TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 HYPETHREAD

Chakat sex pillow
    I wrote a preposterously long scribble on it during the holidays here.

In essence, Bioware's approach to semi-open world design and its attendant expansion of scope appears to be: sprinkle as many grindy collect-a-thons around the environments as possible to make them not seem like beautiful expanses full of very little to do. DA:I's side-quests/upgrade systems pretty much had you scouring the landscape for rocks every few seconds or killing random mobs of respawning wildlife/enemies until you had enough of X resource to dump on a crafting or research table, which wasn't the most fun gameplay loop in the world. ME:A's gameplay trailer points to similar systems of resource gathering, crafting, and research being part of the experience, which as you can imagine is a bit troubling.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 14th Jan 2017 at 14:54.

I guess it depends on how its handled? The first game had some of that shit too, but I genuinely enjoyed cruising around in the Mako collecting stuff. You're right, though, if 90% of the game is MMO nonsense like DA:I then yeah, I'm out.

Chakat sex pillow
    Well, Laidlaw isn't directing it, so fingers still crossed. I'm waiting to see more actual gameplay, plus there's some pretty strong echoes of ME1 in the whole thing, and that's its own bag of pros and cons.

Quote Originally Posted by Malleus View Post
    I'd sell my soul to bring Tangiers back from the dead. Unfortunately it's totally vapor right now.
    Soul well spent.

Southquarter.com/fms
    No offense to the Tangiers guys, but we've heard this before.

Level 10,000 achieved
    THE TIME HAS COME

THE TIME TO REVEAL THE TIME THAT THE THING THAT IS THIS GAME IS COMING OUT

BEEEEEHOOOOOLLDDD

Level 10,000 achieved
    ^ who knows what I was on about.

Polygon just listed the remaining big releases of the year.

Not much to get too hyped about. Wolfenstein, Mordor and AC sequels will probably be alright. Fallout 4 and DOOM's VR versions? Sure. Cuphead, Absolver and Arktika 1 look kinda interesting.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I just picked up Tacoma, which was my 2nd last "must have" of the year (the other being Super Mario Odyssey). After that, I'm fine coasting into 2018 on my backlog.

Oh yeah, and Dishonored 2 DLC too.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Not much to get too hyped about. Wolfenstein, Mordor and AC sequels will probably be alright. Fallout 4 and DOOM's VR versions? Sure. Cuphead, Absolver and Arktika 1 look kinda interesting.
    Whaaaat. TEW 2, Wolf: TNC, and Mordor are some things to get hyped about. Not a total hype-hype frenzy, maybe, but enough to feel slightly warm about AAA big-budget development doing fun and interesting things that aren't completely cookie-cutter RAH RAH RAH genericness.

Hellblade: Gurnlady's Sacrifice is also something I'm looking forward to, as NT has a decent track record with interesting if flawed experiences, and I'm always down for games that have a little more ambition than others.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Oh, and Routine.

I've preordered 2 games this year, so I'm fairly hyped about them: Yakuza Kiwami, and Wolfenstein.

Also Henke, that video that's gone now was for Strafe. How'd that turn out anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Oh, and Routine.
    I rang the devs and ask them to indefinitely delay Routine so I didn't have to buy Vae a copy. Soz.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Whaaaat. TEW 2, Wolf: TNC, and Mordor are some things to get hyped about.
    Didn't like TEW1. The other two were fun surprises back then, but I bet the sequels are just going to be more of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeshibu View Post
    Also Henke, that video that's gone now was for Strafe. How'd that turn out anyway?
    Oooooh yeah. It turned out alright. It's had several patches since I last played it so I really should give it another go. Played it for 13 hours back then but never beat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    Gonna pre-order:

Prey
    Mass Effect: Andromeda
    Prey was 5/5, one of my top-10 games of all time. Never did pre-order ME:A, I doubt I'll ever play it tbh.

Already own and not sure I care anymore:

Torment: Tides Of Mah Na Mah Na
    Oh yeah, this came out. My total apathy made me forget, apparently.

$10 Steam Sale Pile:

Cuphead
    Agents Of Mayhem
    Echo
    Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
    Lego City Undercover
    Tacoma
    Routine
    The Bard's Tale IV
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    The Legend Of Heroes: Trails In The Sky The 3rd
    Vampyr
    Kingdom Come: Deliverance
    NieR: Automata
    Pyre
    The Signal From Tolva
    Aaero
    Strafe
    Overload
    Tacoma is already purchased and soon to be played. Cuphead is likely day 1 as well. The rest is still on my 'we'll see if I want to play it' $10 steam pile. Some of these might not even come out this year (Echo, Overload, DS2, Routine, Bard's Tale IV).
    Last edited by Jason Moyer; 2nd Aug 2017 at 16:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    TEW 2
    What in the world is that an acronym for?

Quote Originally Posted by Zerker View Post
    What in the world is that an acronym for?
    The Evil Within 2, I guess.

verbose douchebag
    The Evil Within I'm guessing.

[EDIT]Ninja'd.

Level 10,000 achieved

A new MX vs ATV game where the focus is on driving around huge open world areas? Yes. Yes, please.

Although I gotta say that I did not really care for the latest game in the series, MX vs ATV Supercross. Mostly it just made me super cross. Reflex was the series high-point, but here's hoping that they can get this ship back on course.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I think this thread was created before Odyssey was announced, but this is the only game I'm really interested in before the end of 2017. It looks huge, and really, really weird.

Moderator and Priest
    I was just about to post this. Odyssey looks like it's going to be pointlessly, ridiculously, awesomely fun.

It looks ok, I guess, if you like fun.

Chakat sex pillow
    Fun is over-rated. Give me death, political racketeering, waterboarding, the slow helplessness of people watching love fade into ambivalence, give me plagues sweeping towns and doorways that bulge with the invisible dead clamouring to get out, give me a city with a hundred million sardonic people following their banal subroutines to mow down in a car whilst their disembodied voices hang in the air, their scripts not terminating until each line is said, voiced like ghosts that don't know they're gone.

Give me a game that doesn't give a fuck.

Oh, also, Echo is out next week. That one looks interesting.

Moderator and Priest
    Didn't you chicken out on Dark Souls, Sulp?

Chakat sex pillow
    You can't chicken out of something you're living, scrub.

Chakat sex pillow
    (FYI, I'm joking. Just in case.)