TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Musicals!

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    And all that jazz! *jazz hands*
    Talking of which: Bob Fosse's All that Jazz is a brilliant film. I avoided it for a long time because I associated Bob Fosse with embarrassing people prancing about in late '70s/early '80s leotards, but the film is funny, sardonic, poignant and just plain fantastic. (Matt Zoller Seitz did a fantastic video essay about All that Jazz which is well worth watching. Spoilers, obviously, but I saw the video essay first and it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the film at all. It motivated me to finally go and see the movie.)

Chakat sex pillow
    And here I thought this thread was inspired by henke having seen La La Land. You haven't seen it, henke? Well, go see it! It's lovely, bursting with joy and superb performances, with a whole bunch of nods to the classics from Astaire to Kelly; lots of love to jazz in there as well. It's all just wonderfully heartfelt and vividly produced, and the story is as much in the body language of the leads as it is in the moments they break into song or echo a refrain on a piano. I'm happy to have seen it on a lark: my time was most definitely not wasted. I'd easily recommend it to folks who're hankering for something along the lines of the old greats.

Anyone know if avant-garde musicals are a thing? I mean in terms of the music, not the presentation.

If it's really out music, they'll probably call it avant garde or experimental opera.

The Threepenny Opera?

More like Einstein on the Beach

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    And here I thought this thread was inspired by henke having seen La La Land. You haven't seen it, henke?
    Haven't seen it, it looks good though!

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    If it's really out music, they'll probably call it avant garde or experimental opera.
    Well opera and musicals are 2 distinct formats. There's plenty of avant-garde opera out there, and I love that stuff. Absolutely can't stand the harmonic language of musicals, though, and every time someone has shown me so-called 'weird underground' musicals it's still featured the same trite harmony (that, to me, has become so cliched that it has entirely lost expressive potential).

So yeah, you could call Weill proto-musicals, but Glass is firmly in the opera category since the music is continuous.

I was thinking more the Musical theater equivalent of this sort of opera:

Level 10,000 achieved
    Update! I still haven't seen La La Land!

It opens here later this month, I'll go see it when it gets here, but I did give the album a spin on Spotify. It's good! The track that really jumps out at you is "City of Stars", and looking it up on YT just now I saw this short clip from the movie, which totally sold me on it.

Magical!

Chakat sex pillow
    I'm not saying anything about it* except it's a wonderful goddamn treat, and I'm not the biggest fan of musicals.

*well, anything more than I already have

Level 10,000 achieved

MUSICAL UPDATE

WICKED IS VERY GOOD! Perhaps great even, need to listen to it a few more times.

Also recently heard/seen:

The Lion King musical - Pretty good, a lot more songs than in the movie, but the best songs were all in the movie.
    Once - Watched this yesterday. Liked the movie, though the songs weren't really that great. Good, not great.
    Idlewild - The Outkast movie! Not great. Pretty dull, though it does have a handful of good scenes, and a couple good tunes.

Chakat sex pillow
    Once had two very good songs, and both of them are far better done live.

When Your Mind's Made Up

And if you liked those, Fitzcarraldo's another pretty good song too.

I was lucky to see Glen Hansard live early last year; Markéta Irglová did a set beforehand, and the two did some tunes together, including "Falling Slowly". I love the songs in the context of the film, but as songs I'd agree that they work better live on stage. In the film, though, they serve as more than just songs, so I really couldn't say I prefered the live version or the one in Once.

Chakat sex pillow
    That's wonderful! And it's true, the songs are woven into the fabric of the film and it's not really fair to judge one version or the other as objectively better. I'm coming at it from the position where, every now and then when I'm in the mood, I prefer to put the most immediate version of the songs on as brief emotional vignettes while proceeding to mess up dinner and order take-out instead.

Saw Once live on stage a couple of years ago, starring Ronan Keating (formerly of Boyzone fame).

It was pretty good, they had all the instruments played live on stage by the actors so it was like a cross between a show and a gig (minimal staging too, it was made to look like a pub), it worked well given the source material. Ronan wasn't the best actor, but he's got a good voice and carried the songs (and guitar playing!) well. In fact it was all acoustic (except for the voices which where mic'ed up subtly) - quite an adjustment given the previous musical show I'd seen was Phantom of the Opera which was LOUD.

Saw La La Land earlier in the week. Great! Unexpectedly moving at the end. Not the absolute strongest voices, but there's actually more dancing than singing, and it worked. As Sulphur says, a treat!

I've quite enjoyed Into the Woods (filmed version of a Sondheim musical). It's overlong, but has some great numbers.

Level 10,000 achieved
    La La Land finally opened in our cinemas tonight, just came back from seeing it. Gotta admit it wasn't doing much for me for the first half or so. Great musical numbers but the story wasn't gripping me. But from around the scene where he signs up with the band and everything sorta starts going to hell with the relationship, it was fantastic until the end. Overall, yeah, pretty damn good! That Ryan Gosling! Between this and Nice Guys I will award him the coveted HENKE'S CHOICE: ACTOR OF THE YEAR 2016 AWARD.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Dug into a new pile of musicals over the past week. Fun Home, based on an autobiographical novel by Alison Bechdel(yes, that Bechdel) was really good, but also a bit too depressing for repeat-listens. Newsies didn't really grab me, and I'm also learning that Webber's stuff is not my bag. 1776, recommended by SlyFoxx earlier in this thread, I had listened to previously as well, but I've given it a couple more spins. Very good! It's very much focused on John Adams, and it was fun listening to it before and after having seen the HBO series about him and noticing how they each tell the same story in different ways.

Lastly, Legally Blonde kept popping up in "musicals you must listen to" lists. I haven't seen the movie it's based on, but I gave it a spin. Mostly it's quite ho-hum, but it does have a couple stand-out numbers. One is "Whipped into shape" which is kind of a chick-flick version of "Eye of the Tiger", the other is the song where Elle sets out on her mission to GET HER MAN BACK! It's called "What you want", it's a very catchy and funny song that packs a lot of storytelling.

Does Sweeney Todd count, too?

Tim Burton and Johnny Depp also made a wonderful movie.

saw hair spray with the wife at the theater, it was ok.

Level 10,000 achieved
    A few years back Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote this mini-musical for This American Life, based on a story they'd covered about a highschool student who falls in love with an undercover police officer. It's wonderful, funny and heartbreaking. Give it a listen.

Also available on Spotify!