TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: How long will Trump be President?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Term (4 Years)

    13 18.57%
  • 2 Terms (8 Years)

    15 21.43%
  • 1st Term Impeachment/Assassination

    35 50.00%
  • 2nd Term Impeachment/Assassination

    0 0%
  • I don't know what's going on!

    7 10.00%
Page 7 of 209 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112172227323742475257107 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 5219

Thread: ✮✮✮ !Trump Dump! ✮✮✮

  1. #151
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2001
    Location: Qantas
    That is my view of where they stand in a global context, as best as I know it.

    For the US, it depends on what part of the country you're in. In the Northeast or West coast, I'll bet most people would say The Economist is centrist, but some people on the left would say it's leaning right and severely criticize their advocacy of international trade deals and international economic institutions. On the other hand, in some parts of the Midwest and South, The Economist would be considered a leftist "socialist" rag.

    Regardless of political persuasion, most people would agree The Economist is pro-globalization. I've heard some people into conspiracy theories say it's a New World Order propaganda outlet. Trump's opposition to free trade agreements and unilateralism are probably what scares them the most.

  2. #152
    Moderator
    Registered: Apr 2003
    Location: Wales
    Thank you for the explanation. I couldn't find much in the short space of time I had about who on the board was what. It's often easier to find.

  3. #153
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    I used to listen to talk radio all day in the 1990s, including Rush and Pacifica radio and a local NPR show called The Connection. That pretty much covered the ends of the spectrum. I liked the diversity of opinion and you would hear news stories on Rush or Pacifica that wouldn't make it through the mainstream filter of traditional news sources. But now the internet gives me all the diversity I want and I don't think I could stand to listen to Rush anymore.
    I still listen to NPR but they aren't as good as they were in the 90's. Once the Republicans took most of their funding they quit trying to give a balanced view and they were very balanced back then. Republicans began not to think so when they began to slide into the grouchy old man shaking his cane at black kids end of the spectrum and everything looked left to them at that point. NPR is still fair but the choice of programs tend to run black, gay,female, foreign, human interest... no wait... black gay foreign female story. There was an interesting story on Trumps 4 bankruptcies today though. Fellow wrote a book on them and how they hurt the businesses he screwed out of payment. Trump threatened to sue him if he didn't make it clear they weren't personal bankrupts and that HE made plenty off his deals. You can't make this shit up. That sums him up crystal clear.

    The Trump attack ad? Lame. It's like what a grade-school boy would do to make fun of someone. It sums him up more than her. I mean, come on, you can't attack on issues? Her barking is all you got? And bare chested Putin is comical in a shirtless old bald guy trying to attract teen girls on facebook kind of way. Tough? Nah. Asshole? Absolutely. We need a thinker to pit against pathetic machismo not another blowhard egomaniac to compare dicks.
    Last edited by Tocky; 17th Mar 2016 at 23:39. Reason: I can't shut up.

  4. #154
    Moderator
    Registered: Jan 2003
    Location: NeoTokyo
    I get it now ... because women are dogs.
    AHAHAHAHHAA o god my sides

  5. #155
    Moderator
    Registered: Jan 2003
    Location: NeoTokyo
    I figured out what Hillary needs to do for the debates. She needs to have a black comedian dressed like a clown standing behind her, and say up front that any insult or remark from Trump that was beneath her would be referred to the clown, and then any time Trump does his insult thing, the clown would shoot back with some really harsh but funny joke at his expense to needle him.

    The model is the Key skit where Key was playing Obama's id. But in this case, the clown isn't speaking for Hillary. She's just deferring to the clown for the petty insults, so he's free to say things she wouldn't because the whole thing is beneath her. Trump says something stupid, then she just points to the clown. Ideally I'd have him die in a fit of exaggerated laughter like "Gahahahah, it's so true because Muslims are subhuman" and the like to really break the system, but I'll take what I can get. (If Trump says something actually worthy of an adult response she'd still respond to that of course.)

  6. #156
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    Homie the clown would do quite nicely.

  7. #157
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2001
    Location: Qantas
    Tocky - NPR has always had a pro-Washington bias. Even when they've been neutral or balanced on the left-right scale, they have always been on the side of the national political and corporate establishment, too cozy with beltway insider sources, and usually taking the federal government's line. Pacifica provided a public radio counter to that bias. They were generally anti-establishment, anti-Washington, angry, and falling off the left. You had to take their reporting with a big grain of salt. But I would hear stories and perspectives from them that you couldn't really get elsewhere in the 1990s. Similarly, Rush was generally anti-establishment, anti-Washington, angry, except on the right. If you could stand to listen through his Clinton-bashing, you would hear about stuff that didn't get reported elsewhere. So NPR, Pacifica, and Rush were like three vertexes of an information triad for me.
    Last edited by heywood; 18th Mar 2016 at 19:37. Reason: Meant to reply to Tocky

  8. #158
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    I figured out what Hillary needs to do for the debates. She needs to have a black comedian dressed like a clown standing behind her, and say up front that any insult or remark from Trump that was beneath her would be referred to the clown, and then any time Trump does his insult thing, the clown would shoot back with some really harsh but funny joke at his expense to needle him.

    The model is the Key skit where Key was playing Obama's id. But in this case, the clown isn't speaking for Hillary. She's just deferring to the clown for the petty insults, so he's free to say things she wouldn't because the whole thing is beneath her. Trump says something stupid, then she just points to the clown. Ideally I'd have him die in a fit of exaggerated laughter like "Gahahahah, it's so true because Muslims are subhuman" and the like to really break the system, but I'll take what I can get. (If Trump says something actually worthy of an adult response she'd still respond to that of course.)
    So you think black people are clowns who have nothing to offer in the political debate but tomfoolery and cheap shenanigans? Racist!

  9. #159
    Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    Homie the clown would do quite nicely.
    Another. It's worse than a Klan meeting in here.

    And that my friends is how you make a libtard cry like a baby.
    Last edited by nobodyinparticular; 18th Mar 2016 at 20:56.

  10. #160
    Moderator
    Registered: Jan 2003
    Location: NeoTokyo
    Speaking of not deserving an adult response..., I'll go against instinct and explain anyway.

    - First rule of politics, no place for emotion. It's always behind bad decisions.

    - The clown suit makes the point Trump's jabs only deserve a clown's response. But it's not necessary either. If the focus groups see the same connection than toss it. Well I wouldn't use the suit anyway because it's a bad idea, but this is why you brainstorm.

    - Your point assumes comedy is an inferior form of political speech and can't be smart, which I disagree with.

    - Besides that, Trump has already brought it to the table. Hillary needs to match kind with kind, and she doesn't have the chops, nor would we want her too, hence the delegation.

    - It should be a comedian because they need to be legit funny and biting. I personally think it should be a black comedian because Trump, I imagine, couldn't handle it, and I imagine it's put in stark relief how much of the country he wants to lead he can't handle. And because that's the brand of comedy that would be the best antidote to Trump, exactly because it wouldn't be subservient or clownish. You have to see the Key & Peele sketch maybe.

    - The whole thing is a thought experiment anyway because it's not like it'd work. The best we can hope for is Hillary gets a staff of good comedy writers to give her the right kind of material to use on him.

    - The only liberal I am is the LibDem type. On that note, my utopia is seeing the Dems split into a perfect LibDem like center party, the far left types go make their own party, and the GOP, I don't know, keeps doing what they're doing now and withers and evaporates away except as a holding pen for the far right fascist types.
    Last edited by demagogue; 18th Mar 2016 at 22:55.

  11. #161
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
    Another. It's worse than a Klan meeting in here.

    And that my friends is how you make a libtard cry like a baby.
    I would explain who Homie the clown is but why bother? You have no friends and when you resort to name calling you have already lost.

  12. #162
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2010
    Location: A Former Orange Grove
    You all lose. Not one of you has the power to change anything that is happening here. Sit back and enjoy the show. I suggest mushrooms for fun, or your choice of pleasure. It is going to be a wild ride.

  13. #163
    You've already been on a wild ride, you just don't realise it yet.



    @Demagogue: This actually already happened a while back and it didn't go down that well.
    Last edited by nobodyinparticular; 19th Mar 2016 at 09:50.

  14. #164
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    You really only have to give republicans a little rope for them to hang themselves don't you? Go to some of the far right sites sometime and read the vitriol they spout when they think they are in the majority. Things like they want the president impeached, put in jail, then raped by big Bubba. They use the same lines taught on talk radio too. Libtards is frequent. Lamestream media. A lot of name calling and hate. My favorite is the Ron White line "you can't fix stupid" which is usually said by someone who can't spell or parse grammar. I used to find it funny but it's sad when folks use lines instead of arguments.

