TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast

Thread: New T2 FM: Behind Closed Doors (6th Feb 2017)

Thank you, I know what the number is, but Icannot reach it , not too good at maths....
    Thanks anyway, maybe someone may pm me with the sequence......

Try this: Ring "9" three times, "-5" two times, and "7" one time. In any order.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    The tower key in the sewers is in the room with waterfalls pouring through a grate on the wall - it's in a lit spot to the left of the ladder in that room.

To get into the sewers: Have you visited the church yet?
    I have been to the church, read the note about the key being swept into the sewers, and have scoured the sewer area (circular structure with waterfalls) for over 30 minutes, yet I still cannot find that damned key!! I swear I've been over just about every square inch of that sewer (on the platforms as well) and no key! Is my FM glitched, maybe??

The key can be very hard to find. I needed to read about its precise location two times before I finally found it.

Enter the sewers via the Hammerite crypt in the church. Search for a room where some kind of artificial waterfall, made from some pipes and/or grates (I don't remember it exactly) pours down from a wall, and where a ladder leads up onto some platform or ledge. Place yourself at the bottom of the ladder and look into the ladder's direction. Turn left, kneel down and crawl to the left. Somewhere at the base of te platform, there should be a glowing spot. Check out the surroundings of that spot very carefully. The key should be there.

Congratulations on the release Nick and thanks for a great mission

Quote Originally Posted by baeuchlein View Post
    The key can be very hard to find. I needed to read about its precise location two times before I finally found it.

Enter the sewers via the Hammerite crypt in the church. Search for a room where some kind of artificial waterfall, made from some pipes and/or grates (I don't remember it exactly) pours down from a wall, and where a ladder leads up onto some platform or ledge. Place yourself at the bottom of the ladder and look into the ladder's direction. Turn left, kneel down and crawl to the left. Somewhere at the base of te platform, there should be a glowing spot. Check out the surroundings of that spot very carefully. The key should be there.
    Okay, I don't think I entered the sewers via the crypt in the church; I've been searching for this key so long that I've forgotten how I got down to that part of the sewers, only that it was kind of a rollercoaster ride . But thanks so much for adding the details; I'll try looking again but am wondering if maybe I skipped an important part of the mission that would make the key visible as I'm definitely not seeing any 'glowing spots'. I've read in this thread that certain things aren't available (don't highlight) until you've reached a certain point of the mission. Thanks again, baeuchlein!

Dia: the waterfall in the canal is not the same as the sewer where the key is. The location of the key is spatially accurate if it was dropped down Lord Davenish's toilet and went with the water flow - it would join the canal and flow to the end where there's a grate - then the key fell through the grate, and can be found in the sewer room with the same grate visible on the other side - underneath the square with the inn in it.

Getting into the main sewer area is a whole other challenge however - you must access it from the church crypt before you can get in and out via the manhole covers.

Apologies for the sewer confusion! Hope you're enjoying the mission otherwise.

Okay, thanks nicked. I was driving myself bugnuts looking for that key!! Though I'm stuck right now anyhow because I don't see any way to proceed from the 2nd area to the next (past the electrified fences atop the bank and building across from the bank). I think I may have skipped over something obvious (like solving the problems of two locked doors with haunt sounds coming from them and the locked gate in the pump room loft). I'll carry on though, because I am enjoying this FM tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post
    I'm stuck right now anyhow because I don't see any way to proceed from the 2nd area to the next (past the electrified fences atop the bank and building across from the bank).
    The way to solving that puzzle is hard to find. To get you started, you should have a look at a drainpipe to the left of a city gate leading back to the city part with the "fox cart".

Thanks again, baeuchlein; I've already used the drainpipe to get into the old lady's apartments and found the two locked doors with the haunt sounds coming from within, turned off the electricity to the gold statue though the device on top of that tower is still active as is the device across from the bank, found the bronze mask in the church and put it on the face on one of the tombs under the church and explored the sewers. Now I'm looking for the valve wheel that raises the bridge in the sewers. I read earlier in this thread that it's in 'another part of the sewers and you can only get there by the street', but I've been running around all the streets and have already been down all the sewer hatches. I take it that in order to progress to the next area guarded by the rooftop electric fences that I'm going to have to use that drawbridge though I still need the valve wheel first? Though I'm still enjoying this FM, it's gotten a little complicated!

==============================================================================================

EDIT: Nevermind. I finally made it to the next area. Thanks for the help and hints, though!
    Last edited by Dia; 1st Jul 2017 at 13:28.

Sorry for the double post, but I think my FM is glitched. I put the wax key mold on the receptacle block and frobbed the left lever as directed (the molten metal pours correctly), but I've been waiting for over 5 minutes for the right lever to become frobbable and nothing's happening. I'm not seeing the key glowing in the mold, either. Am I missing something, please?

