TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46

Thread: Do whales commit mass suicide due to resignation of bad sea condition?

  1. #1

    Do whales commit mass suicide due to resignation of bad sea condition?

    do whales commit mass suicide because they are fed up swimming in trash and plasticbags ?

    http://abload.de/image.php?img=1486583058010tusj9.jpg

  2. #2
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    I think those are dolphins, Bruder.

  3. #3
    verbose douchebag
    Registered: Apr 2002
    Location: Lyon, France
    If that's the Faroe Islands' annual whale slaughter, then they are actually small whales and it's nothing to do with suicide.

  4. #4
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2002
    Location: Cologne
    It is from Faroe islands: http://www.lifegate.com/people/news/...-controversial
    And those are pilot whales.

  5. #5
    thats so sick ... why do white people do such crime ? oh wait ... i forgot im not on 4chan

  6. #6
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2002
    Location: Cologne
    It's a tradition from times when they needed the food.

    Actually whales do strand and die quite frequently and it is not completely clear why. But suicide is the least likely explanation. More likely their orientation or normal routes are influenced, possibly by man, or they follow sick specimens due to strong social bonds.

  7. #7
    ZylonBane
    Registered: Sep 2000
    Location: ZylonBane
    I've lost track... is BM trolling, or just really, really, really, really stupid?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    I've lost track... is BM trolling, or just really, really, really, really stupid?
    you are stupid ... you asshole

  9. #9
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2001
    Location: Draggy the Dragons house
    itt we learn how to make friends and influence people

  10. #10
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2004
    By talking about whale suicides?

  11. #11
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2009
    Location: The Spiraling Sea
    Quote Originally Posted by BruderMurus View Post
    do whales commit mass suicide because they are fed up swimming in trash and plasticbags ?
    No.

  12. #12
    Member
    Registered: Oct 2002
    Location: London / London / London
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I think those are dolphins, Bruder.
    Dolphins are a small toothed whale. Same division as sperm whales etc. Somewhat unrelated but here's my favorite whale fact: http://phenomena.nationalgeographic....ernal-antlers/
    Echolocating whales basically see in ultrasound, so they perceive each others internal anatomy and probably recognise each other from the shape of their skulls. The theory is this allows ornamentation that doesn't protrude beyond the body profile and so doesn't mess with streamlining.

  13. #13
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by BruderMurus View Post
    thats so sick ... why do white people do such crime ? oh wait ... i forgot im not on 4chan
    It's humanity as a whole, not just confined to whites. I fear to think of how things will be in another hundred years, considering the amount of animal life that we've eradicated. Already there's too many people and not enough land.

  14. #14
    Member
    Registered: Oct 2002
    Location: London / London / London
    Hang on yeah, I just noticed that bit of casual racism. Every color or shape of human ever has slaughtered animals dude. Even if you can consider something as amorphous and catholic as 'white' people (or 'black' people) as meaningful in a global sense.

  15. #15
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2002
    Location: Cologne
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
    Echolocating whales basically see in ultrasound, so they perceive each others internal anatomy and probably recognise each other from the shape of their skulls. The theory is this allows ornamentation that doesn't protrude beyond the body profile and so doesn't mess with streamlining.
    That's the most interesting idea I heard all day!

  16. #16
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
    Hang on yeah, I just noticed that bit of casual racism. Every color or shape of human ever has slaughtered animals dude.
    Yeah. When it comes to the slaughter of the sea, the Japanese have us whiteys beat hands down.

    Now if you'll excuse me, I feel this sudden inexplicable desire to dance badly to Wilson Phillips.

  17. #17
    ZylonBane
    Registered: Sep 2000
    Location: ZylonBane
    Every time BruderMurus posts, a whale kills itself.

  18. #18
    verbose douchebag
    Registered: Apr 2002
    Location: Lyon, France
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
    Dolphins are a small toothed whale. Same division as sperm whales etc. Somewhat unrelated but here's my favorite whale fact: http://phenomena.nationalgeographic....ernal-antlers/
    Echolocating whales basically see in ultrasound, so they perceive each others internal anatomy and probably recognise each other from the shape of their skulls. The theory is this allows ornamentation that doesn't protrude beyond the body profile and so doesn't mess with streamlining.
    OK, that's the greatest thing I've heard all week.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Every time BruderMurus posts, a whale kills itself.

  20. #20
    Desperately dodgy geezer
    Registered: Nov 2001
    Location: The Olde Castle
    Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    I've lost track... is BM trolling, or just really, really, really, really stupid?
    I think you know the answer.

  21. #21
    ZylonBane
    Registered: Sep 2000
    Location: ZylonBane
    Both?

  22. #22
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2000
    Location: Portreath Cornwall UK

  23. #23
    Moderator
    Registered: Jan 2003
    Location: NeoTokyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivian;2346297 but here's my favorite whale fact: [url
    http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2014/07/31/do-beaked-whales-have-internal-antlers/[/url]
    No suprise given my other recent post that I've been reading articles exactly on signalling theory lately too, so you know I dig this.

    My favorite whale fact was just that one of their closest relatives are hippos, and apparently whippo isn't a completely insane classification. Not the coolest fact ever, but something.

  24. #24
    Member
    Registered: Oct 2002
    Location: London / London / London
    Whippomorpha. Second favorite biological name.

  25. #25
    i heared there are many animals that commit suicide . dolphins stop breathing for no reason .... chimpansee eating poison on purpose ... and lions jumping down cliffs

    why is it farfetched to claim whales commit suicide too

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •