TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Books and the reading thereof

El Shagmeister
    Plato's Dialogues, 'cuz I want to brush up on my Ancient Greece boy-love and philosophy. Derp.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I've been spending most of my time recently reading ghost stories on the internet.
    Any good ones you can recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    Keep in mind any genre is good for recs, hell I love Dick Francis novels.
    Gotta say that there's nothing quite like a very hot bath, a very cold gin and tonic, and a Dick Francis novel. They're very well written and easy on a tired brain at the end of the day. They don't pretend to be literature unlike books by certain other writers. The heroes are all the same character but it doesn't really matter.

I'm a lightweight reader and a sucker for detective fiction but also sort of mystery/other crime stuff. I'm a big fan of Elizabeth George, the author of the Inspector Lynley series who's American but you'd never know it. She totally gets England and her characters are completely believable, IMO. There's never been one Americanism either.

Recently I've been reading a lot of Jodi Picoult who may be a bit girly for blokes but I'd hate to make generalisations. I love the 'moral dilemma with a twist' and endlessly wonder what I'd do in the same situation.

Which all reminds me I need to visit the local charity shops to pick up a new supply.

I tend toward the scifi/fantasy/horror genre
    If this is so I would definitly recommend everything of H.P. Lovecraft. Just in doubt you didnt heard of him what I dont think
    I like his storys so much because of the scientific/cosmic horror.

Other very interesting books Ive lately read are:

-Fingerprints of the Gods
    by Graham Hancock
    ..about ancient cultures. Its a journalistic research on the mankinds past (Non-fiction)

-Ready player one
    by Ernest Cline
    ..a novel about computergames, which I would recommend to ANYONE who sees himself as a gamer

Yeh heard about Ready Player One, but totally forgotten about it, thanks for reminding me!

Ooh good thread idea ! Can I ask we all bold book titles or even genres to make readability easier as the thread grows?

My recommendations, more on the non-fictiony side to mix things up:

* World War Z (Max Brooks) - zombie apocalypse in format of brief academic papers. I read it right after completing my masters and it was great. "It's like all the case studies I read... but with zombies!" Ignore the terrible movie though
    * Masters of Doom (David Kushner) - the story of iD software and the two Johns. Really eye-opening and very honest, not playing favorites (and often criticizing the two). Very motivaing as well.
    * The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses (Jesse Schell) - an absolutely stellar premier on game design which changed how I approach my games a lot. Highly recommended to all the devs here!
    * Made to Stick (Chip Heath, Dan Heath) - simple but not easy rules for making ideas and messages stick. Really useful marketing primer with a lot of examples and case studies.

Also Brian Sandersons Mistborn series, a political magic/steampunk world, something I think Yakoob would enjoy (hits some real karaski notes)
    Thank for reminding me, I've heard it recommended a lot and in a mood for good fantasy. Adding to reading list :]

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Honestly I've been reading a lot of hard science books, cognitive science most of all, because I'm upset with reality these days and want to finally understand how things tick.
    Oi, I like those, but those that fall on more practical side rather than pure theory (ie. Made to Stick and Art of Game Design). I recently wrapped up Willpower Instinct (Kelly MocGonigal) which was pretty interesting, tho not amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    By the way, how are people on Murakami? I read Kafka on the Shore, and I didn't quite get why it was so celebrated, though that may be a function of me not getting past the book's surface level in the first place.
    Same, intriguing at first that grew just too random for my tastes. I'm sure there's plenty of symbolism and hidden meaning in there but the problem is - symbolism doesn't work if it completely flies over your head :|

Read the wind-up bird chronicle, or wild sheep chase, or (probs my favourite), hard boiled wonderland. Those are really good. Kafka on the shore is definitely b-grade murakami. I didn't think much of Norwegian wood either.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by hopper View Post
    Any good ones you can recommend?
    When I'm in the mood for some internet ghost stories, I'll hit up NoSleep and SCP Foundation. Every once in awhile you'll get something really, really good.

The last actual book I read was the first part of the Southern Reach trilogy a couple months back. It was fairly decent.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I don't read books much anymore, but I did recently listen to the audiobook of Stephen King's 11.22.63. It's about a high school teacher who discovers a timeportal to 1958, and decides to use it to try and save JFK's life. It was exciting as hell.

