TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what was your favourite game you played in 2016 ?

what was your favourite game you played in 2016 ?

I have to say that Mass effect 2 was by far the best game i have ever played... i absolutely recommend it to

Level 10,000 achieved
    Note: we already did a Best Games of 2016 thread.

But if we're talking about best game played in 2016 regardless of release date, I gotta go with Invisible, Inc.! It's the most unique and challenging stealth game I've played in a long while. Never before has ghosting been so important to success in a stealth game, as direct engagement always has negative consequences. And I love how the ticking clock creates tension in a game where the best strategy is often to sit still and wait things out. And of course the permadeath makes every decision much more important. Whereas in other stealth games exploring 100% of a level or doing sideobjectives is usually a question of "can I be bothered doing this?", in Invisible Inc. there's a constant drive to achieve as much as possible to increase success later in the game, but also you know that any time you stick your neck out it might be the end of your campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Note: we already did a Best Games of 2016 thread.

But if we're talking about best game played in 2016 regardless of release date, I gotta go with Invisible, Inc.! It's the most unique and challenging stealth game I've played in a long while. Never before has ghosting been so important to success in a stealth game, as direct engagement always has negative consequences. And I love how the ticking clock creates tension in a game where the best strategy is often to sit still and wait things out. And of course the permadeath makes every decision much more important. Whereas in other stealth games exploring 100% of a level or doing sideobjectives is usually a question of "can I be bothered doing this?", in Invisible Inc. there's a constant drive to achieve as much as possible to increase success later in the game, but also you know that any time you stick your neck out it might be the end of your campaign.
    ok you convinced me ... ill play it

Hands down, my favorite game 2016 was Dying Light.

Although I burnt myself out after three months and stopped playing mid-way mission 10/13.

I enjoyed Dying Light a lot myself, but I ran out of steam in the expansion. I've been back once or twice, but I always change to a different game after ten minutes or so.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Same here, Dying Light was one of my fave games...from 2015. But I couldn't get into The Following for some reason.

invisible ...vs daylight ... damn i cant decide

Witcher 3 including all of the DLC. Loved that game to bits.

Dishonored 2 and I dunno how the answer could be anything different unless you waited until January to play it. Or if you decided to do your first Deus Ex playthrough in 2016, I guess.

Thing What Kicks
    Hitman, without question. I'm still playing it now.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was my favorite game I played in 2016. I didn't play a lot of games in 2016, though. I'd like to get around to playing Witcher 3 and Dishonored 2 at some point, for example - but I haven't.

Rating Invisible Inc for me is a bit challenging. When it's good, it's really good. But I have a lot of significant issues with it. Worst is the documentation; there are a whole lot of things that are explained poorly or not at all, doubly so in the DLC. Keep the wiki open while playing your first game, that's for sure - except BTW the wikis aren't much better, with lots of stuff incomplete or out of date. Numbers - like range, duration, price - are sometimes outright missing, and sometimes just wrong. Capabilities that are identified on some enemies, are missing on other enemies that also have those abilities. Other issues... The pinning/dragging mechanics can very quickly turn excitement into logistical drudgery. The difficulty curve is essentially inverted; that's a problem with many games that have RPG elements, but it's particularly bad in Invisible Inc.; and it's not just that enemies don't ramp up as fast as you do, but it's also that you start off super weak and with relatively high difficulty getting started (especially in Expert). As a relatively intense procedural game, I think the RNG needs a lot more constraints; guards are just as likely to be covering a critical door as a barren corner, and early mission opportunities can make a huge difference in how well you advance.

And for all that - what a fantastic game! This is the sort of thing that makes me want to make a "spiritual successor" sort of game.

Deus Ex MD
    ...wasnt as bad as most magazines are saying. Excited for the 3rd part

Dishonored 2
    ...still playing. Seems to be OK.

Thief 2
    ...because otherwise I get shaky.

...and my 2016 guilty pleasure:
    The Division ... sorry guys, dont kick me

The Count Lucanor, that game is pretty off the chart, worth a look if you like weird grimm style horror fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bighead View Post
    Deus Ex MD
    ...wasnt as bad as most magazines are saying. Excited for the 3rd part
    Well don't hold your breath, since the series has been put on hiatus due to poor sales. Which is why splitting a game in half is never a good idea.

Southquarter.com/fms
    @Mr. Bighead - I wouldn't get too excited for another Deus Ex game.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...e-anytime-soon

Dishonored 2 for me.

Definitely Dark Souls 3 for me.

you guys should play "vampires dawn"

rpg game and really really good !

Dishonored 2 and DOOM (4) were both fantastic, but my standout choice probably goes to Hyper Light Drifter. That game really resonated with me.

In in my particular case, this is the same as the 'best of 2016' list. I did play Invisible Inc for the first time this year, which was great too, but not *quite* up there with Mr. Drifter.

Bloodborne. Instantly made it into my top ten.

Honorable mention: Deus Ex 1. Really glad I finally gave this game a second chance after an aborted attempt a decade ago. Really stuck with me. I might do another play through soon.

..wow... I didnt heard of that.
    Producing a cliffhanger only to be able to make another game out of this is always a bad idea.
    I just dont understand how they always fuck up such outstanding classics. Same with thief 2014.... Both of them (Deus Ex and Thief relaunch) weren´t really focused on what made the classics so popular. Keep them simple and stick to the original gameplay!! (not talking about DE:HR)
    ...but they always try to implement new gameplay mechanics, like in thief 2014 the context sensitive climbsystem which is just crap.

Moderator and Priest
    Actually, I'd argue that DX:HR and MD succeeded by being primarily focused on what made the original so popular. DX felt like a properly updated version of the classic DX formula, and MD was a spitshine of it.

Second that

MD was in fact my 2nd favourite of the series and I'm very disappointed that it may be the last.

I find MD not as compelling as HR, better in some ways, but the story is really bland

I found their side missions to be the best in the whole series (and to some extent the gameplay as well) and spent so much time exhausting those and exploring everywhere I could that the main story became somewhat secondary to the rest of the experience.