TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: How long will Trump be President?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Term (4 Years)

19 19.19%
  • 2 Terms (8 Years)

27 27.27%
  • 1st Term Impeachment/Assassination

43 43.43%
  • 2nd Term Impeachment/Assassination

0 0%
  • I don't know what's going on!

10 10.10%

Thread: ✮✮✮ !Trump Dump! ✮✮✮

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Also, I'm pretty Bill Clinton
    You do yourself down, sexy.

Moderator and Priest
    I'm more like Jimmy Carter, but with swurv.

Oh gee! Trump lied. That's new.

Or DID he?

Tony, Vae, Goldmoon, krush et al. Still no comment on Trump's Cabinet Stroke Fest? I have asked for your reactions several times but you seem more keen to avoid the embarrassingly obvious and attack people here for their gullibility. So back to the topic of this thread, Herr Drumph.

Do you approve of the NK Style ego massage Trump got? Is this presidential enough for you? Did your skin not crawl and your eyes not roll to hear grown men fawn and to see Trump's giddy, toddler like grinning?

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...abinet-meeting

If you interpret Trump's original tweet as saying, "Comey had better hope it doesn't come out that HE (Comey) has tapes of our meetings in the Oval Office," then it makes more sense and he didn't lie. In other words Trump was saying "Since I just fired you and we're going through your office drawers right now, you better hope we don't find any tapes in there."

Still no comment on Trump's Cabinet Stroke Fest?
    I haven't watched it but it does sound a little weird based on what I heard. I don't really care since I'm more about the policies than Trump's quirks of personality. Having someone in the WH who is overall pro-American, likes Americans and understands Americans is important too (a great change from the last 8 years).

Quote Originally Posted by Krush View Post
    In other words Trump was saying "Since I just fired you and we're going through your office drawers right now, you better hope we don't find any tapes in there."
    At best that would imply that Trump is either capable of thinking two or more moves ahead or that he's too stupid to construct a cogent sentence. I still think it was clear he was trying to intimidate Comey. But a good bit of spin. You should submit your CV to the WH. I hear they are looking for a new Press Secretary.

The sentence seems pretty cogent to me. Also Trump fired Comey on May 9th and sent that tweet on May 12th. Talk of Comey testifying before Congress started around May 17th, and he was formally asked on May 31st. Since Trump didn't know Comey would be testifying, Trump was trying to intimidate him out of doing...what?

Also even IF Trump was saying he had tapes (which he wasn't), how is that intimidation? If Comey had nothing to hide, he would welcome the public airing of any such tapes.

Trump is fixated on things he wants to hear and oblivious to things he doesn't want to hear. Because he literally can't keep his neuroses to himself, I think it's pretty evident he's talking about Comey assuring him that he wasn't under investigation. Remember the dumb "you're fired" letter where Trump couldn't resist noting THREE times Comey made that assurance to him? The guy is an emotional mess. It's information we already know, so couldn't be a threat to anyone except in Trump's neurotic mind, and he is so trapped in himself he's not going to see how his friendly "hope" that Comey drop the investigation looks like an illegitimate order to anyone looking at the situation objectively.

The sentence seems pretty cogent to me. Also Trump fired Comey on May 9th and sent that tweet on May 12th. Talk of Comey testifying before Congress started around May 17th, and he was formally asked on May 31st. Since Trump didn't know Comey would be testifying, Trump was trying to intimidate him out of doing...what?

Also even IF Trump was saying he had tapes (which he wasn't), how is that intimidation? If Comey had nothing to hide, he would welcome the public airing of any such tapes.
    Really? You can't figure that out? Trump was trying to stop Comey from reporting on how Trump tried to get him to bury the investigation into Flynn, at the very least.

And Comey DID welcome the public airing. He said, under oath, that "lordy" he hoped there WERE tapes.

The point is, Trump is a serial liar. And he lies about the policies you so admire him for.

Moderator and Priest
    Whether Trump meant it to be intimidating or not, the end result looked very much like it. At the very least, he should've chosen his words a little more carefully.