Dia, that looks like something in the mission went wrong. The sequence I wrote down in my notes is as follows: I used the wax with the key impression on the middle part of the machine, and the wax mold appeared on the machine. (I did not just drop the mold onto the machine!) Then I used the left lever, and finally the right lever. After that, I could pick up the self-made key, and proceed to do more mischief.

If you did the same and still could not move the right lever, then something is wrong. I wrote down in my notes that some players reported problems here; turned out they had an older version of the gen.osm file in the Thief 2 folder.

Check out this thread; there is a download available in the "How do I get the game ready to play FMs?" section, just past the bold "Thief 2:" at the beginning of a paragraph. If the gen.osm of this download differs from the gen.osm in your Thief 2 folder, then you should replace the one in your folder with the one just downloaded. Unfortunately, you will then be forced to replay the mission - you cannot continue with old saved games in that case.

If both gen.osm files are identical, however, there's something else amiss.

Another best of all time

So many wonderful, incredible fan missions have been released in the last little while that I have completely run out of superlatives.
    Let me say then, simply, that this mission resides at the apex along with a very, very select group of missions that I think of as the best I have ever played.

What I particularly liked:
    The architecture was beautiful, detailed, realistic, and ingenious.
    The pathways to be followed were many times not obvious. That is, you could see that you must be able to get "there," but you have to search for the correct path by climbing upward and all around--which, by the way, is my absolute favorite thing to do in Thief.
    Many, many brilliant puzzles which are thought provoking, but not so obscure that you can't figure them out with a little thought.
    Above all: the mind-blowing complexity of successfully keeping all of the elements of the mission fluid and in balance, making for a most enjoyable experience.
    Very professional level effort.

I again wish to express my eternal gratitude and admiration for those of you in the Thief community who are so dedicated and creative as to give to the rest of us the joyous fruit of your long labors. Thief lives because of fans like you. Eighteen years on, and we have the best fan community anywhere. It's simply remarkable and wonderful.
    I cannot imagine life without Thief.
    I bow to you.

It really is a top notch effort.

Thoroughly enjoyable mission!!! It was great fun!!

Just started playing this, damn it's good

Wow, that was a blast, seven and a half hours on expert & 7140 loot, still missing a ton, fortunately I have a save

Could I work out how to get into the bookshop ? could I taff !

I looked high & low for a secret way in, tried blowing up the door, searched the booksellers house, climbed all over the frontage ...turns out I missed a key that was lying in plain sight albeit in a hidden room doh, time to get my eyes checked !

Rat boy was fun, I gassed him & locked him in with the assassin I know they won't wake up in game but I can imagine the fun if they did

Everyone is sleeping peacefully except for the inn owner and the rats sooooo many rats I started to run out of arrows before I realised they were respawning

The general lack of shadows made it interesting in an "oh taff, oh taff, I'm gonna die" way but the the high up places were just breathtaking & made up for any minor inconvenience of being brightly lit a lot of the time, you made my palms sweat sir, thanks

One high place did seem like a lot of work just to nab a bread roll & an apple, still it was worth it just for the view

And I still have loot to find

Thank you for this gem of a mission

-- EDIT --

Apologies mods, I should have added that lot to my previous post, I didn't realise I was the last poster

Glad you enjoyed it!

10 hours now 7550 loot with help from this thread, still well short of the maximum, hope it's not in the sewers now the rats are loose, any one seen hide or hair of this easter egg nicked has hidden ?

How did we make it 14 pages into this thread without anyone posting a shot of this marvelous book??

Quote Originally Posted by Motley Fool View Post
    How did we make it 14 pages into this thread without anyone posting a shot of this marvelous book??
    Because spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by gamophyte View Post
    Because spoiler!
    Oh, no spoilers there I don't think. Just some wise words from Brother Ehm See, of the Hammer.

I mean that it's a fun thing to find having never been told it exists. But I'm guilty of posting pics of the guard pissing earlier in the thread.

I actually finished this mission some weeks ago and finally want to congratulate you on this. I personally found the more quiet ambience after a festival very intriguing and didn't miss more people in the city at all. The architecture, sunset and especially the fitting music make it a very memorable mission. Several times now I just let a city scene play in the backgroud while enjoying breakfast, reading newspaper or doing something else at home
    Climbing pathways around the rooftops were well designed too. In almost all cases one could see how to best mantle or jump onto the next ledge.
    However, I'm also still looking for an easter egg. I explored so much of the roof areas that I'm convinced it is not something hidden high up there, though.
    Your German translators made a very nice job btw. Letchies letter gave me a good laugh.

Nice work, nicked! A great contribution to this community once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdancer View Post
    Your German translators made a very nice job btw. Letchies letter gave me a good laugh.
    It was only one translator ... me.
    Thanx for the compliment.
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast