TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: health shield doesn't show up

yep eliminating some areas and compress the textures to exclude the ones used one those areas allowed the health shield to show up again. I already suspected the problem was due to the fact that there was many textures present. Now the question is, is it better to have 4 explorable places without the health shields or have the health shields and not have those 4 areas to explore. What do you think?

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    This is not an issue with textures only, but with resources. Did you use an (old) custom gamesys that's full of old junk? You can delete stuff that you don't need (textures, sounds, objects, even metaproperties and the like).

Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    This is not an issue with textures only, but with resources. Did you use an (old) custom gamesys that's full of old junk? You can delete stuff that you don't need (textures, sounds, objects, even metaproperties and the like).
    i haven't placed yet the sounds, when you compress the textures that excludes already the unused ones, right? i´ve been using always the same gamesys. metaproperties can be also extra stuff?

Its hard for me to decide, on one hand i like the screen without UI elements, on the other hand that map i made offers some dangerous features for the players, like high falls that can happen by accident, being attacked by an ai creature, and its on those situations that the player wants be aware of its current health bar.

You you say?

i could repeat some textures, but that would be a little bit repetitive. i don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    i haven't placed yet the sounds
    Very good.

Well, clear out your mission/gamesys. Get rid of stuff that you don't need.
    The players want the UI elements. But they don't need your music or 1000 types of textures.
    The vanishing UI elements is just what you see. But there's a lot more that you can't see. Enable the monolog window and go in game mode. Watch the monolog while you're walking around. You'll see that it's full of warnings about stuff that can't be loaded/displayed.

Thank Unna, i will add conversation sounds and three musics in one mixed track. I don't see how sounds and metaprops can affect the quantity of textures

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    I don't see how sounds and metaprops can affect the quantity of textures
    I surrender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    This is not an issue with textures only, but with resources.

you mean i've reached the max of information?

You appear to have exceeded the max of all resources: objects, object textures, meshes, mesh textures, brush textures, sounds, bitmap textures, etc.. If it is any kind of file which is referenced by your mission, that is counted. You need to simplify. You don't need to get rid of areas to explore. You need to reuse some textures instead of each building having unique textures. That's an example. I don't know your mission. Only you know your mission. But you need to cut back on the files you are using in any of your directories. There is a MAXIMUM for files as well as maximums for each type of individual thing. You seem to have hit the MAXIMUM for everything. Skinny it down. Look especially at any animations. They can chew up files faster than you think. Look at your monolog errors and warnings, and try to fix each one.

Thanks for the help guys i'll see what i can do.

WARNING: cell cycle detected in ray cast between cells 5926 <-> 5922
    WARNING: cell cycle detected in ray cast between cells 5926 <-> 5922
    After you figure out your resource problem I would high recommend looking at this.

Thanks John, i´ll see if i can fix that problem.

strange, the health shield appears now after i installed newdark 1.25 in a save mis file i had with a problem regarding the health shield. can anyone tell me why?

Maybe because the new version has higher limits on resources?

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    Maybe because the new version has higher limits on resources?
    That's what i wanted to hear Thanks John

No problem Cardia. I don't know anything about ND 1.25 do it might have something in the release notes concerning increased limits.

From modders_notes for 1.25:
    Max application data handles: 4096 (from 2048)
    Max model handles: 2048 (from 1024)

Quote Originally Posted by Zontik View Post
    From modders_notes for 1.25:
    Thanks Yuri, i don't now the term "Handles" but i figure it has to do with the objects or brushes you use . Well guess i can complete my first map with more 4 rooms like i had planned.

In computer programming, a handle is an abstract reference to a resource. Handles are used when application software references blocks of memory or objects managed by another system, such as a database or an operating system.
    Ref. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handle_(computing)

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    In computer programming, a handle is an abstract reference to a resource. Handles are used when application software references blocks of memory or objects managed by another system, such as a database or an operating system.
    Ref. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handle_(computing)
    Thank you LarryG, it always important as 3d modeler to be aware and know this information to use it later for important tasks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12