TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The New Sheriff by El Tafferino, 22nd February 2017 (Strange Ventures contest)

The New Sheriff by El Tafferino, 22nd February 2017 (Strange Ventures contest)

Finally, we get the third and potentially last entry to this contest: a rework of Shoalsgate Station! Download here: Link

Taffersparadise link: http://www.taffersparadise.co.uk/thi...NewSheriff.zip Thanks Lord Soth!

Hopefully I'll soon get voting for this contest underway. In the meantime, discuss this mission here.

Update: New version released! This one fixes the cake turning to bread issue, so the hotfix isn't needed anymore.
    Last edited by Dev_Anj; 25th Mar 2017 at 10:19.

Ah yeah!

Well, that was ... different. I'm not sure it's my cup of tea, exactly, but it had its moments, and it's most certainly creative and challenging. I liked all the new AI and their abilities, though I was ready to kill all those floating animals by the end. If this was a first mission for the author, it was quite impressive in terms of the AI behavior. I finished with about 2400 or so, but only found one secret. I was hoping there was a way to open the front door and let the cops inside, but it didn't seem possible. Congrats on the release!

Classical Master 2008
    derp.gam?

mission complete 2764/3244 ,1/4 secrets

i enjoyed it and yes i found dewdrop

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    mission complete 2764/3244 ,1/4 secrets

i enjoyed it and yes i found dewdrop
    From the readme of this FM:
    The building process of this was very half-assed; I blocked off a lot of areas from access but might have forgotten to remove all the loot from the blocked areas.
    So I don't think the total loot and secret count in the stats screen is in any way accurate.

Creative and innovative, with a nice twist of the story at the beginning. Enjoyable mission, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev_Anj View Post
    Finally, we get the third and potentially last entry to this contest: a rework of Shoalsgate Station! Download here: Link

Hopefully I'll soon get voting for this contest underway. In the meantime, discuss this mission here.
    Third? No other contest missions have been posted.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    Third? No other contest missions have been posted.
    There's another one that was released years ago (Up in the Bonehoard, TG)

How does one close the portal?

Quote Originally Posted by Marbrien View Post
    How does one close the portal?
    Did you read the Cookbook on the table next to the "Cookster"? There's a hint in there.

More direct answer: Look for the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by JarlFrank View Post
    Did you read the Cookbook on the table next to the "Cookster"? There's a hint in there.

More direct answer: Look for the cake.
    As soon as I take the cake from the locked box, it turns into a loaf of bread in my inventory. Eating all the loaves of bread in my inventory has no effect.

That shouldn't happen. When you take the cake and eat it, the portal closes.

EDIT: Apparently it's a problem with the gamesys. Check the original post here for a fix.
    Last edited by JarlFrank; 22nd Feb 2017 at 13:03.

Quote Originally Posted by JarlFrank View Post
    OK I was looking for other threads posted about the same time as this one. It's kinda odd to have contest entries released months apart but oh well.

Variety is the spice of life as they say.

I think there's some consensus that there won't be voting in the usual way (as per the discussion here) as this was not a usual contest. I expect there'll be an announcement in the not too distant future.

also the way i got upstairs i am not sure i was suppose to use that way,i got on stairway that was blocked off and ran and jumped to that little over look and new darked my way through it,also i think the hole in floor was how you were suppose to also from main office you can get in from outside i never saw that till i was in office,so looks like 3 ways to get upstairs

Neat little mission I had the cake turn to bread problem though but replacing that file did the trick!! Thanks to the author!!

Dear El Tafferino:

Your intent was to make us laugh and, speaking for myself, I certainly did.

Most notable moment: The Cookster.

Thank you for some truly - out there - fun at the end of a rough day. Hope to see more from you, and would love to see you create the "serious" as well.

PS: Although it may not seem relevant to this post, schadenfreude is the greatest word in German ever.
    Last edited by pukey brunster; 23rd Feb 2017 at 23:23. Reason: Paranoid spelling checker

i feel achtung is the best german word ever,from my wolfenstein days

Well in the beginning I managed to get on top of the roof of the building near the start, and after I scared most of the guards away a new objective appeared. When I finally made it into the police station I climbed through the window near the stair case to reach the second floor. Later I realized that there was a hole in the floor that I could have used. I finished with 3094 loot.

I had the eating the cake issue. I dropped all my food inventory and then ate the cake and it worked. I only found 1 secret. I think I found a second but can't find the button or switch There is a banner in the Warden Affairs Division that I believe is a secret. It clangs when I try to slash it.

Good little mission though. I had a few laughs from the weirdness of it all.

Nice mission !
    Very unique and unusal.

With respect to loot and secrets:
    100% loot can be obtained.
    But 3 of the 4 secrets in the stats are leftovers from the original mission and can not be triggered in any way, since they are located in the blocked off areas.

Just to describe my thoughts after playing this FM:

It was a short mission, but there were a lot of laughs
    I also had fun climbing the giant tree in the Cookster´s world. Sadly there wasn´t anything up there.

Thanks for creating this FM!

Classical Master 2008
    Similar impressions to Thinking Robot's image - it was right on the border of silly and strange (derp.gam was a fair warning). I liked some of the strangeness inside the police station, and particularly the three-dimensionality of the mini-world you can enter via the portal. Some of the silliness was just cute for its own sake (although I respect the creativity of the magic particle-farting foxes and cats).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast