TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Ringed City

Moderator and Priest
    Yeah, those damn butterfly angel things are absolute pieces of crap. They are not fun in the least.

Moderator and Priest
    And the first boss of the DLC. Holy shit.

I swear, it's like they've jacked the difficulty up to brutal levels just to make you so burnt out on the whole thing, so you won't mind that this is the last one. They're all about grinding your face right in the dirt.

^Yeah, I got to the end of the first half and was already emoting like it was over. Holy shit, a little too early!

Moderator and Priest
    I did the exact same thing.

"...that wasn't so bad. OH FUCK ME NO NO NO!"

And I just beat him. Had to summon Gael, but I beat him.

^Nice! I helped successfully two hosts, but haven't finished it myself yet. My INT/DEX bow char isn't really ideal for this boss. I wonder if this is the guy that Lorian fought. BTW, I took it upon myself to down one of the butterflies, and it seemed liked it just instantly respawned, so for those who get tired of the trial and error of finding the path: Invade! That way you can safely explore the area.

Moderator and Priest
    That's exactly what they do. Until you kill their source, they'll keep respawning over and over and over again.

And that's not too bad an idea. I'm already in the Ringed City, but I haven't come anywhere near to finishing exploring the Dreg Heap yet. Mostly because of those bastard butterflies.

Now I'm in the city, too. I'm having buyers remorse. Completely hollow now. This is not dark souls, this is super mario.

Wait, the source? I found this one weird creature who didn't much fight back, are those the sources? There are some +3 gear in the early parts which leads me to believe this is meant for SL NG+++ characters. The bosses health is the other indicator to that direction.
    Last edited by MorbusG; 28th Mar 2017 at 00:17.

Moderator and Priest
    Yeah, the butterflies have a (usually well hidden) surrogate that you can kill to wipe them out completely. Even better, they don't come back after you hit up a bonfire, so once they're dead, they're dead for good.

Good luck finding them, though.

And yeah, it's just...it's brutal. Fortunately, once you get past that first oh-so-annoying part of the Ringed City, it goes less trial and error. Instead, you're faced with tons of hyper aggressive enemies that hit like mack trucks, and have a bajillion hit points. The whole thing feels like a battle of attrition.

Moderator and Priest
    Gonna spoil something for you all, just to illustrate to you just how vicious this damn place is. Don't worry, I'll blue it out, just in case it makes someone mad.

You all know the Dragonslayer Armor boss? Yeah, he's a regular enemy in this. Just comes running up at you. Beats the fuck out of you, too.

And it's a damn crying shame the expansion is so edge of your seat difficult. Because the city itself? Probably one of the best areas in the entire game as far as layout and design go. There are all kinds of branching paths leading all over the place. There's one point where it's just so wide open, and you explore SO MUCH. It's just that death lurking around every corner kinda puts a damper on the whole affair.

El Shagmeister

Whelp, I'm at the Demon In Pain/Demon From Below fight. I killed the first three angels, but to be honest, I think FROM shot themselves on the foot with the placement of some of the cocoons. Still, having a blast with the DLC! Managed to get to the Demon Prince phase on my 2nd attempt. Even managed to nick a bit of its life before it flamebroiled me with its chaos fire.

Moderator and Priest
    Yeah, I'm finally starting to hit my stride, get strategies down for everything. It's still pretty brutal, especially when you consider that, save for a handful of easier monsters, most enemies take at least 7-8 hits to kill, but I'm starting to like it a lot more.

By the way, Duck, I've killed two of the three angels, but can't find the surrogate for the one that's floating over the poison swamp. Wanna give me a hint where it's at?

Oh man, the city is quite nice, and I'm loving the amount of new items. The dagger you find early on is just a perfect fit for my character, and it looks sooo damn cool!

I'm now at a point where there seems to be 2 options: 1) Kalameet 2.0 and 2) some lady boss maybe?

But instead I went back to the earlier areas and found even more new stuff. Awesome!

Woke up with a massive migraine from playing all night, though. It seems I passed out with my clothes still on at some point.

Renzatic: At the back of the swamp, where you come at the end of the tunnel where the pyro comes, instead of going in, turn right and over the rooftops to a tree branch. On my world, there are plenty of messages there saying: "Time for revenge". Hehe.
    Last edited by MorbusG; 28th Mar 2017 at 13:30.

El Shagmeister

What Morbus said. Sweet revenge indeed!

Also, just defeated the Demon Prince. All in all, an exciting and challenging fight, but never once felt unfair. Mind you, I had the Demon In Pain variant, which is supposed to be relatively easier, compared to the other, for its second phase.

Man, I need to revisit Dark Souls sometime later this year just so I can fight O & S, but this time kill O first.

<3

Awesome times!

Meanwhile, I'm going to backtrack to the second bonfire and take my sweet time exploring the areas, since first I was just dashing madly trying to find the angel cocoons and accidentally stumbled upon the first boss. Woo woo!

Moderator and Priest
    If there's one thing I hate about the Demon Prince, it's that one spell he casts that, if you're not in the right place at the right time, is instant, unavoidable death.

It took me 5 tries to kill him, and each time, save for that last, he killed me with that one spell.

Also, thanks Morbus! I'm gonna go get my sweet revenge too!

Oh great. Old monk returns with a gank. Point down gestures incoming. Sadness ensuing.

Did you ever get the feeling "This is impossible" on the Kalameet fight in DS1? I know I did. That feeling came back to me vividly.
    Last edited by MorbusG; 29th Mar 2017 at 11:25.

El Shagmeister
    Renz - Which spell is that, d00d?

Moderator and Priest
    You know the one where he lights up the sky, looks like he's building up to something big, then all of a sudden a few dozen giant glowing meteors are flying at you? That one.

Sooo, looking at the series as a whole (well, I haven't played the second game, so I guess not so whole), it would seem to me that to go hollow is to turn into a tree. Not just humans, but dragons and "gods" and even angels. I started to look around places with this in mind, and it seems pretty clear right there in the Great Wall of Lothric. But also the Four Kings who have a fragment of a Lord Soul.

I wonder what the Great Hollow has been, then, hmm?

I've thought that the whole place is an afterlife limbo, separate from the world of the living.

El Shagmeister
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    You know the one where he lights up the sky, looks like he's building up to something big, then all of a sudden a few dozen giant glowing meteors are flying at you? That one.
    Ah, yes. That one.

To be fair, it didn't one-shot kill me, but it does hurt BAD, and it is hard to avoid.

Pro Tip: ALWAYS kill the Demon In Pain first.

Morbus - Now there's an interesting theory Every tree is a departed soul! I mean...the ancient world of the everlasting dragons was full of great arch trees. Hmmmm...

El Shagmeister
    So I've been doing some exploring as a summoned ghost and I gotta say, place is -packed-.

This may hurt a bit.

BRING IT!

ieiei i am your butterfly....

Damn. Haven't had a chance to play any more than 30 minutes or so due to work but what I've played so far is a definite step up in challenge from Ariendal. Not too difficult so far but need to keep moving in a BB sort of way otherwise your ass gets smoked. Died a couple of cheap deaths by those things that spawn out of the ground; there didn't appear to be any hint that they were there from what I could tell. Just reached an NPC who lost his memory and died a cheap death from one of those things falling on top of my head. Back to it again tomorrow...

For the second bossfight I got an AFK spear of the church. gg no re. I stayed there for some co-op after that and got reminded how utter shit DS3 pvp is. And the co-op too, for that matter. I don't know how well this idea worked in Demon's Souls, it was a trolling hotspot too I imagine, but this is pure garbage here.

The rest of the DLC had fun stuff. I like most of the new enemies even though there are way too many of them in some parts. The area itself isn't bad either. Still got two bosses left and some exploration to do though.

Moderator and Priest
    I'm at the last boss now, who isn't all that tough, minus the fact he has an absolute truckload of HP.

On top of that, I found what was probably the entrance to the optional boss, though, for reasons unknown, I can't walk through the fog gate yet.

^Malleus: What do you mean? I've been there for a couple of days now and I've seen very little trolling (SL 118, NG). One problem though is the same as in High Wall of Lothric, where people leave summon signs before Vordt and some hosts insist on taking them to the Dancer.

You mean you haven't come across Spears that abuse the poise they get or carry healing spells and are practically unkillable? In Demons's Souls invaders could stack up on grass and make the fight a pain in the ass, it's the same here. It's so random... you can get a Spear that can be fought and killed reasonably, or one that basically one shots phantoms one by one with heavy weapons, or as I said, runs away and heals with unfaltering prayer. I did a dozen or so co-op fights there and it was mostly annoying as hell.