TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Thread: Trump is killin' it.

The news this week was that May was going to see that Brexit is triggered even if Parlaiment votes against her plan (the hard Brexit option, just a cold cut), even though some court case seemed to confirm it was non-binding which my Brit lawyer friend explained to me, but it's confusing and there are still loopholes for both sides. Point is that it's setting up for a constitutional crisis if two factions really push opposing claims.

She might put a vote to the commons on the final deal, but I think it'll be more along the lines of "do we take the deal I've made with Europe, or do we just quit with NO DEAL???"

There will probably be a vote first on triggering Article 50 (the leaving process) but I imagine MPs will pass it as if it's blocked it won't go down very well as that would be denying the result of the referendum.

I'd love it if there were some way to stay, but I don't see it. I think the anger that already motivated a majority to vote for Brexit would only increase if "the establishment" were seen to prevent it.

The only chink of hope may be, as the process wears on, enough negative stories/circumstances emerge that really make huge numbers of people reconsider. Then there could be a general election which might in effect be a "second referendum", voting in a party or coalition that opposes Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    The one great hope I am clinging to about Trump (and Brexit) are that those who voted for him/it are the ones who suffer the most as a consequence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Oh, they will. Right alongside everyone else.

Though from what I've been reading about Brexit, there's still a chance the UK could avoid it, and choose to stay, right?
    Sorry to disappoint you guys...

1) Trump will have a pragmatically successful first term...despite any ideological resistance from the left.

2) Brexit will be realized.

That is all for now.

Make sure to make a note of this for future reference.

This is just hilarious. Foxnews channel, right now. They have the live view of Washington DC up, and they are putting the fucking trails up on live tv. Im out. Forget this. Good luck to whatever it is thats going on here. You can watch for yourself right now live on Foxnews. Notcie the long white lines across the sky? Notice also how they linger there indefinetely and will spread out at some point. In fact, from my own experience, every "cloud" you see in that sky is made from contrails. Even the red and yellow background graphic Fox is using has a contrail lololol

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fingernail View Post
    I'd love it if there were some way to stay, but I don't see it. I think the anger that already motivated a majority to vote for Brexit would only increase if "the establishment" were seen to prevent it.
    Therein lies the rub, it seems. The only choices you all have is to accept at least 5 years of recession and economic uncertainty while you realign your interests to appease your constituency, or risk pissing them off, negating their vote to stick with the safe status quo.

You're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I'm beginning to think democracy may have been a good idea while the people could be managed through one-way-media gatekeepers and elected representatives. Maybe we relied on these means too much as the world got increasingly complicated and impossible to explain to the average voter. Then the internet came along and evaporated all that media influence. And now we see the stupid ugly face of actual people voting on stuff they do not even begin to comprehend as if it was some minor tribal war. I've lived in a country without democracy and it was shit, because stupid liars were in power. But if democracy also puts stupid liars into power, what gives? Please excuse my wavering faith, but this inauguration is really putting things into terrifying perspective. And they're playing the Stones as if.

Goldmoon for your own sake if nothing else, shut up about contrails. You are a dog barking at a hoover.

Moderator and Priest
    It seems to me that every third generation has to go through a bout of political pain and strife before they start taking the process seriously again. The fact that every democracy provides the government people deserve is something that has to be rubbed in our faces every once in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmoon Dawn View Post
    This is just hilarious. Foxnews channel, right now. They have the live view of Washington DC up, and they are putting the fucking trails up on live tv. Im out. Forget this. Good luck to whatever it is thats going on here. You can watch for yourself right now live on Foxnews. Notcie the long white lines across the sky? Notice also how they linger there indefinetely and will spread out at some point. In fact, from my own experience, every "cloud" you see in that sky is made from contrails. Even the red and yellow background graphic Fox is using has a contrail lololol
    The next time you purport to be the rational voice in the room, I'm going to point to this thread.

Chakat sex pillow
    Actually, we need that quote framed and displayed in TTLG's hall of fame, along with such classics as 'go on the roof u sayin german', and every other post from that thread about a virgin.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
    You are a dog barking at a hoover.
    Or, as an American would say, "You are a dog barking at an hoover." What's up with that? "AN historical moment"?

WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU

Speaking of Brexit, my view is (as u sayin german) "you don't eat it as hot as you cook it". The British economy will have to adapt, of course, and it will cause some pain. Just how much pain is the issue. Maybe the financial district in London will have to shed a few k's of jobs, as they get relocated to Frankfurt*. But outside of that, I think it would be good for Britain as a whole if they relied a little less on the financial industry and a little more on jobs that actually produce stuff (and maybe tend to be located outside of London). The bankers won't like that, but honestly, fuck'em.

Another thing is that Britain leaving the common market will hurt Europe, as well. Open access to 65 million wealthy neighbours is nothing to sneeze at, and it will give the Brits some bargaining power to soften the Brexit.

*Living near, though thankfully not in Frankfurt, I'm not too happy about this, as this will add pressure to the housing prices, which have already been climbing at double-digit rates in the last couple of years in my area. Why, oh why didn't you just all vote Remain?