TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who could develop the next Thief title?

Who could develop the next Thief title?

What the title says: i'm interested in this community's thoughts. EM will be stuck with marvel licences in the foreseeable future, and I guess that only other IP they are likely to work with during or after that time is Deus Ex in the case that SE decides to return it from retirement. So, who else then?
    I'm interested in at least minimally realistic suggestions, not wishful thinking or fictional dream teams. So, existent dev teams, ones that are in position where they could work with SE (so, no Arkane, as they are owned by another publisher), and ones that would be a potentially good fit for a game like Thief.

Quote Originally Posted by Increasing View Post
    I'm interested in at least minimally realistic suggestions, not wishful thinking or fictional dream teams.
    A next Thief title IS wishful, and fictional thinking. And, if then, Otherside Entertainment could do it the best, but they have 2 future titles to do, so, it's unlikely, even if they wanted, and had the opportunity to do it, that it would be released before... 2028 or something.

Classical Master 2008
    I really hope the Thief franchise is well and truly dead. Let it rest with dignity.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Otherside has already strongly suggested they will tackle a spiritual successor to Thief in the future, but have no interest in trying to get the rights to the IP. I think that is a wise approach.

Though, SE has shown willingness to lend their dormant IPs to outside devs. And folks at OtherSide may change their minds with time, if their current projects turn out to be successful enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Otherside has already strongly suggested they will tackle a spiritual successor to Thief in the future, but have no interest in trying to get the rights to the IP. I think that is a wise approach.
    I agree. And I hope it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    I really hope the Thief franchise is well and truly dead. Let it rest with dignity.
    Yep. Sometimes that's the best really. And why not to do something different, with the same "spirit"? I think that is done much too rarely really. The new Thief e.g. appeared to me as just benefitting from the franchise, without really being very much like the old games. That rather smells like cashcow, than of creativity.

Well, we could do it. But I don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx View Post
    Well, we could do it. But I don't see it happening.
    i was thinking what about a kick starter for thief 4 and the amazing fan mission authors of ttlg should make it,lets be honest alot of the fan missions are way better then cannon levels as far as play-ability ,only thing that i would worry about is how story would come together from end of thief 3 was and make something work in thief 4,even the title would have to be amazing like thief 4 "the dawn of the ???????? age"

A modern take on Thief might be interesting. Steampunk theme has been done to death in games now. If Otherside chooses to make a modern Thief successor, that might be something fresh. Having such game from Obsidian would be great too, although you'd have to wait a few months to get proper patches first

Zombified
    "the down of the winder age" -_-

anyway, I'll pretend to be serious for just a moment - I don't see any entity acquiring the rights to Thief anytime soon, and if you want all the Thief without the legal stuff, you already have the Dark Mod, so pondering about "the real" Thief4 is completely pointless.

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    A modern take on Thief might be interesting. Steampunk theme has been done to death in games now. If Otherside chooses to make a modern Thief successor, that might be something fresh. Having such game from Obsidian would be great too, although you'd have to wait a few months to get proper patches first
    I wouldn't mind a modern take set somewhere between 1910 and 1960, in the golde age of safecracking and master burglars. (Covering the period starting with Fantômas and Les Vampires, continuing with M and The Testament of Dr. Mabuse, and ending with The Asphalt Jungle, Rififi and early James Bond.) Or even a more contemporary era.

They could really put a nail in that coffin and give it to EA. =V

Seriously though, there's only Eidos and Crystal Dynamics in the SquEnix family that are credible, and either of them can probably do a better job than T4. Remember how TDS was an improvement over DX:IW? That's how I see Eidos doing a better job on another go around with Thief 5.

Anyway, I'm really interested in this rumor that Otherside may make a Thief spiritual successor. It's time for some new classics, and I think it'd be cool for kids in this era to have a classic come out in their time that they can call their own like we did in our day.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    I don't see any entity acquiring the rights to Thief anytime soon
    They needn't acquire them, as in by them from SE. SE, as I have already said, shown willingness to work with outside team on their dormant IPs.
    Problem with Otherside is their size combined with the fact that they are working on multiple ambitious projects at this time. I can only imagine Otherside Thief happening in some 5, 6 years time from now.