LittleFlower
    I'm afraid I must admit that the last books I read where the A Song of Ice and Fire books by G.Martin. And I really regret that now. If I had known in advance that I had to wait 7 years for book 6, and that book 7 will never be written, I would not have bothered reading them. I don't read books just for the ending. But if a book (or book series) does not have an ending at all, that ruins everything.

A colleague of mine recommended the "3 Body-Problem" series (chinese sci-fi, 3 books). But then I saw that a movie will be released this year. Now I can't be bothered to give it a try. I'll wait for the movie. Fuck GRRM.

Hey henke I have read that it was good but suffered from typical Stephen King bloat, especially the middle section where he does this whole reference to IT. I found that a little pretentious. If you want a decent King read the Mr Mercedes books are pretty good.
    Another good read I just remembered is the Stephen Leather Jack Nightingale series of books. Its a supernatural realism/detective thing, very urban fantasy with demon summoning, weird ass conspiracy groups and quite dark and gritty.
    Also John Birmingham's series http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23965758-emergence, its set in modern times and is about an underworld that exists full of demons and orcs etc that breaks through to the real world in an oil rig catastrophe, its absolutely ballistic and you all need to read it now
    Last edited by PigLick; 18th Feb 2017 at 07:57.

And of course there is probly the ultimate scifi series, the Julian May Saga of the Exiles, its way too complex to describe here but godamn it is amazing, not an easy read, in fact you would need to read it multiple times to grock the entirety of it, and the follow up series The Galactic Milieu trilogy deepens the story and plot even more. Plus its just really really good, in fact I wish I lived in the future world she created.

The Lies of Locke Lamora, a picaresque taking place in a Venice-like city built by an ancient civilization. Like the Kingkiller Chronicle, it has the problem that the author is too much in love with the protagonist, but it's pretty well written otherwise.

Father Chains sat on the roof of the House of Perelandro, staring down at the astonishingly arrogant fourteen-year-old that the little orphan he'd purchased so many years before from the Thiefmaker of Shades' Hill had become.

"Some day, Locke Lamora," he said, "some day, you're going to fuck up so magnificently, so ambitiously, so overwhelmingly that the sky will light up and the moons will spin and the gods themselves will shit comets with glee. And I just hope I'm still around to see it."

"Oh, please," said Locke. "It'll never happen."
    Last edited by Starker; 18th Feb 2017 at 12:36.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I don't read books much anymore, but I did recently listen to the audiobook of Stephen King's 11.22.63.
    Since you liked it so much, I suggest checking out the series. It does a great job of getting to the core of the story while cutting out most of the excess fat.

Currently reading:
    "Lincoln in the Bardo" by George Saunders, "The Croning" by Laird Barron, "The Circle" by Dave Eggers, and "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss.

"Lincoln itB" is fantastic. Three fourths in, it's truly moving, absurd, and completely unlike anything else - even Saunders' previous stuff.

"The Croning" is off to a promising start. I've been on a Barron trip lately, having ploughed through most of his work this winter. With the exception of "X's for Eyes" it's all great stuff.

"The Circle" seems interesting. It's been a while since I've read anything by Eggers apart from bits and pieces in "McSweeney's." Such a talented, funny writer.

"The Name of the Wind" is a bit meh so far. I like my fantasy dark and gritty, and so far this seems a bit too polished for my liking. Not a bad writer, though. I'm reading it as an "I'll read yours if you read mine" type of deal with my brother who'll read "Annihilation" as his part of the deal. Lucky bastard.

Still Subjective
    Reading "Nod" at the moment. Just started actually.

I gave up on Eon about 2/3 through. Nice idea but got a bit dull.

PigLick - if you haven't I recommend The Flashman Papers. Read them in the order they were written, not in chronological order. Top-lolly, what.

Wow they are pretty old, first published in 1969? If i can find them will definitely give em a read.
    Any if you havent read The Circle you really should, especially as the movie is coming out soon (Tom Hanks?) That way you can say you read the book before the movie "adjusts monocle"

I second The Lies of Locke Lamora and Ready Player One. I also really enjoyed the sequels of the former.

