TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Dark Forest and other projects

Darkbourg stuff

I'm tired of bugs with sleeping NPCs. So I decided to use static objects. It will use the snoring sounds. Maybe I'll do breathing animation via Tweq.
    There will be several types of objects with different characters. Also I plan to make sitting figures.

Variation with barefoot:

Tramp in the barrel (this is real NPC):

Looks great but how you make this work when you hit sleeping guy? Teleportation real AI, near bed? Nothing, just mission failed?

In my missions can not kill unarmed. But maybe I'll think of something more interesting.

The most amazing stuff i've ever seen in Thief! Soul Tear i really love all your work! I don't know what to say... WOW

Good luck with all your projects

Great Job Soul Tear!

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    so your "stable" 40-50 FPS will be 5-10 FPS on their PCs or laptops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul Tear View Post
    That's their problem.
    That's also my opinion. People have to update their systems. We live in 2017 and not in 2000!

Also the HD mod doesn't work on old systems. That's why it's called "HD" and not "low resolution"...

By the way...my PC is 8 years old and it works!
    Last edited by Gecko; 14th Apr 2017 at 09:02.

Updating a system won't do, when it's the engine you're using that is being pushed beyond its limits. It will always slow down, no matter the hardware. At some point it will start crashing. And there's no excuse to that, especially now, when the NewDark has a LOD system. Besides, if you want people to play your mission, you have to employ some performance metrics, define a target specs or a range of specs etc. "But it works on my machine!" is a childish approach, you may as well keep your work to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Updating a system won't do, when it's the engine you're using that is being pushed beyond its limits. It will always slow down, no matter the hardware. At some point it will start crashing. And there's no excuse to that, especially now, when the NewDark has a LOD system. Besides, if you want people to play your mission, you have to employ some performance metrics, define a target specs or a range of specs etc. "But it works on my machine!" is a childish approach, you may as well keep your work to yourself.
    I know what you mean. But i don't have the option to test the HD mod on other systems by myself because i only have one PC-System. For this we have beta tester. But you are right....i should define system requirement for players. If the engine is the problem then you have to reduce the objects. But the LOD system is so great for all upcoming FMs. I'm curious what we will see in the future...

Gecko, Cardia, thanks!

Darkbourg Update

Work on Darkbourg goes all the way. Unfortunately now I do not want to work on KoI The good side of the matter is that The Dark Forest is completed by 90% and I can quickly complete it as soon as I catch the right wave.

Remarks and advices are welcome.

Wow! Those are just gorgeous!

[explanative] me those are lookin gooood

Soul Tear, that one of the most impressive works ive ever seen in this community, you are definitely one of the best authors regarding level design, and surely you and Zontik are the best regarding details and flexible maps. This will be a most wanted project i want to play, but please make a easygoing gameplay at least for "normal" difficult mode. keep going with the excellent work.
    Last edited by Cardia; 22nd May 2017 at 17:22.

I'm so impressed, even there is reflection on water. I can imagine all that detail level along with a great environmental sound, great atmosphere, and playing this with mi room on darkness. What a missions!. Thanks Soul Tear for your hard work.
    Last edited by caqo; 22nd May 2017 at 20:37.

i can hear the dog barking now after seeing those amazing pics

I can hear the echoes of Dewdrop now after seeing those amazing screenshots. Quality stuff.

I'm melting over here, that is wild

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    Soul Tear, that one of the most impressive works ive ever seen in this community, you are definitely one of the best authors regarding level design, and surely you and Zontik are the best regarding details and flexible maps. This will be a most wanted project i want to play, but please make a easygoing gameplay at least for "normal" difficult mode. keep going with the excellent work.
    I remember your request. Yes, I agree. The main goals can be fulfilled without unnecessary problems. However, optional tasks can be more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    i can hear the dog barking now after seeing those amazing pics
    There are both dogs and cats.

Quote Originally Posted by H3H3 View Post
    I can hear the echoes of Dewdrop now after seeing those amazing screenshots. Quality stuff.
    Ok But I'll probably make a new model.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Tear View Post
    Ok But I'll probably make a new model.
    You gonna add some dirt and grime to Dewdrop? Downwinder wouldn't be very happy about that.

How goes your projects Soul_tear? Any FMs coming by the end of the year?

Probably I will disappoint you
    I plan to finish KoI 3 in September. However, I'm not sure that I want to release it separately from KoI 4. This will not get the desired effect. Although...
    Well, I definitely will not finish KoI 4 or 'Darkbourg' by the end of the year. In addition, I'm trying to learn TDM and learn how to create character models. So I do not know when I will be able to finish anything.

While I'm excited, but do take your time and not get burned out. We have some, 2 for sure, big releases coming to keep us busy.

I myself am trying to keep on track but been fantasizing about breaking off to give my most emotional connected OM; Bafford's Manor, the KoI treatment. That is, a reimagining of that mission with more challenges, HD textures, sliptip water and fire, streets populated with fine objects.

Beautiful, and thank you for all the hours and effort you put into this