TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Musicals!

Still Subjective
    JCSS is the best musical.

The funk!

The original film versions of the tracks are so good and Judas is awesome in it. I saw a live show last year in Regents Park outdoor theatre and would recommend it 100%.

I grew up with it, so I can't say how much is nostalgia/childhood indoctrination, but '70s Jewison's definitely an interesting director.

Level 10,000 achieved

I found a new musical I like!

Hands on a Hardbody, if you're unfamiliar with the term it's basically the most American kind of competition you could imagine. A bunch of people stand around with their hands on a truck and whoever can keep their hands on it the longest without passing out wins the truck. The musical features music by Trey Anastasio (of Phish) and a cast that includes Keith Carradine! Most of the music has a bit of a country-tinge to it, but the real showstopper is this gospel number halfway through:

Here's another great number, a duet called "I'm Gone".

I've listened through the album twice, but as far as I can tell there isn't really a strong central story, instead the songs are mainly the individual characters telling their personal stories. Those short stories are good stuff though, and the music is very good. Recommended!

Level 10,000 achieved
    I just came back from seeing a musical at my local theatre. This one:

(with this very cast!)

It's a quite recent Swedish musical about Ingvar Kamprad, the founder of IKEA. Starts off a bit slow, but by song 3 or 4 when Ingvar has gotten his business off the ground and is interviewing employees it kicks into high-gear and stays pretty solid until the end. Good music, good performances. Yeah, all around good stuff!
    Last edited by henke; 25th Oct 2017 at 16:08.

Administrator
    A musical furniture saga? I'm not convinced...