TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What's the recommended required view dist ?

What's the recommended required view dist ?

I have set the require view dist to 1000, so far everything is working well, what's the max i can use? or the recommended value?

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Nobody knows the required view distance of your mission. It's up to you to try it out.
    modders notes:
    Max View Distance
    -----------------

The max view distance (beyond which z-buffering will not work and objects will be visible through terrain and other
    issues) is by default 256 units in the engine. When using the provided "cam_ext.cfg" it changes it to 512. However,
    regardless of what user setting the max view distance is, a mission author may set a mission specific minimum view
    distance required to correctly render the mission. It would be appropriate to do so for any mission that requires
    more than the engine default of 256 units.

For example if you have a mission where you have a large open area where the player can be positioned such that he
    could see other parts nearly 400 units away, then setting the minimum required view distance to 400 would ensure
    that everything always renders correctly, even if the user happens to have a shorter max view distance set. While
    it certainly doesn't have to be precise, haphazardly setting excessively large values isn't recommended as it would
    unnecessarily reduce Z precision.

The setting can be found in "Rendering Parameters" under "Mission Parameters..." (edit_file_vars), and is called
    "Required View Dist". The default is 0 which means the mission works fine with the engine default (256).

so that means i can set it to 1500 or higher?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Do you honestly have an open area that large in your map? That's 75% of the max width possible in Dromed.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Of course. But even on modern PCs, this is a performance killer.
    NewDark introduced LODs to avoid this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Do you honestly have an open area that large in your map? That's 75% of the max width possible in Dromed.
    Yes my second map is wider than the first, so far it has 1500 with and 1000 depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    Of course. But even on modern PCs, this is a performance killer.
    NewDark introduced LODs to avoid this.
    what are LODs?

so should i build all buildings more close to each other? instead of having large spaces separating them? i´m building a small part of a village.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    Yes my second map is wider than the first, so far it has 1500 with and 1000 depth.
    But Max View Distance shouldn't be set to the size of your map, it's the maximum distance the player can ever see anywhere on your map without their view being obstructed by terrain. So unless you can stand at one end of the map and see the other end, you don't need it set to 1500 or anything close to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    But Max View Distance shouldn't be set to the size of your map, it's the maximum distance the player can ever see anywhere on your map without their view being obstructed by terrain. So unless you can stand at one end of the map and see the other end, you don't need it set to 1500 or anything close to that.
    lol, yes, but the player can almost run over the 1500, i will set to 100, if i see that the farest mountain desn't render well i´ll have to increase it again. My fear is that in the end the performance might be laggy for some players.