Whatever the reasons, it ended up blowing up in his face. It spurred on Comey to leak his memos to the press in order to cover his own ass, which helped further flame an already red hot burning story, which lead to him having to testify before congress on the matter, and cumulated with Trump now being investigated for obstruction of justice.

Have you ever wondered why career politicians always go to such great lengths to sound as neutral and generic as possible on an issue, always making sure to maintain distance and plausible deniability in all situations? This is why.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 23rd Jun 2017 at 05:47.

@Kolya: Best. Post. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicker View Post

Or DID he?
    As someone who has had to translate Lord Dampnut's word salad, this sentence is far too literate to have come from him.

@Kolya, well they gave, ok not us but you, the Stasi. America is supposed to be immune to that kind of insanity. The fact that the Right in the US keeps flirting with it, or its rhetoric, isn't very reassuring. The Left has been on the high road so far, but I worry if the Right just collapses the Left won't be the one settling in the middle. It might be dragged way left, not even sure how far. But I could be wrong. If Sanders represents the worst of it, that's not bad at all. If some of these kids in schools like Antioch, Middlebury, St. Olaf, Oberlin, et al, are on the cutting edge of the politics of the next generation, or their kids that get even more radicalized than they are, then we might be losing our immunity on both sides of the aisle sooner or later.

That said, we can cross that bridge when we get there. The front-and-center crisis is unquestionably Right-wing rage.

Edit: Nice timing, as I was typing that my playlist started playing Brad Mehldau's "Portrait" album, the Berlin session, which he tells us at the top was recorded in East Berlin, the real part of the city (in 1999 at least).

It spurred on Comey to leak his memos to the press in order to cover his own ass
    Wrong. Comey had already leaked his memos (which may have been completely made up) earlier, because newspapers were quoting from the memos on May 11th. Trump's tweet was May 12th. So yeah not only did Comey start leaking right away as retaliation for his firing, he also lied under oath.

The article makes it clear that the info doesn't come from the memos, though:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/11/u...ey-firing.html

WASHINGTON — Only seven days after Donald J. Trump was sworn in as president, James B. Comey has told associates, the F.B.I. director was summoned to the White House for a one-on-one dinner with the new commander in chief.

The conversation that night in January, Mr. Comey now believes, was a harbinger of his downfall this week as head of the F.B.I., according to two people who have heard his account of the dinner.
    Here's a more in-depth article about the whole thing:

http://thehill.com/policy/national-s...-leaking-memos

Comey also shielded himself from any administrative repercussions by making the disclosures orally, Kohn and others said.

Normally when former officials want to release information, they have to run it past the agency in question in what's known as prepublication review. But oral disclosures are not subject to that process — and Comey was explicit Thursday that he asked Richman to disclose "the content" of the memos, not the memos themselves.

"The New York Times has not viewed a copy of the memo, which is unclassified, but one of Mr. Comey's associates read parts of it to a Times reporter," the paper reported on May 16.
    Last edited by Starker; 23rd Jun 2017 at 09:16.

The New York Times has not viewed a copy of the memo, which is unclassified, but one of Mr. Comey's associates read parts of it to a Times reporter
    Aren't you just splitting hairs here? If one of Comey's associates read the memo to a reporter, how is that not "leaking" the memo?

The point is that this occurred after Lord Dampnut made his statement that "Comey better hope that there are no "tapes" of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!" And there was just this one memo read to a reporter of NYT on May 16th.

Also, this was unclassified information, so calling it a leak is really stretching it.

Also also, these memos weren't "completely made up". They were witnessed at the time he wrote them and have now been handed over to the special prosecutor.
    Last edited by Starker; 23rd Jun 2017 at 10:24.

these memos weren't "completely made up". They were witnessed at the time he wrote them
    Oh they were "witnessed." LOL OK buddy. I could write a memo saying I saw Starker trying to pick up 12 year old girls at junior high schools for sex, then have someone "witness" it.

