TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: How long will Trump be President?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Term (4 Years)

17 19.10%
  • 2 Terms (8 Years)

24 26.97%
  • 1st Term Impeachment/Assassination

39 43.82%
  • 2nd Term Impeachment/Assassination

0 0%
  • I don't know what's going on!

9 10.11%
Page 261 of 261 FirstFirst ... 11161211216221226231236241246251256257258259260261
Results 6,501 to 6,521 of 6521

Thread: ✮✮✮ !Trump Dump! ✮✮✮

Perfect!

Excellent reply Namibia, all publicity is good publicity

You mean Nambia. Something tells me Lord Dampnut will still prefer Normay, though. Or Gina.

Irony is of couse, by admitting untold number of migrants 'seeking a better life', EU politicians are de facto admitting that countries in Africa are ****holes.

Unless of course people flee from utopias.

Well no, the contention with what Mr. Trump said isn't whether or not these countries he talks about are shitholes. There isn't a great deal of doubt that they are. Many of these immigrants will agree on that point.

It's that he used the place they came from as a mark against their worthiness to become American citizens. Because they're coming from a shithole country, they must demonstrate some additional merit beyond what is expected of immigrants from non-shithole countries to qualify for the opportunity.

Okay, fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Trance View Post
    Well no, the contention with what Mr. Trump said isn't whether or not these countries he talks about are shitholes. There isn't a great deal of doubt that they are. Many of these immigrants will agree on that point.

It's that he used the place they came from as a mark against their worthiness to become American citizens. Because they're coming from a shithole country, they must demonstrate some additional merit beyond what is expected of immigrants from non-shithole countries to qualify for the opportunity.
    I don't think he was implying that they would need ADDITIONAL merit, just the SAME merit. Probably going to get flamed for saying this, but generally people from these "shithole" countries don't possess the same knowledge and skills as people from first world countries do, especially in the technology department. I mean, just looking at the literacy rates it's not hard to see the difference. Haiti's literacy rate is 61% compared to Norway's 100%. I'm not saying that people from Haiti or whatever country should be excluded from coming into the U.S. but generally they just don't demonstrate the same merit as people from first world countries. Let the hate commence.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Does the phrase "land of opportunity" mean anything to you?

Quote Originally Posted by xStevieNx View Post
    I'm not saying that people from Haiti or whatever country should be excluded from coming into the U.S.
    ^

It's all a matter of perspective.

Based on declining life expectancy, ridiculous income inequality, the highest rate of gun deaths in the developed world, and a raging opioid epidemic one might be tempted to call the US a shithole, if one were so inclined.
    Last edited by N'Al; 18th Jan 2018 at 12:27. Reason: Eh.

Probably going to get flamed for saying this
    Let the hate commence.
    Bit of advice for the future, don't employ passive-aggression in an attempt to shield your views from criticism. You're only going to annoy your audience and make them less receptive.

If technological skills were the only standard by which one's merit was measured, you might have a point. Literacy, both the written and technological variety, are trainable skills, and the opportunity to receive that training is not a universal thing on the shithole side of the world.

If someone is motivated enough to secure transportation for themselves (and/or their family) to start a better life in another country, they are, by and large, motivated enough to learn how to make an honest living in that country. That includes whatever education and training is required. We know this is the case because it's been happening for a century now. They need only the opportunity, and that is what the United States has provided throughout history. It's why it was once known as the Land of Opportunity.

The mode of thinking Trump and his political allies employ regarding immigration is a very old one, that's been around since large-scale immigration was a thing, and it's every bit as ignorant now as it was then. It dismisses the history and promise of America. (Of course, Trump is most likely more focused on the skin color of the people coming in than their technological background; the tech skills thing is just a convenient correlation he can hide behind.)

Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    It's all a matter of perspective.

Based on declining life expectancy, ridiculous income inequality, the highest rate of gun deaths in the developed world, and a raging opioid epidemic one might be tempted to call the US a shithole, if one were so inclined.
    Excellent point. Norwegian->US immigration is at an all-time low, with a few hundred or less coming into the US in any given year recently. The fact of the matter is that coming to live in the US is less appealing for these modern European nations than it used to be, and they feel they'd be better off where they are.

And yet, I personally loved each and every one of my five or so trips to the US (as a tourist, admittedly), and I would gladly move to work there given the chance.

I chose those four indicators deliberately to show a skewed view of the US, but I damn well made sure to form my own opinion as opposed to just believing someone else's.

. . . generally people from these "shithole" countries don't possess the same knowledge and skills as people from first world countries do, especially in the technology department.
    And yet over and over again, I hear comments like this which must at least make people stop and think.

President Trump's comments last week about immigrants from African nations have led to discussion of immigrants from different parts of the world. The Pew Research Center has studied the topic, and it found that black immigrants from Africa, aged 25 or older, are more likely than the U.S. population as a whole, or the wider immigrant population, to have a bachelor's degree or advanced degree.
    And welcome to TTLG. I'm sure everyone will be gentle for a couple of days, at least.

Considering how hard it is to actually to emigrate to the US, it's no surprise they are only getting the high IQ immigrants. In fact a lot of countries bemoan the brain drain.

Moderator and Priest
    MODERATOR DECREE!

All gun talk now goes into the gun thread. Trump talk stays here.

You're so masterful, Renz - I'm positively swooning. I guess I gotta go and post about my gun in the other thread. (Many thanks!)

What I would like to know is who invented Corey Lewandowski and why wasn't he returned to the factory as being sub-standard?

#shitholethread

Moderator and Priest
    Corey Lewandowski is working exactly as intended, par for the course for a Trump campaign member.

Page 261 of 261 FirstFirst ... 11161211216221226231236241246251256257258259260261