybe the odd episode), and recently tried to watch them all with my wife and we quit on series 3 as it was just way too cheesy.
    They both have great screen presence, but it got tiring having to wade through the annoying supernatural / occult / religious episodes to get to the more engaging alien / biology-horror ones.
    Also, the way Scully's scepticism gets reset after each episode gets increasingly bizarre.
    I was a devoted viewer in the 90s, and the coolest episodes were always the standalone Monster-of-the-week ones, while the government-conspiracy-with-aliens saga bored the hell out of me. I set out watching the revival of the series earlier this year, but forgot about it after 3 or so episodes. The adaptation of the series to the current TV landscape was an ill fit, imo. The magic was gone.

That said, I believe if I watched the old episodes again today, they'd probably have lost some of their lustre, as well.

Edit: On topic, I'm not very prone to nostalgia, but I do occasionally play Thief fan missions, which for me counts as nostalgia, even if I've never played them before. Hell, even coming here is a form of nostalgia.
    Last edited by hopper; 10th Nov 2016 at 05:57.

verbose douchebag
    Agree on the monster episodes being the best. I also enjoyed the aliens & conspiracy ones, but it was the ghost / cult / supernatural ones which I found crossed my credulity threshold.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    If anyone's been watching South Park, nostalgia is a major theme in this season with the introduction of "member berries".
    It depends on the writers over time, but SP has been always sort of nostalgic (albeit very recently topical at the same time), just like the Simpsons and Family Guy. SP has been around for over 20 years now. I stopped watching about 10 years ago, but still see a few new episodes from time to time. It has run its course and has been pushing the gag far too long. Still funny here and there, but sort of meh... Just my opinion. It is still popular and I do enjoy some of the new stuff.

As for “member berries” I’ve got to check into that. That gives me a reason to look at some more new episodes. I tried to watch the “election” one recently, but found it pretty boring and very predictable. I know Garrison had been running as an orange faced freak for a while. I did not see enough of these types of episodes to tell if they were as harsh to the Clinton archetype too. They usually screw everyone, but it did not feel that way in the episode I watched.

Occasionally SP does take a stance, maybe they are pushing anti-Trump message? Haven't seen the episode yet, is it out? Now I'm curious to watch it.

I'd rather watch Alien again then ridley scott clumsily rippng it off in his old age.

I enjoy watching classics again more then remakes or imitations.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Occasionally SP does take a stance, maybe they are pushing anti-Trump message? Haven't seen the episode yet, is it out? Now I'm curious to watch it.
    They are for the most part, but that's not the issue with this season.

The plotline falls kind of flat except for the first few episodes jokes about trolling.

I sometimes go on YouTube and search for videos of thief, but thats about it. I do wonder about buying a laptop and installing the games again, but I never do. :-(

Get in the car and drive 3 hours down to NYC and hang out for a day in all the old haunts -- stop into the Pakistani deli for coffee to go, have lunch in a hole-in-the-wall falafel place, wander up to St. John the Divine's to see if there are still peacocks on the grounds of the cathedral, take the train up to CCNY and marvel I can still walk up the hill at 137th Street. Meet up with some friends from days when they were at Columbia law, go have Chinese or Indian food for dinner, crash on the couch at one of their places and drive back upstate the next afternoon with an assortment of homebrew kimchi, tofu etc. from the upper upper west side markets. Oh yeah, and somewhere along the way remember to grab a dirty water hot dog in midtown if I take the train down there to see what's different.

I love living in the boondocks but man the food and the diverse energy of the city are necessary tonics for me now and then. I thought after I retired I'd not miss it much because "everyone says" the hustle-bustle (not to say chaos) of the city is too much to handle when you get old. Wrong!

On balance I think I liked best the long stretch where I was living in the sticks and keeping my place in the city, even though for the most part I could telecommute from upstate. Finally giving up the apartment fifteen years ago left room in my budget for other things but... too bad not enough for a helicopter LOL. I miss the hustle sometimes and all those ethnic foods all the time! my replications are hardly stellar yet.

Only solution must be to practice all my begged and borrowed recipes more often; eventually I'll get too old to want to brave the crazy traffic into the city even in off hours. So far I haven't run out of expletives so I'm not speechless yet at some of the maneuvers I see people managing while they ignore laws on cellphones and driving. But I'm not a fan of that part of my nostalgic journeys.

Digitalised most of my CDs, now listening to Eric Burdon & The Animals. This following program is dedicated to the city and people of San Francisco who may not know it but they are beautiful. kehe I should still have some weed around.

