TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What a sad end to a great game

Last time I saw it on Steam, it was "Mixed", not "Very positive" or higher. And it had pretty low review count for a AAA game (around 10k).

Level 10,000 achieved
    At the moment it's at...

RECENT: Mixed (73 reviews)
    OVERALL: Mostly Positive (10,660 reviews)
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/239160/

There you have it, folks. Nearly 3 years after release, Thief 2014 has been deemed "Mostly positive". 10660 Steam user can't be wrong, can they?

Hilarious...

Metacritic = 5.8 user score...http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/th...MCD-06-10aaa1f

TTLG = 4.8 user score...http://www.ttlg.com/forums/poll.php?...do=showresults

So there you go!...Lookin' real good!

Southquarter.com/fms
    Back when I was in school, 70% was considered the lowest end of "average" and would get you a grade of C-.

Yeah, safe to say I had higher expectations from a Thief game.

Quote Originally Posted by Increasing View Post
    Watch Thief's sales to be better than that of latest Deus Ex, title much better received around here
    But they share the same poor narrative design flaws.

I really liked T4. I however didn't go into it expecting an experience akin to the early games, I just hoped for a good experience, which is what I got.

Similarly when I played Human Revolution I was not expecting anything like the dizzy heights of Deus Ex (and the lesser but still great DE2), and would have been disappointed if I had. But I was hoping for a very good game, which is what it was.

Same goes for SS3. Extraordinarily unlikely it will match the heights of SS2 so if you go in expecting that then this might mar the experience.

One another note, my fantasy new Thief game would be made in the dark engine so it feels exactly like T1 and T2. They can upgrade the visuals but leave the feel and mechanics similar. Never going to happen of course, but it is a fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigam View Post
    I really liked T4. I however didn't go into it expecting an experience akin to the early games, I just hoped for a good experience, which is what I got.

Similarly when I played Human Revolution I was not expecting anything like the dizzy heights of Deus Ex (and the lesser but still great DE2), and would have been disappointed if I had. But I was hoping for a very good game, which is what it was.

Same goes for SS3. Extraordinarily unlikely it will match the heights of SS2 so if you go in expecting that then this might mar the experience.

One another note, my fantasy new Thief game would be made in the dark engine so it feels exactly like T1 and T2. They can upgrade the visuals but leave the feel and mechanics similar. Never going to happen of course, but it is a fantasy.
    Try the new intro mission of The Dark Mod 2.05. That new mission (included in the bundle as a prequel to St. Lucia) is heavily Thief 2014 first level inspired but of course plays like Thief 1/2.

I'm playing through Thief (2014) again and trying to give it a second chance. Too Hollywood and not enough of the original feel for my tastes, but a decent game overall. Not a great Thief game, but a decent game.

On the Dishonored side of things, look at the dev team.

First, you've got Terri Brosius (yes, Eric Brosius' wife) the writer, level designer, and voiceover actor of Viktoria from the original T1 and T2 series, wrote for TDS, and voiced Shodan from System Shock. She's one of the lead writers and even worked on Dishonored 2.

You also have Harvey Smith, who worked on System Shock and Deus Ex.

Then Austin Grossman, who wrote for LGS on System Shock and Deus Ex as well as writing for TDS.

And then in Dishonored 2, the lead character, Corvo Attano, finally got a voice. And what a voice he got... Stephen Russell. Yes, the original voice of Garrett.

You basically have a huge chunk of the original LGS team working on Dishonored, which is one of the reasons many Thief fans felt right at home. It's not Thief. It never will be. But it's definitely an extension of the mechanics and interactive storyline developed by the original series. You even get several nods at the Thief and Deus Ex franchises within the game. There are characters with names such as Ramirez (remember that?) and even a verbatim quote during a training session ("See if you can move without being detected...").

For a Thief fan I highly recommend Dishonored but strongly remind you that it is NOT Thief. It's Thief's cousin from out of town with a cool convertible, but it's still in the bloodline.

Quote Originally Posted by saxmeister View Post
    You basically have a huge chunk of the original LGS team working on Dishonored, which is one of the reasons many Thief fans felt right at home. It's not Thief. It never will be. But it's definitely an extension of the mechanics and interactive storyline developed by the original series. You even get several nods at the Thief and Deus Ex franchises within the game. There are characters with names such as Ramirez (remember that?) and even a verbatim quote during a training session ("See if you can move without being detected...").

