TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: The Long Dark

Level 10,000 achieved

The Long Dark

6 hours into this now. My first game ended with me stumbling around and freezing to death before my first in-game day had ended. Having better luck on my second game. I've currently survived for 9 days, traveled quite far, and found good warm clothing and tools, but no weapons.

Pictures from my travels so far.

Started off at Mystery Lake and had a wolf take a bite out of me on the second day, but after a bit off effective knife-flailing it ran away.

This is from the second area, which is pretty, but extremely linear. Seems the game has bigger, open areas connected by these smaller linear sections.

Camping in a cave along the train tracks.

Reached the coast! I'd been very nomadic up until this point, but here I slowed down a bit. I searched through a lot of houses. I read a couple books about surviving in the wild and ice fishing. Mended my clothes with scavenged materials.

But best of all were these ice fishing cabins. They all have stoves, so you can stay warm, and holes for fishing in. You could pretty much just live in one of these. You'd still need to make occasional trips out for firewood of course. And that's a problem, because, as I found out, if you hang out in a place for too long, the wolves start showing up. So I moved on.

This was the last place I stayed in on the coast, before moving on. Haven't found anywhere nearly as cozy since, and now I kinda miss it.

After that I came to a place with a lot of burned down houses. I slept in caves and fought off wolves at night. During my last session I found an entrance to a mine, which I'm currently exploring. The wealth of food on the coast kinda spoiled me. I probably didn't pack as much as I should've, and now my supplies are running low. Need to keep moving and hope for the best.

So yes, I'm enjoying this a lot. It's a good game, and I think once the story mode is in, it might be a downright great game.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Wow, looks like the game has come a long way since I played it in Early Access, think I may have to reinstall and check it out. So, can you go back to old areas and re-scavenge and find replenished resources, or is it the kind of thing where you're always moving forward into new areas?

Got this for my secret santa and really enjoying it, had some crazy, by the skin of my teeth kinda survival moments. You can go back and forth between areas so you can set up supply drops around the various cabins and such, as you can only carry so much.

I played this a last year for a while, and I thought it was great then. But back in those days wolves were a constant and terrrible threat. Have they made it easier as far as wolves go?

Seems so I have only died from wolves a couple of times.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'm 15 days in, been attacked by wolves twice, though I managed to fight them off both times. Playing on Voyager difficulty(Medium).

Seems I've reached the end of the road in Desolation Point. No way to get to the other side of this broken bridge. The game tells me I'm only at 33% World Explored though, and checking online I see there's still a few big areas I haven't seen: Pleasant Valley, Forlorn Muskeg and Timberwolf Mountain.

Exploring a spooky ship.

Warehouse near the end of Desolation Point. I just love how this game looks.

Guess I'll have to start backtracking if I'm gonna see the remaining areas. Though, after 9 hours I'm also starting to feel like I've had my fill of this game for now. Might wait for the full release before seeing the rest of it.

I felt the same way after playing it a number of times -- mostly due to how much I like the game and want to play it in its finished state -- although after seeing your screenshots it's probably time to make another foray into its bleak world as it looks as though they've added in quite a lot of extra things now.

verbose douchebag
    Haven't played for about 2 years. I remember the salty crackers being way OP, have they fixed that?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Heh. Yeah, I think that's been fixed.

Looking forward to the Story mode, you can see some things that are already in place, like the corpses and such. As henke said, good game as a survival sim, but after a bit of play time it does get somewhat samey. I can see the story mode really giving it a narrative impetus.

I'm very curious about this one, but I think I'll wait until there's a story mode; I tend to like this sort of gameplay mechanism, but I'm not the kind of gamer who is happy to create his own stories. Narrative provides me with a sense of direction, even if it's a relatively loose narrative.

When I last played this, the thrill of surviving and exploring new places provided enough of an impetus to continue in spite of there being no story. From reading the official forum it seems that people who survive long enough tend to get comfortable and can survive indefinitely, but I found the game relentlessly demanding, to the point where I stopped playing because it was too stressful (especially with the wolves).

That was a long time ago, and I think I'm ready to try again. I've never seen a game that captures the Canadian wilderness so perfectly, the beauty and desolation of it. And the cold feels real.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Looks good man. Out of Early Access day after tomorrow probably.
    N.B. There's an episodic story-driven campaign AND a sandbox survival mode.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Looks good!

I think I might wait a bit before playing this though, would feel more appropriate to play it in wintertime.

I like to play wintry games in summer, because then you get to reminisce about the times when the snow crunched beneath your feet and your breath condensed in front of your face.

And then in winter I just play Tropico because HOLY CRAP I'M FREEZING MY BALLS OFF AND I CAN'T WAIT TO FEEL THE HEAT OF THE SUN AGAIN

Level 10,000 achieved
    I played TLD last winter and I think the chill in the air helped me immerse myself more in the game.

It's cold here now so definitely a good time for it. Been waiting for this for a long time now. After losing my ~50 day+ Save game to the last major update I shelved it in wait for this release.

I am about to start episode one, but have heard reports the story mode doesnt quite live up to the promise of the sandbox. We shall see.