TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Visible Upgrade: Unofficial patch for Deus Ex 2

Sneaky Upgrader
    Hmm... I wonder if it could be due to very high frame rates? Is it less prominent if you set a very high resolution and add a lot of processing in the graphics driver settings?

I assume you don't have anything running that could starve the game of CPU? Maybe it's worth a try using Task Manager to set the priority for the DeusEx2.exe process to "high".

Also, try if using dgVoodoo makes a difference.

Aha. Yes the first suggestion was correct. I turned on a frame-counter and it was showing anything up to thousands of fps in the menus and hundreds in the game. I capped it to 60fps as I have a 60Hz monitor anyway and that seems to have eliminated the issue.

I'm glad it was something so simple. Many thanks.

Sneaky Upgrader
    You're welcome. Porting the frame rate limiter from Thief 3 should be fairly easy (and it's been requested before). Can you test a beta version if I get it out sometime tomorrow?

Yes of course. No problem.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Turns out it's already implemented - but not exposed in the tweak tool. If you don't mind, disable your current fix, go to Start Menu > Deus Ex 2 Visible Upgrade > Options, open VisibleOptions.ini and set MaxFrameRate=90. (That value works for Thief 3.) Then see if this also fixes the issue.

What I thought I had used to limit my frame rate wasn't what limited my frame rate so I don't know if my results are accurate.

I set a frame rate of 60 with Riva tuner, but when I disabled that profile to test your solution it was still showing 60FPS. It seems that earlier as well I had also enabled G-Sync for both full screen + windowed because I noticed that the setting was set to full screen only.

Even though I'm playing only in full screen, with G-Sync set for full screen only, I get frame rates of thousands, but with set to Fullscreen + windowed it limits the frame rate to 60, which is a bit odd. I don't understand why this is.

I set G-sync to fullscreen so that it would then unlock the frames and I edited the INI file to force 90FPS and that was successful as well.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Thanks - I'll make sure to expose that setting in the next version.

What you noticed is not so weird: Windows 10 forces these old games to run in a pseudo fullscreen mode, which is (if I got it right) actually a triple-buffered borderless windowed mode. Triple buffering removes tearing but vsync is broken, so the frame rate is not locked to the refresh rate, as it would be in proper fullscreen. Hence the out-of-control frame rates.

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    What you noticed is not so weird: Windows 10 forces these old games to run in a pseudo fullscreen mode, which is (if I got it right) actually a triple-buffered borderless windowed mode. Triple buffering removes tearing but vsync is broken, so the frame rate is not locked to the refresh rate, as it would be in proper fullscreen. Hence the out-of-control frame rates.
    Yes.
    In old DDRAW (DX5,6,7) games MS locked the framerate to the refresh rate too.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456