TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farewell, Steam Greenlight. Hello, Steam Direct.

Farewell, Steam Greenlight. Hello, Steam Direct.

So, Greenlight is getting axed: http://steamcommunity.com/games/5931...46854614253751

The next step in these improvements is to establish a new direct sign-up system for developers to put their games on Steam. This new path, which we’re calling “Steam Direct,” is targeted for Spring 2017 and will replace Steam Greenlight. We will ask new developers to complete a set of digital paperwork, personal or company verification, and tax documents similar to the process of applying for a bank account. Once set up, developers will pay a recoupable application fee for each new title they wish to distribute, which is intended to decrease the noise in the submission pipeline.
    The "digital paperwork" sounds suspiciously similar to what already happens post-Greenlight. Just acting like anybody is "Greenlit" and adding a "recoupable" (would like more details on how that's going to work) fee nearer to the end of the process.

I can't help noticing from the tone of the announcement that Valve thinks the problem with Greenlight is that it doesn't let enough in. Hrm.

I just found out. So basically, there will be no barrier to publish on Steam aside from a potentially miniscule fee? Lord...

(clarification: the paperwork and fee will weed out some illegitimate, BUT Greenlgiht does that already and it hasn't stopped many scammers.)

Not that Greenlgiht is at all effective these days, but getting rid of it is hardly the solution here :|

The only redeeming feature is the fee per title thing, as that will hopefully slow down studios like Digital Homicide spamming the store with 5 different copies of the same game (possibly with a different skin and/or perspective) every month, in an attempt to milk the Trading Card & Market system. But I still expect there to be a ton of $1-3 titles clearly meant to milk money from Trading Cards.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    I just found out. So basically, there will be no barrier to publish on Steam aside from a potentially miniscule fee? Lord...
    Potentially not so miniscule.

We talked to several developers and studios about an appropriate fee, and they gave us a range of responses from as low as $100 to as high as $5,000. There are pros and cons at either end of the spectrum, so we’d like to gather more feedback before settling on a number.
    I'd like to get a game on Steam one of these days, but if they end up going as high as 500 or over then VALVE ARE KILLING MY DREAMS! Think I might prefer Greenlight's "$100 fee+getting people to vote on your game"-system if that's the case.

And what do they mean by "recoupable fee"? That you can make it back by selling enough copies? Well, no shit.

I'm fine with the floodgates being opened even further though. What's wrong with having even more choice? Not like there's a shortage of curators and reviewers and gamers on the internet to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Henke i reckon some of your games are well interesting and different enough to make some kind of splash on Steam.

hell yes cos i wont be bothering with it, but if its on steam and easy to install then yes

My interpretation of "recoupable fee" is that it's basically a deposit.

You give them, say, €500, and once your game sells 1,000 units, they give it back.
    If your game doesn't sell those 1,000 units, then they keep the money because listing it was a waste of their time.

Then, the amount of the fee doesn't really matter, since you get it back. It would just be to make sure people don't try to publish things that no one is actually going to buy.

Maybe for free titles, it would be a number of (free) installs instead of a number of sales.

That's all speculation, of course.

they can keep their fucing money cos they are shithoels bahahabahabahabaha wahahahaha
    wang wang
    also fuck trump
    and also mr duck cos he is a shit who doesnt post anymore you little fuck

wait i take that back i am a normal person

holy shit i am really wasted, sorry, they had wine tasting what the hell was i supposed to do?
    not taste the wine?
    hmmm
    while that was a possibilty they had this quite atttractive female spruikung the wine, what do you do?
    what you do is taste the wine, whilst nodding as if you know a whole loota shit about wine, then you go, yeh nah im gonnna buy this litre bottle of chardannoy for 9 bucks co you know, 9 fucking bucks

there goes my chance, and that wine girl was pretty hot

BLOODBY BOOBS

PigLick's putting the lit into Greenlit.

Henke, if you want to get something Greenlit, better hurry!

I think Darkmod slipped into the pipeline just in the nick of time.
    Nice little coincidence.

