TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things we do out of nostalgia

Things we do out of nostalgia

I was recently thinking about some of my habits, and how I fall onto them for no other reason than it brings back memories...

I just picked up some Nido powdered milk. Sure, it's probably more expensive, has more calories and overall less healthy than the regular thing, but the distinct taste takes me back to being a little kid in Poland. It tastes yummy for that reason alone.

In similar vein, warm soggy cereal is a guilty pleasure of mine. When we were kids getting ready for school, our dad would get up early and boil them milk for extra safety. When we had our bowl, it was still warm enough to turn the cereal into a soggy mush. Till this day, I find the warmth and soggy texture oddly comforting.

Just some random musings. What do you guys do otherwise odd or irrational things just out of pure nostalgia?

I never really thought of it as nostalgic but my go-to breakfast (since forever) is hot tea, toast with butter and Marmite(tm), and a side of plain cottage cheese. It's an ocean of calm in a chaotic world.

Mine is popara, made with 500ml limeflower (tilia blossom) tea that's been boiled for 6-7 minutes, sweetened with 3-4 table spoons sugar, toasted old white bread teared up in pieces and put in the tea (enough of the bread so all the liquid is soaked up, but the bread isn't totally mushy), and with each spoonful sprinkled with some white brine cheese (feta) on top. Mmmmhmhmhhmm! My wife won't touch the stuff though, because it's sweet and salty at the same time. But it's so tasty!

Once you get a license, driving to holiday spots your parents took you to as a kid. I have done that MANY times, and completely out of nostalgia.

Revisiting cities you've lived in, relationships you've lost, people and places that have moved on. Nostalgia is hell for a nomad.

Quote Originally Posted by dj_ivocha View Post
    Mine is popara, made with 500ml limeflower (tilia blossom) tea that's been boiled for 6-7 minutes, sweetened with 3-4 table spoons sugar, toasted old white bread teared up in pieces and put in the tea (enough of the bread so all the liquid is soaked up, but the bread isn't totally mushy), and with each spoonful sprinkled with some white brine cheese (feta) on top. Mmmmhmhmhhmm! My wife won't touch the stuff though, because it's sweet and salty at the same time. But it's so tasty!
    hah reminds me bit of bread pudding

OK - so beyond comfort foods it might be toys. A few years ago I went on a binge of buying Corgi and Dinky Toys which I had as a kid.

None of these pics are of my own collection but they are items I acquired. Nostalgia can be pretty pricey, especially if you want the original box...

Lady Penelope's Pink Rolls looks like a repaint with replacement glass. There an industry for replacement parts.

I hadn't even seen Captain Scarlet before I got the SPV. It was so bad-ass I just had to have it. Great for playground self defense too.

I also got a chrome plated rebuild of the classic DB5, as well as the original.

And of course...

But my personal favourite...

My brother has that Batmobile. I have the 007 Aston Martin. Neither of us have the boxes though. Thanks for posting those pics.

For me is the smell of licorice plants (anise) and dry cleaning solvent. We used to summer on Catalina Island and stay in a place over a dry cleaners. The surrounding hill sides will covered with anise and it smelled strongly of black licorice. Also, the smell of a car that burns oil reminds me of visiting Tijuana.

I tried to watch Robotech out of nostalgia, but I couldn't get through it.

Yeah, nostalgia doesn't work well when you're living in a foreign country alien territory.

I play a lot of old games ritualistically, like Adventure or some C64 games on my commute, but I think that's more out of ritual than nostalgia per se. I mean someone could have a good argument it amounts to the same thing, but to me, some rituals have a kind of spiritual flow to them, so doing them is tapping into that flow. Even though I play a lot of classic games like that, the reason I don't think it's all nostalgia is that I play a lot of newly released indie games like that too. I just stick to games that make a deep connection.

music

we sing... well, I sing... In my opinion there's no better thing to do than singing out of nostalgia.. though sometimes it is getting really bad and I take anti depressants.
    Last edited by Giruto; 14th Dec 2016 at 12:59.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    In similar vein, warm soggy cereal is a guilty pleasure of mine.
    ...that's gross, Yak. So gross.

I've collected quite a few toys from my youth, G.I. Joe, Evel Kenevel, planet of the apes figures, monster models and the like. It seems I'm most nostalgic about the age of 8 to 12.

Masturbate to Mary Ann.

And sometimes Gilligan.

...though I'm not proud of it.

Occasionally when I have a few minutes to kill, I like to browse Google Earth/Maps/Street View (or similar services) and visit places I used to live and places I've spent a lot of time at. Just to see what's new and see whether I remember things right. For instance, this past weekend, my wife and I spent a few minutes checking out new construction around our old place in Sydney. One time I spent a whole 45 minute ferry ride touring Shinjuku and Kabukicho, mostly trying to remember where my favorite bars and restaurants were. Another time, I put it up on the big TV and my Dad and I browsed around various Lake Ontario ports we used to put out of to go fishing.

Heywood, I do the same thing. Looking up old haunts and seeing what they look like now. Not all places have ground pics though, but most have at least satellite views. I find Google to be about 2 years behind on our current house.

I spent a few years in Tbilisi so from time to time I break out the Georgian cookbook and whip up some khachapuri or khinkali. Not sure if that really counts as nostalgia since Georgian cuisine is pretty great, although anything beyond bread and dumplings requires a healthy appreciation for tarragon, walnuts, and figs.

Even though I didn't watch them when they were airing, the X-Files, Buffy, and Twin Peaks fill me with nostalgia. They feel like time capsules and I love to relish that bygone era even though I wasn't that old when they were airing.

Moderator and Priest
    Watching Twin Peaks and X-Files are weird. They bring me back too, just like you said. But...damn, I don't remember the early 90's being that cheesy.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Watching Twin Peaks and X-Files are weird. They bring me back too, just like you said. But...damn, I don't remember the early 90's being that cheesy.
    It was a different world then, guess it had a kind of earnest charm.

On this playthrough of Haunted Cathedral, I decided to crank all the lights on, so I wouldnt miss that final nugget that always eludes me! Anyway, I just noticed for the first time, outside that cool mansion with the two haunts, there is a key right outside the front door. Slide the doormat over, and a key rests in a little hole. Never noticed that one before! Right thread?!1! Oh noes...

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by TannisRoot View Post
    It was a different world then, guess it had a kind of earnest charm.
    It was real woodsy, and everyone had stupid clothes and haircuts.

edit: I feel the need to remind everyone that Yak is still gross. Cereal is meant to be cold and crunchy, damnit!

verbose douchebag
    I never watched X-Files during the 90s (well maybe the odd episode), and recently tried to watch them all with my wife and we quit on series 3 as it was just way too cheesy.
    They both have great screen presence, but it got tiring having to wade through the annoying supernatural / occult / religious episodes to get to the more engaging alien / biology-horror ones.
    Also, the way Scully's scepticism gets reset after each episode gets increasingly bizarre.

Spend too much money buying an NES and games, only to play them a few times before forgetting it again.