A common thing is to vote for a political party based on what it used to stand for.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    Digitalised most of my CDs, now listening to Eric Burdon & The Animals. This following program is dedicated to the city and people of San Francisco who may not know it but they are beautiful. kehe I should still have some weed around.
    Funny you should mention weed. A buddy of mine who is going to Nashville to drum for some band there I can never recall the name of left me some because I always talk of the old days and how free and easy things used to be. I suppose that can be a nostalgia trip down memory lane of a sort. Oxford, Ms. was a cool bohemian town once upon a time. Now, like San Fran, it is a poor copy of itself. The old jinky juke joints have been replaced by new brick and chrome imitations. I suppose for those who never knew it is the coolest thing going. It must be for the incredible amounts of money they pour into it.

We didn't need money and if we did we could hustle some at Purvis pool hall. Rack 'em Mr. Baxter. We had Son Thomas playing blues for tips. Monty Python movies at the Hoka you could carry a beer cooler in with to watch. Hell, I burned one with the owner and projectionist in the booth while "Wizards" clicked away. I took my wife there on our first date and we then went to airport hill to watch the planes take off from our quilt at the runway end. We flattened the grass enough for Dorothy to set her house down in and never saw a plane. Still on that first date. Never parted.

I loved the old days in Oxford. You could go to a party and meet a world famous author then hook up with that girl from history class while visions of sugar shrooms danced in your head. We may have lost some football games but we never lost a party. Then I grew up. Sort of. I accepted responsibility and enjoyed the next phase and it was as great in a different way. But somewhere when I wasn't looking the old Oxford was replaced by an invasion of the city snatchers. Bands still play but people care about what you wear to see them. Every so often you run into someone who remembers and you sit and laugh but it's most likely at a restaurant. There are no more dives. There are no more dangerous back alley encounters. You can't go home again.

Chakat sex pillow
    Every now and then, I get a pang of memory, a welling up of a blurred remembrance of a past joy, like a movie or a song or a cartoon... and I can't remember what it was. For near on a decade there have been moments where I've resolved to look up a movie about a mom and a pop UFO that meets a family, because I remember being enthralled by it when I was widdle. Part of why I haven't wanted to look it up is because, really, should we mess with the pristine happiness of those half-remembered moments? Wouldn't they be better left as they are, instead of puncturing them with the cynicism of being older?

But what if they live up to the memory? Can you deny yourself that? I have, despite myself, Googled a plot premise, seen Flight of the Navigator and The Last Starfighter. While I enjoyed them as an adult, I'm not a kid any more. They are, of course, not as good as I hoped. How could they be? The memories of them remain but are also, somehow, less bright after the viewing; yet I cannot help myself. The memory must either live up to itself or be diminished, and these days, we have the chance to do exactly that in a matter of mere moments.

I have chanced across a random list and discovered: *batteries not included is the name of the mom and pop UFO movie. ...well. Wish me luck.

For an extreme example, I rewatched Raiders of the Lost Ark not long ago and was thinking uh ... this has not aged as well as I would have imagined.
    It's still a fun adventure movie, but didn't have that immortal flavor like before, like makes people put it in the pantheon of immortal movies like Star Wars, Jaws, The Godfather....

On the other hand, some old things I've tracked down made me happy as a peach. E.g., some games I never finished back in the day and went back to finish on an emulator made me irrationally happy. The Pawn is the one I remember best. I was stuck at this one place when I played it back in the 90s, and used to have dreams what might be beyond that one room. And it wasn't until 20 years later I got it on an emulator and finally figured out how to get past the room, and I can't even describe the feels. It wasn't even that the description of the next areas were all that great. It's just that feeling of accomplishment, I finally made it somewhere I'd dreamed about.

What made you think so re: Raiders, dema? I'd disagree with you in that one, but I'm curious as to where you're coming from.

I PREFER THE
    COMPANY OF
    DEAD PEOPLE

Watching it? Not sure what you're asking. I wasn't logically thinking it out at all. It was just the impression I had that I didn't ask for. He was suddenly very young, the dialog suddenly seemed forced, the interplay with Marian was suddenly kind of bungling, the scenes that aren't the big ones -- hanging out in the university or Cairo -- were kind of just ok... It's like going back to your old elementary school and everything is just as you remembered it only somehow smaller.

Yeah, that was basically my question: what made you think it hadn't aged all that well.

Chakat sex pillow
    I suppose as good a question as any is, what things has anyone revisited that they found did stand up to their memories? Absent the rose-tinted glasses, personally, it's not even movies like Star Wars, but things like Calvin and Hobbes and The Wonder Years and M*A*S*H that rekindled the spark, even though for at least one of those things (hint: not C&H) that's with a few qualifications.