I for one was quite pleased that Steam/Valve made it easier for games to make it onto the service. It meant that my game got on there, after sitting on Greenlight for a few years.

I don't see the need for change to the direct system as it sounds very much like the current iteration of Greenlight, with a small fee being required etc.

Do you know how long your game was on there, icemann? I vaguely recall you saying that you only found out you'd been Greenlit by accident. I, at least, got an e-mail.

El Shagmeister
    Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    ...and also mr duck cos he is a shit who doesnt post anymore you little fuck
    Hi.

<3

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Do you know how long your game was on there, icemann? I vaguely recall you saying that you only found out you'd been Greenlit by accident. I, at least, got an e-mail.
    How long was it on there - From 2012 - 2016. I never received the email though, so it may have been approved earlier. After the first 2 years of it being on there I stopped checking. It was only by chance that I found out (was showing the green light page for it to a friend).

It was getting mixed voting / rating, so I'm not quite sure what happened in the time in between. Prior to being approved it was only at like 20-30% approval. I'm pretty sure you need to get about 50 or better to be approved.
    Last edited by icemann; 11th Feb 2017 at 23:57.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I'd like to get a game on Steam one of these days, but if they end up going as high as 500 or over then VALVE ARE KILLING MY DREAMS! Think I might prefer Greenlight's "$100 fee+getting people to vote on your game"-system if that's the case.
    I'm willing to bet it's going to end up being a sliding scale based on the financials provided at the time you submit a game.

Hmm I'm wondering what the "fee" will go towards. The Greenlight one AFAIK was dedicated to charity.

I am all for putting a stopgap to the Greenlight shit publication, but I'm worried a big fee might end up harming small legitimate "rising stars" as much as scammers. Some of the recent small indie success stories had $5-10k kick-starter goals (like Undertale, way surpassing funding notwithstanding). I know I'd have to think reeeeaaaal hard if I wanted to put my games on Steam in the future (they might night be nigh on amazing, but I think the production values warrant it - le sigh).

At the same time, it means you may need to get people's interest and enough (potential) funding where the big fee becomes effectively negligible... which might actually prove to work in the long term. If that means people like me can't publish as freely, well... maybe that's not a big price to pay for gaming community as a whole?

Quote Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
    I'm willing to bet it's going to end up being a sliding scale based on the financials provided at the time you submit a game.
    Maybe based on the sale price you're asking for it? So if you put up a free game, it's $100, but if you're asking $60, it's the full $5,000? Makes sense to me.

Hmm I'm wondering what the "fee" will go towards.
    The best guess I've heard is that it will function as a deposit, effectively a floor on their cut of your sales. So basically it's used to cover Steam's cut of your sales until you've exhausted it. They'll take their cut out of the deposit instead of out of your sales, until there's no more deposit. This means that if you sell X number of copies, there effectively IS no fee.

...I'm worried a big fee might end up harming small legitimate "rising stars" as much as scammers.
    Right? I think it's very difficult to distinguish if you're not going to expend any man-hours on the task, and Valve is nothing if not allergic to labor.

If that means people like me can't publish as freely, well... maybe that's not a big price to pay for gaming community as a whole?
    There's always itch.io, right?

I'm curious as to what it takes to publish a game on gog.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I'm curious as to what it takes to publish a game on gog.
    A lot more effort from what I can tell. They seem to be more heavily curated than Steam was (before Greenlight) when it comes to indies.

Here's a link to the GOG submission FAQ: https://www.gog.com/indie

But yes, they appear to manually curate.

EDIT:
    I used some free or borrowed assets from different game, is this a problem?
    Yes, this is an issue for us. We're strongly focused on more original content and free or borrowed assets mean that there's a very small chance we'll accept the game.
    Hmm. Almost all the music and sound in Glade Raid is outsourced.
    Last edited by Pyrian; 12th Feb 2017 at 15:30.

Bizarre. Doesn't everyone get their sounds from freesound.org?