TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's rank your most to least favorite Fallout games, because everyone loves lists!

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    You probably know this already, but in case you don't, New Vegas was done by Obsidian Entertainment, with Bethesda providing the basis and publishing the game.
    Yep, i knew that. Was just wondering if maybe some Obisidian members also were involved in Fallout 4. If not, then hats off anyway, because FO 4's quests and characters are surely better averagely than the ones in part 3.

Fallout 3 is a particularly low bar though.

Did you play Oblivion, or Morrowind? Fallout 3 is a good step up from these IMO, in that regard. And Fallout 4 is another level compared to part 3 again.

Morrowind at least has lore to compensate for the weak dialogue, though. At its worst, Morrowind is just bland, but I found Fallout 3 outright offensive at times cough*Little Lamplight*cough and the main quest in particular still makes me rage at all the stupidity. IMO the strongest part of Fallout 3 is where you explore the wasteland and find some place with a bit of environmental storytelling without any questing or dialogue, but soon as a character opens their mouth, it's facepalm time more often than not.

And it's not that I find Fallout 4 a great deal better in that regard, but at least it has some good bits like the Silver Shroud quest and Nick Valentine.

Fallout 4ís writing is indeed bad at times, but in a kind of strange way I feel like it makes up for it by the sheer volume of it. People may often sound like theyíre merely imitating speech, but Fallout 4, moreso than 3 or NV, actually feels like a living world. Its quests overall donít really compare to NV in terms of depth and nuance but more than a few have at least been very entertaining (Silver Shroud was one, and Iíve actually been enjoying my time at the Institute as well).

In any case, I think itís a wonderful place to explore, perhaps second only to Skyrim, especially on survival mode, where youíre forced to take discrete journeys and really pay attention and soak it all in instead of the usual Elder Scrolls routine of barrelling through the landscape, fast-travelling everywhere and getting more quests than you know what to do with.

Anyway, Pig, if you liked Fallout 3, I donít see why you wouldnít like 4, as it improves on it in almost every way. I would recommend trying it in survival mode first, though. It makes the game a lot more deliberate and slow-paced.

I do like exploration in games, so will most likely pick it up next sale.

New Vegas

F4 is the only I haven't finished yet so it might grow on me if I give it more of a chance. While I'm only 5-6 hours into it's just failed to capture my interest, as I've not found it particularly fresh or compelling in any way so far.

For me:
    Fallout 3
    Fallout 4
    Fallout 1

Well I played 1 & 2 but couldn't get into it (just not my thing, 1998's my limit for old things).
    So basically, for me its:

Fallout: NV Modded > Fallout 3 Modded > Fallout 3 Vanilla > Fallout New Vegas Vanilla > Fallout 4