TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ringed City

The Ringed City

At the close of the Age of Fire, as the world ends and all lands converge upon themselves, a lone adventurer descends into the madness of the earth and uncovers the secrets of the past.
    The Ringed City is said to be at World’s End, as far as one can go…
    The Ringed City, Dark Souls 3’s second and final DLC, will be released on March 28th, 2017!
    Explore a brand new convoluted region, inhabited by new enemies, mysteries and characters. Fight your fight through The Ringed City with new armor, weapons and magic!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igomOLwqsV0

I'm hoping that this DLC helps close out some of the narrative and finishes off the series on a high. With a release date of March 28 there is still a bit of time left for FS to polish off the development and add in the final bells and whistles.

A few concept art and screenshots:

http://imgur.com/a/0bFbz
    http://imgur.com/a/d9RrM

Also, JP GOTY edition box art:

http://i.imgur.com/5fMPubb.jpg
    Last edited by Malleus; 23rd Jan 2017 at 12:18.

Moderator and Priest
    We know it's at least going to expand on the lore, since it obviously takes place within that jacked up city you see just outside the Kiln of the First Flame.

And I think that's cool.

Indeed:
    A traditional city for the Pygmies, called the Ringed City. A portion of the bridge is curved, creating a wall on the inner side. Countless tombstones line the top of the wall made of rock.
    https://scontent.fper2-1.fna.fbcdn.n...30&oe=5918B4F2

Moderator and Priest
    They actually refer to the masses of humanity as pygmies? That means they might actually consider addressing who the Furtive Pygmy actually was then.

Well there does appear to be a smattering of information about the Furtive Pygmy throughout the first game at least:
    The Furtive Pygmy, a Lord often forgotten in the ancient tales, was the owner of the Dark Soul, and is a supposed ancestor of the Chosen Undead. According to Darkstalker Kaathe, The Furtive Pygmy planned to use the Dark Soul and its power to bring about the Age of Dark. This task is then passed on to the Chosen Undead by Kaathe. It is unknown what role, if any, the Furtive Pygmy had during the Age of Fire and the great battle against the Everlasting Dragons. He is not present anywhere in Lordran by the time of the Chosen Undead. After the prologue cinematic the Furtive Pygmy is only spoken and heard of, apparently not to be seen again
    ...The Pilgrims of Dark appear to worship some kind of Dark Lord. However, a number of characters could hold that title, including the Furtive Pygmy or the Chosen Undead if they chose to not link the First Flame.

???

I thought Manus was all but confirmed to be the furtive Pygmy in the first game. He's a primordial human strongly associated with dark and the dark soul, kathe, and the creation of the abyss. The only alternative explanation is that he is an early descendent of the Pygmy. But considering you can fight all the other "Lords" mentioned in the opening cutscene, it would be odd to leave the Pygmy out.
    Last edited by TannisRoot; 25th Jan 2017 at 11:37.

Moderator and Priest
    There is plenty of strong evidence pointing towards such, and Manus was a big player in Dark Souls lore. Like everything story related DS throws your way, it's more assumed than outright stated. There's still plenty of room to jam him in somewhere else.

Or it could've been that Manus built the Ringed City before being overwhelmed by Dark. You never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    There's still plenty of room to jam him in somewhere else.
    Very true. Will be interested in what gets revealed.

For all of the souls games so far I have rarely spent any time searching for explanations of its lore outside of the game until after I have finished the main game. Apart from some of the popular wiki's and fan sites, one of my favourite sources of analysis comes from some of the videos that VaatiVidya has put together. Bucking my usual trend of waiting until I've finished a first playthrough, I came across the following video of his which has some really well thought out ideas on the elements that have been included in the latest teaser material:

Moderator and Priest
    4 minutes of Ringed City gameplay.

There are a couple of things I'd consider spoilers in here, so consider yourselves warned.

Yeah I started watching but turned it off halfway through. What I saw looked good but it seemed unusually spoilorish for a video this early.

On a related note, as it ends the series I wonder if we will see any more of the Primordial Serpents.

Edit: googled frampt and found this from the main game:
    Last edited by twisty; 9th Feb 2017 at 07:08.

Is that the last DLC? Can I wait for the Prepare to Die Once and For All Edition now? I feel like I'm ready for a Souls game this year.

Moderator and Priest
    It is indeed, yes you can, and you damn well better be.

That's great news, my X360 controller can't wait to get smashed on the floor. Tradition is tradition

Moderator and Priest
    Bonus points for me, I've only oh so slightly guffed up a single controller playing a DS game.

...though not for a lack of trying.

One controller per Souls game. If I had PS4 and Bloodborne, I could probably say one controller per year. Still, can't wait to see the final DSIII edition.

Moderator and Priest
    The only reason I didn't break the controller playing Bloodborne was because it was on my friend's PS4. He'd make me buy him a new one, and fuck that noise, I don't wanna.

For some reason, From decided to mix up the control scheme for BB. Instead of hitting square to quaff from yee estus flask, and X to roll, you'll be hitting triangle to restore your health, and circle to roll. I can't count the amount of times muscle memory ended up screwing me over when I first started playing it.

El Shagmeister
    But controllers are expensive...

If you could insure controllers against damages I'm quite certain that DS would be written into the agreement as an exception. I'm on to my third.

Moderator and Priest
    Just do what I do. When I die for the umpteenth hundredth time, I'll just sit here. In my chair. Staring deadeyed at my monitor. Letting the anger and rage flush itself through me. I'll then step away from the computer...

...and punch the first person I come across.

Haven't broken any controllers yet. I have broke lots of noses, though.

Choosing between restraining orders and broken controllers, I'll take the second option. I know, where's the fun in that. Also, X360 gamepads are actually pretty cheap now. I can manage 25 euros per year. Not that I'm planning to stick to that trend, but who knows what From will release in a year or two.

Moderator and Priest
    Bah, you're no fun.

Though seriously, the best thing to do is just walk away when you start getting into that inevitable flustered state. I find that once you die about 10 or more times on a boss, your anger and frustration gets in the way of you playing well, leading to an incestuous downswing that'll guarantee even more deaths, which in turn leads to even more anger and frustration. When you reach that point, it's better to drop the controller, and step off for half an hour.

I almost always find that I end up kicking ass and taking name when I come in fresh after a little break, and it saves me a ton of controllers to boot.

Dark Souls has taught me how to deal with emotional turmoil maturely.

Dark Souls has taught me how to deal with emotional turmoil maturely.
    Heh. I'm reading the book You Died: The Dark Souls Companion. In it they quote someone as saying something like, "Playing Dark Souls has made me a better person," which I scoffed at. But maybe there's something to it.

Maybe I'm being slow and naive, but are some of you, um, not joking when you talk about breaking multiple controllers playing From games? I guess I always thought that was some kind of exaggerated joke about the game, like when people describe it taking 20+ tries to beat a boss or whatever.

I always thought a key to playing Dark Souls was poise (in the real world sense, not the in-game attribute), patience and being thoughtful about how you approached bosses -- being willing to adjust your approach (switch out your armor, weapons, stacks and buffs) if your first attempts aren't showing real promise. And people who couldn't muster those qualities just didn't or couldn't stick with the game long enough to understand and appreciate it.

But... do some people really break their controllers while brute-forcing their way through dozens of attempts on the bosses?

Dark Souls did teach me how to control my gaming rage better. Or rather how to prevent it. It's mostly about lowering my expectations about what I can accomplish in a single gaming session. Died to this boss 10 times? Oh well, I didn't want to progress today anyway. Btw, O&S did take me dozens of tries, with me trying vastly different approaches and tactics.