TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

So there are rumors going around that this is actually being developed by Eidos Montreal, not Crystal Dynamics? Though wikipedia lists EM as devs on the first two TR reboot games, I'm not really sure what that's about or what their contributions were since the pages for those games don't mention EM at all. So perhaps they're just assisting in the same capacity they did with the first two, since that capacity is entirely unclear? But anyway, would be interesting to see what EM can do outside of LGS-related IPs.

Said rumor comes from a photo taken on a Montreal subway: http://www.gamenguide.com/articles/6...-in-subway.htm

I'm already looking forward to climbing around on huge Lara Crofts before sticking a sword in their weak points and feeling bad about it afterwards.

lol

Mystery somewhat solved, EM developed the multiplayer for the first 2 games in the series: https://community.eidosmontreal.com/...iving-Together

I didn't even know there was multiplayer! So I guess this means the next one could be exactly the same on the dev front.

It's a collaboration apparently. I've heard that the EM Thief team are assisting with removing the jump feature (missing reference).

Seriously however, good news about getting another TR game. RotTR was an improvement on the reboot but hopefully they continue to reduce a lot of the GI Joe encounters this time round.

Thing What Kicks
    Now they just need a better voice actor for Lara, one who sounds like she actually knows what she's talking about.
    And the supporting cast. Seriously, if it's based in another faraway country populated by generic North American accents, I'll be officially annoyed.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    It's a collaboration apparently. I've heard that the EM Thief team are assisting with removing the jump feature (missing reference).

Seriously however, good news about getting another TR game. RotTR was an improvement on the reboot but hopefully they continue to reduce a lot of the GI Joe encounters this time round.
    You know, I wouldn't mind seeing Lara swoop her way around a tomb. (Possible achievement for covering enough surface: A Sweeping Victory.)

RotTR was all right, but like TRTRTR2013, it was an aggressively competent game that was more third person run and gun than third person platformer, and seemed to be missing some sort of vital spark to set it alight. There's a core conflict between the game's systems, where the shooting and the hunting and the skill unlocks are at odds with its themes of religious orders, seeking justice for the dead, looking for closure, being a good person etc. etc.

Which is not to imply it's 'good but bad', I enjoyed my time with it, and I don't think CD has ever made a bad game; it's just that its constituent parts are all glued together in a way that makes the seams more apparent than they normally are. Here's hoping they just ditch the weird story stuff for the next part if they can't make it work, and keep it simple.

I feel like I just repeat the same tired lines every time the conversation turns towards Tomb Raider games, but I'll say again that I wish they'd tone down on the murder simulator and dial the actual tomb-raiding back up.

Both of the new Tomb Raider games were good games, with the second fixing a lot of the issues with the first, but they are still far too focused on combat and murder rather than the platforming and exploring that the series is supposed to be about, and both still have this huge story/gameplay disconnect between Lara as a realistic and relateable character and her being a mass-murdering neigh-invulnerable psychopathic goddess of death.

Honestly, I haven't played the first two yet. I've had many people tell me they're surprisingly good, but the above commentary has put me off from pulling the trigger (heh heh)

Tomb Raider has always been a murder simulator though. Back when the first one was released, everyone joked about the excessive murder of wildlife - and then it only got worse when, in Tomb Raider 2, if you weren't swimming around harpooning sharks you were running through the streets of Venice getting into gun fights with dudes. It's action adventure, through and through.

The original game has almost no human enemies, at least (and the remake has basically none outside of cutscenes.)

They also didn't try to be realistic and didn't really try to set up Lara as a likeable character, either.

When you have tits like that, you don't really need a likeable personality

It's just hard to get close to someone with huge traffic cones glued to your chest.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Shit just got real. Tomb Raider is back to dance on Unsharted's corpse!

https://twitter.com/tombraider/statu...15473478615040

Unsharted, so clever.

I always thought it was kind of a weird attempt at an insult. It literally means that it's not shitty. Okay?

Moderator and Priest
    It's unsharted, which could mean it's still on deck, biding its time until it becomes sharted.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Ah, yes, makes sense now, because shit just got real. I get it, that's really pure genius.

Moderator and Priest
    A shart is only ever a theory until it becomes reality.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I originally thought the above tweet was worded kind of strange, but then I read somewhere that if you take the first letter of each sentence, it spells....well I'll let you do it.