Off the top of my head, here are some others in no particular order (I hope this list doesn't steal everyone else's recommendations, sorry if it does):

Metro 2033 by Dmitri Glukhovsky- You may have heard of or played the video game adaptation. The book is different plotwise in a few different ways, and is very atmospheric.

Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko- Another Russian translation. Based on the idea of an underground society of magical people and creatures: vampires, wizards, etc. in the modern world, and the police who enforce them. The sequels are also good.

The Alchemy Wars trilogy by Ian Tregellis- Very steampunk. Clockwork people living alongside humanity as slaves. The Dutch rule the world.

Redshirts by John Scalzi- A Star Trek satire that shows life from the point of view of a redshirt.

On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony- A normal man accidentally becomes the physical embodiment of Death. The sequels get weaker as they go on, but the first few books are good.

Three by Jay Posey- Journey across a cyber zombie filled wasteland. It's the first of a trilogy, but I personally didn't like the sequels as much.

The Rook by Daniel O'Malley- About a secret supernatural branch of the British secret service. Spies with super powers.

Anno Dracula by Kim Newman- A what if? scenario where Dracula survives the end of Dracula and ends up marrying Queen Victoria.

Most anything by Neil Gaiman- generally urban fantasy, but not always.

Most anything by Terry Pratchett- comedic fantasy.

Good Omens- co-authored by the previous two, and needs no introduction. It's that good.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams- I don't think this needs an introduction either.

Speaking of Neil Gaiman, I'm eager to get my hands on Norse Mythology which I hear is an amazing take on one of my favorite ancient/medieval cultures.

Saw a mention of The Moor's Last Sigh earlier in the thread, definitely my favorite Rushdie book, a lot like expanded, magical realism-esque East, West turned into a massive saga.

Re: Harry Harrison's alt-history books, do check out Poul Anderson's Time Watch if you're a fan of the genre.

Still Subjective
    Good Omens was alright. Pratchett isn't a patch on Adams imho. In fact after about 5 books I was thoroughly bored. It's just the same thing, the same jokes, again and again.

Flashman isn't old! It's newer than LotR!!

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Honestly I've been reading a lot of hard science books, cognitive science most of all, because I'm upset with reality these days and want to finally understand how things tick. Or more like I want to get myself as far as possible away from this Truth vs. Alt-Facts game happening in pop culture and be a happy refugee from conventional wisdom.
    I think I know what you mean. If you can overcome your skepticism towards esotericism I can recommend Conversations with God by Neale Donald Walsch. It certainly gives you a new perspective on...well, everything.

If you want to enjoy an Alt-Facts classic I can recommend The Great American Novel by Philip Roth. Did you know baseball in the US used to have three professional baseball leagues? And that the Patriot League fell victim to a Communist conspiracy? Somehow it seems hilariously and alarmingly fitting to the current situation.

Also I find myself rereading the Leatherstocking Tales by James Fenimore Cooper every now and then. Its a series of 5 books, The Last of the Mohicans being the most familiar I guess, although not my favorite of the series. Ive been reading the edited version when I was a kid and bought an unedited version a couple of years back. I was blown away by the poetic language and the beautiful nature descriptions.

I'm currently reading my first Jeanette Winterson novel, The Gap of Time, which is a self-described "cover version" of Shakespeare's Winter's Tale. Some of the characters remain rather stereotypical, especially in their speech pattern, but on the whole this is a fun, smart read that does an interesting job of adapting the play in a modern setting.

I've also heard good things about the other Shakespeare adaptations that were commissioned at the same time, namely Margaret Atwood's Hag-Seed and Howard Jacobson's Shylock is my Name.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I've also heard good things about the other Shakespeare adaptations that were commissioned at the same time, namely Margaret Atwood's Hag-Seed and Howard Jacobson's Shylock is my Name.
    Hag-Seed is good - I'd just seen a production of the The Tempest when I read it, though, so I think that made it easier to pick up on the more subtle meanings and visualise the whole thing. But I'd still recommend it in any case.

It's been ages since I've read any Margaret Atwood (15-20 years, I think), but I enjoyed her writing back then, so I'll definitely be checking out Hag-Seed at some point.