I don't even understand why Trump recording a conversation with Comey would be illegal or a big deal. The District of Columbia's wiretapping law is "one-party consent," so as long as Trump knew the recording was happening then it's legal.

Comey was Trump's employee, so if he was recording the boss without Trump's knowledge then that seems like a good reason to fire him (although the recording would be LEGAL, it doesn't mean he couldn't be fired for it).

If the tapes even exist, whatever was on them has now come out in Comey's testimony before Congress so the tapes are now irrelevant anyway.

And if you were a police officer, these memos would be considered as evidence in court. Though there is little doubt to the authenticity of the Comey memos, since Lord Dampnut's son, among others, confirmed them, especially the salacious bit where Lord Dampnut asked Comey to let Flynn off the hook.

And the issue is not about whether Lord Dampnut was secretly recording his conversations or not, the issue is that he threatened Comey publicly with them.

A police officer's memos as to interviewing suspects can be considered evidence in court, because the officer is a neutral third-party observer.

A police officer's memos as to his own actions and the actions of someone he dislikes personally (and after being fired by that person) would not be considered evidence in court.

As I said above, Trump was saying that Comey better not have recorded his conversations with trump. Not that Trump recorded Comey.

At the time of writing the memos, Comey had not been fired and had no indication he would be.

In fact, the official reasons for his firing make little sense and it's far more likely to have been related to the Russia investigation, especially as Lord Dampnut himself said that he fired Comey because of Russia and that the firing took the pressure off.

I'm betting that after his firing, Comey could have called up MS Word and made a few changes to the memos. In any case his own personal biases would come into play and could not be considered "court-level" evidence.

Comey was nothing but an employee and could be fired for any reason at all or no reason.

As for the Russia investigation, I find it very reassuring that the Democrats are not bothering with any self-reflection or thinking about why they lost (or why they have lost over 1,000 federal/state seats nationwide since President Fuccboi Cryalot was elected in 2008). I really hope the Dems keep pushing this Russia thing for the next 7.5 years and don't pay much attention to what Trump is doing.

Certainly I hope they don't try to re-think their platform or what they could do to appeal to a wider range of voters.

The director of the FBI is nothing but an employee? In any case, firing the director of the FBI on a whim would be highly unusual, let alone in these suspicious circumstances.

Also, Comey had already filed the memos, so he could not just arbitrarily change them.

Comey was a weasel appointed by Obama and Trump could never have trusted him. The only people "concerned" about this are people who are never going to accept Trump as President anyway.

The Democrats (AND the Republicans) in Congress are simply trying to throw anything and everything at Trump to distract him and make sure he can't get any significant legislation signed. They are basically in a "quiet strike" mode and not sending anything to Trump's desk so that in 2020 Trump won't have any accomplishments to point to.

They've successfully stalled for halfway through 2017. They only have to get to Thanksgiving. After that, Congress will be more focused on family holiday stuff instead of working. Then when they re-convene in January, they will say "whoops, it's an election year! We can't do anything controversial in an election year!" And then it's another year of doing nothing and just hoping for a Democrat president to get back in.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    @Kolya, well they gave, ok not us but you, the Stasi. America is supposed to be immune to that kind of insanity.
    Very few people are immune to radicalization when the (fear of) economical pressure is great enough. While there are some good men with enough integrity to uphold the flag of reason and tolerance against the current, the US as a whole never had that immunity. They had decades of prosperity under relative isolation from the consequences of (often their own) world politics.

This was one of the first things I realized when I came to Western Germany: The people who were most astounded by my childhood stories from a totalitarian country took their freedom for granted. The idea that same things could happen to them seemed impossible. They thought themselves immune. Actually they were just eating fortune's cookie. And exactly these people would have made exemplary SED party officials, Stasi men, NVA soldiers and yes-men, because they couldn't imagine any world outside their own.

Page 206 of 298 FirstFirst ... 106156161166171176181186191196201202203204205206207208209210211216221226231236241246251256 ... LastLast