For a Thief fan I highly recommend Dishonored but strongly remind you that it is NOT Thief. It's Thief's cousin from out of town with a cool convertible, but it's still in the bloodline.
    I heartily agree! I loved Dishonored and loved D2 even more. And yes, when I first started playing Dishonored I felt, oddly enough, as though I'd come home. THIS was a game that seemed familiar to me, even though it was brand new and D2 made me feel even more so. You know, the feeling of walking into a pub, seeing old (and newer) friends, grabbing a pint and putting your feet up in front of a warm hearth whilst regaling your friends with stories of your prowess as a thief. Thi4f made me feel all hollow and empty inside; all flash, no substance. Big difference.

I've been replaying bits of the first Dishonored this week and I think it's my favorite Deus Ex game. I do hope that after Arkane remakes System Shock that they do a spiritual successor to Thief.

Pray that Prey sells well, then, certainly significantly better than Dishonored 2. Otherwise, I can't see then being given a chance to develop another new IP.
    Though, I can't see them developing a direct Thief clone anyway, as that would be way too close to Dishonored (basically, it would be seen as Dishonored with nerfed combat and much more robust stealth).

An homage to Thief wouldn't need to be set in the same kind of universe. Superficially anyway; obviously you'd need the order vs chaos vs "passive observer" aspect but it wouldn't need to be medieval steampunk fantasy or whatever.

I think the "sad end to a great game" came after LGS closed its doors. The problem (as I see it), is that these young programmers of today simply don't "get it". They weren't around to play PC games back when T1 and T2 first came out, and therefore have no frame of reference as to what made them so great (even with their flaws). I was very vocal and active in stating what was expected of both T3 and T4, and for all my (and many others) efforts, all we got were contextual rope arrows in T4. Would it have strained the budget of either game to hire Stephen Russell? I seriously doubt it. I'm not going to rehash all the flaws of those games, but I will mention that T3's "wall flatten" and T4's "swoop", as well as T4's terrible "shroud effect" and Garrett costume surely prove the point that these guys just don't get it. We all have to face the fact that we're never going to have that experience again with this game series.

Yeah, I love when the "hardcore Thief fans" think original games were something super-sophisticated that everybody else is not getting it. Great ego boost and all, but false. It's really not rocket science.

It's more probable that Thief 2014 devs knew what Thief was, or at least did their homework, maybe had ideas about adding something new to the mix, but it was all buried when marketing and finance guys stepped in, saying that is has to sell in so many copies (Square is notorious for overblown sales expectations), that the only option is to target lowest common denominator.

You don't have to have played a game at release to understand what it's about and put it back into context. I was born in 1991, played Ultima Underworld a few years ago for the first time and I can clearly see how incredibly important and influential that game is, even indirectly (and it's also a masterpiece).

I got the impression playing Thi4f that the regular designers were really into it. As far as visual fidelity goes, the game really is top notch if you can forget the really dubious character design. The atmosphere is a bit banal compared to Thief Gold, for example, but it is still very competently made, immersive when the game itself works and all the levels look fantastic. I would've loved to have huge interconnected levels like that instead of the small compartmented maps of the final product.

I also get the impression, however, that the lead designers were really full of themselves and utterly convinced they were actually improving upon the old formula. Nah. To add on what Judith says, unlike designers the suits and marketing guys usually are not gamers themselves and I highly doubt they understand what the originals were about. Sometimes these people are right, most often than not they're flat out wrong. All they see is money to be made and losses to recover from if the project turns out to be a dud at release. I remember some insane demands from publishers when I was working on E.Y.E., asking us to dumb down the game like crazy before they would pick us up. Just look at how Square Enix butchered Mankind Divided.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    I remember some insane demands from publishers when I was working on E.Y.E., asking us to dumb down the game like crazy before they would pick us up.
    I did not know this. What parts of the game did you work on, I guess I'd have to assume level design?

Publishers are simply DUMBS. If you make the core audience hate the game in this social influencing era, you're good just to - virtually - DIE.
    See Crysis sad end too.

I've only just come across Thie4f. Was a great fan of the earlier games and fan missions but loved the graphics and gameplay of Garretts latest outing. Not everyone wants to rampage a around with blazing guns or zombies. BTW a fire arrow headshot sorted out the undead in Moiras sanatorium.Great stuff.Erin had to die at the end. Thought Garrett and Erin had a gaming future. Thing is not all gamers want perfection in every way. Playability is the thing. Keeps me entertained and probably loads of others.😜😁😁

I'm not so sure about her being dead. Though, we'll never know anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by marycwmbach View Post
    Thought Garrett and Erin had a gaming future.
    Ouch...The thought is very painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Increasing View Post
    I'm not so sure about her being dead. Though, we'll never know anyway.
    ...and we can thank The Builder for that.

I agree with the Errant Signal guy on all the negatives he mentioned, but not that the game was 'interesting'.

You know how there are games that you know you will be disappointed in but you still buy them on sale and try out - Thi4f is not that game lol I will never play it.