I'm going to make one off-the-left-field recommendation here: what about Japanese developer? Specifically, From Software. They shown that they can handle narratives and aesthetics of distinctly western flavour, and they are masters of organic environmental storytelling comparable to that seen in LGS games. They also love moody and subtle writing. And, they already dabbled in stealth games.

Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    I wouldn't mind a modern take set somewhere between 1910 and 1960, in the golde age of safecracking and master burglars. (Covering the period starting with Fantômas and Les Vampires, continuing with M and The Testament of Dr. Mabuse, and ending with The Asphalt Jungle, Rififi and early James Bond.) Or even a more contemporary era.
    I'd play the hell of that game.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Anyway, I'm really interested in this rumor that Otherside may make a Thief spiritual successor. It's time for some new classics, and I think it'd be cool for kids in this era to have a classic come out in their time that they can call their own like we did in our day.
    Pretty sure it's not just a rumor, it was Warren Spector who actually said it in an interview. I don't have time to try and find it now, but will try later on today.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    I'd play the hell of that game.
    Thief-like title set in early decades of 20th century (or setting inspired by it), would actually be really cool, what with popular glamorization of organised crime and individual criminal figures, and with the veritable explosion of popular interest in the occult.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by chk772 View Post
    A next Thief title IS wishful, and fictional thinking. And, if then, Otherside Entertainment could do it the best, but they have 2 future titles to do, so, it's unlikely, even if they wanted, and had the opportunity to do it, that it would be released before... 2028 or something.
    Thing is though, although they have two projects in the queue, they also have two separate teams. And you have to figure that Underworld is more than 50% done, so that team could possibly be looking for a new project within a year or so.

Interesting subject

My answer is simple No one can do it forget thief as it belongs to Eidos and unless you have found Walter White money to buy back franchise, you can forget about it.

But....

Non realistic dream team.

I'm being serious, lets put together designers programmers and artists. gather funds on kickstarter and lets do it. I'm definitely in as a designer (currently learning C# and unity so in time maybe even help for programmer )
    Otherwise we will have next crap game like thief 4.
    Well thought game with good story and EDITOR, so we can celebrate fan made content.
    Its not non realistic. Id rather say its the only way.

When i see what thief game become over these 18 years amazes me !! What i see here is a bunch of very talented people committed to a game which i believe is becoming more than a game it is now part of us. I cant see another thief game without involvement of fm authors from here and i dont mean just consulting.

Lets make it happen

I know myself quite well and i can tell You all this. I dont know exact date but i will make another thief game. I have to. Garret deserves proper legacy. And most of all Garret deserves free choice for his actions, not designated places to put a rope arrow into for example. So i will be asking for help here because i believe that it is the only way we can have as good game as Thief DP and MA.
    Last edited by trudnicki; 15th Feb 2017 at 10:44.

IP belongs to SE, there's nothing preventing them from getting someone other than Eidos to work on it.

Southquarter.com/fms
    @trudnicki - if you're talking about a spiritual successor type thing, we already have The Dark Mod. Otherwise, it's gonna cost you a boatload of cash to even borrow the rights from Eidos.

Rat the Kid.

thief 4 is needed to continue the story. "the steal age"= sounds like steel its the perfect fit

the dark project 1
    the metal age 2
    deadly shadows 3
    the steal age 4

first mission you start in the city where thief 3 left off and you have to get to the dock to catch a cruise ship= mission 1
    mission 2 = you on the cruise ship and do alot of things till you reach your destination,but ofcourse mission ends after you complete objective then go to your room on ship
    mission 3 = you arrive in a new land,explore the new place/etc
    mission 4 = is when the game gets real good but you all have to make it happen :P

and yes dewdrop is in game his first appearance since thief 2 = idea is you go to a witch doctor and get viktoria spirit into dewdrop maybe in mission 5 or 6

mission count should be at min 13 missions all with pre and post cutscenes and the return of cam vators yes we need to bring them back

and it has to be made with new dark to keep the feel and gameplay the same

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    and yes dewdrop is in game
    Thief: The Dewdrop Age