  15. #165
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2010
    Location: A Former Orange Grove
    The left is really no better. See for yourselves. For instance, go to Mother Jones and similar left wing sites and read some of the comments. There is no shortage of leftist/progressive/socialist hatred for the right (or even moderates), including name calling, slander, and outright criminal obstruction of speech. I will say Tocky that I do agree with you that it is sad when people resort to slogans instead of arguing a point - left or right. For the left, their usual retort is either "you are a racist" or "you are a hater", and sometimes both. Please do not claim though that this is a Republican thing only. The ugliness comes from all sides. Cheers!

  16. #166
    verbose douchebag
    Registered: Apr 2002
    Location: Lyon, France
    The problem is people using left / right as a lightning rod for a tendency to agree or disagree with another person. It's fucking exhausting how many people will decide you are one or the other in an debate and then use the collective perception of that term as a ham-fisted way to undermine your ability to think.

  17. #167
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjack View Post
    The left is really no better. See for yourselves. For instance, go to Mother Jones and similar left wing sites and read some of the comments. There is no shortage of leftist/progressive/socialist hatred for the right (or even moderates), including name calling, slander, and outright criminal obstruction of speech. I will say Tocky that I do agree with you that it is sad when people resort to slogans instead of arguing a point - left or right. For the left, their usual retort is either "you are a racist" or "you are a hater", and sometimes both. Please do not claim though that this is a Republican thing only. The ugliness comes from all sides. Cheers!
    I did check it out. Maybe I caught a good day but it was nowhere near the threats of violence and murder I've seen on right sites. There was some "idiot" calling. There was a refusal to acknowledge the others point. I can imagine the automatic "you are a racist" or "you are a hater" being a lazy jab some might well use. Perhaps you are like me, bjack, and don't go to those sites often but it is the anger bordering on insanity that most troubles me. Mostly I see that on the right. Cue Newt saying "mostleeeeeee". I do see the mocking on the left but the right flat out scares me. I believe it to be irresponsibly stirred by right wing media though some could just be the usual redneck bluster. Still, those rednecks have guns.

    I consider myself independent but the right has made me back away from their camp real slow if you know what I mean. The anger is too implacable by reason. I will say that sort of anger whether from the left or right is wrong. Heh. The left demonstrates at Trump rallies and the right beats them for it then blames them. Reminds me of the wife beater who says "honey why you make me beat you?" The far left are asses but damn if the far right don't make them look almost reasonable.

  18. #168
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    Here! This shit is what I'm talking about. Conservatives are batshit crazy!
    https://www.facebook.com/Conservativ...603462/?type=3

  19. #169
    is Best Pony
    Registered: Nov 2002
    Location: The magical land of Equestria
    This is certainly one of the most interesting primary campaign seasons I've followed. If Trump were to get past the hurdles of selection as the GOP's candidate, however, is there really much appetite for him to take the big chair among the populace at large? At the moment our media tends to focus, understandably, on his popularity within the party, but are there any indicators as yet of how his campaign might play in the election proper?

  20. #170
    Moderator
    Registered: Jan 2003
    Location: NeoTokyo
    Not with his current rhetoric. The polls have him trailing Hillary quite a bit. The biggest problem is that he has the potential to tack hard to the left once he has the nomination because on more than a few issues he's not at all conservative. That would be a big monkeywrench I don't even know if statisticians know how to accurately poll for it.

  21. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    I mean, come on, you can't attack on issues? Her barking is all you got? And bare chested Putin is comical in a shirtless old bald guy trying to attract teen girls on facebook kind of way. Tough? Nah. Asshole? Absolutely. We need a thinker to pit against pathetic machismo not another blowhard egomaniac to compare dicks.
    Yeah, the barking...seriously?

    Hillary's taken hundreds of millions of dollars in bribes to influence policy, shipped arms to ISIS, mishandled TS//SCI documents, organized campaigns to shame and abuse rape victims, directed censorship and harassment against whistleblowers, received barely disguised bribes from Goldman Sachs, made student loans non-dischargeable, was heavily involved in de-regulating Wall Street and repealing Glass-Steagal, recorded laughing about getting a pedophile rapist off...and....

    Fuck, I could go on for several times longer than that. She's got a scandal list long enough to make Nixon look like a boy scout.

    And a fucking DOG BARK is what Trump chooses to attack her for?

    Not what I would have done but that's also probably why I would never be a good PR person or ad-man.
    Last edited by Tony_Tarantula; 24th Mar 2016 at 17:40.

  22. #172
    Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    I did check it out. Maybe I caught a good day but it was nowhere near the threats of violence and murder I've seen on right sites. There was some "idiot" calling. There was a refusal to acknowledge the others point. I can imagine the automatic "you are a racist" or "you are a hater" being a lazy jab some might well use. Perhaps you are like me, bjack, and don't go to those sites often but it is the anger bordering on insanity that most troubles me. Mostly I see that on the right. Cue Newt saying "mostleeeeeee". I do see the mocking on the left but the right flat out scares me. I believe it to be irresponsibly stirred by right wing media though some could just be the usual redneck bluster. Still, those rednecks have guns.

    I consider myself independent but the right has made me back away from their camp real slow if you know what I mean. The anger is too implacable by reason. I will say that sort of anger whether from the left or right is wrong. Heh. The left demonstrates at Trump rallies and the right beats them for it then blames them. Reminds me of the wife beater who says "honey why you make me beat you?" The far left are asses but damn if the far right don't make them look almost reasonable.
    Meanwhile, the left actually does it offline: http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/0...os-invitation/


    That is my view of where they stand in a global context, as best as I know it.

    For the US, it depends on what part of the country you're in. In the Northeast or West coast, I'll bet most people would say The Economist is centrist, but some people on the left would say it's leaning right and severely criticize their advocacy of international trade deals and international economic institutions. On the other hand, in some parts of the Midwest and South, The Economist would be considered a leftist "socialist" rag.

    Regardless of political persuasion, most people would agree The Economist is pro-globalization. I've heard some people into conspiracy theories say it's a New World Order propaganda outlet. Trump's opposition to free trade agreements and unilateralism are probably what scares them the most.
    More or less. It's important to understand that the US is a very large area, with distinctly different cultural heritages in each region. There's also a huge economic difference. The MidWest is an industrialized, unionized culture.(and consequently has suffered dramatically from "free trade", hence the overwhelming Trump/Sanders support). Outside of Major Cities the Central and Southern regions are largely rural, agricultural areas and tend to be more driven by the traditional "nuclear family" values that work well in ruralities. Places like Chicago, NYC, California, and to a lesser extent cities like Denver and Atlanta, are culturally similar to places like Brussels and are driven primarily by fields like finance, law, government, and "creative" disciplines. Since they economically benefit from globalism and big government those areas consistently tend to have politics that support Bush and Clinton types.


    Part of the animosity is that the "wall street vs main street" conflict is very real. One of the effects globalization is that the interests of American corporations/high finance, and the interests of working class Americans have diverged much more dramatically than before and that's highlighted in this election.

    If you're an investment banker in New York, Hillary sounds pretty good. She's going to keep Wall Street de-regulated, maintain the surveillance state that keeps brown people from loitering outside your office, not prosecute anything you do, and keep up trade policies that enable you to keep rolling in those juicy, US-China mergers that ensure your bonus is large enough to buy that Rolex you've had your eye on. Trump sounds scary because he is less predictable and might shake all that up.

    If you're a low-income worker in Indianapolis, Trump and Sanders both sound pretty good. You've seen wages stagnant while costs of living rise and your company's executives have their pay increase year over. While you're suffering, you see illegal immigrants getting free college(your kids will come out with 100k in debt and few job prospects)...and oh by the way they just announced that your plant will be undergoing a "restructuring" and operations are being moved to Mexico. At some point it's going to run through your mind that this is only possible because of NAFTA, and that Trump/Sanders(depending on your social issues opinions) is opposed to NAFTA and that there would be more jobs for you if they were in power.
    Last edited by Tony_Tarantula; 24th Mar 2016 at 18:03.

  23. #173
    verbose douchebag
    Registered: Apr 2002
    Location: Lyon, France
    Just out of interest Tony - who would you vote for?

  24. #174
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2003
    Location: The Land of Make Believe
    Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Just out of interest Tony - who would you vote for now that Hitler's dead?

  25. #175
    Moderator
    Registered: Jan 2003
    Location: NeoTokyo
    I have to admit this election keeps reminding me of the Onion Archive article "German Jews Concerned about Hitler's 'Kill All the Jews' Policy", where they're like "Well, I like Mr. Hitler's stances on illegal immigration and steps for rebuilding our battered economy, military, and even German pride, but I'm a little concerned about his view to kill every Jew on the European continent." It's the image I have trying to think rationally about Trumpolitics, which is built on some kind of insanity that wrecks the whole ship. And I'm even the first to hit the Godwin's Law buzzer in most cases.

    Edit: In related news, it looks like Trump has a lock on the sex-crazed Hitler-loving teenage girl robot vote.
    Last edited by demagogue; 25th Mar 2016 at 02:34.

Page 7 of 209 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112172227323742475257107 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •