TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Alien: Covenant

"How unlikely is it that there would be domesticated wheat on this planet that is presumably light years from earth?" Yeah its still dumb as fuck. Oh well, the monster looks pretty sweet.

Aliens: Catcher in the Rye

Southquarter.com/fms
    I'm sort of intrigued as to how they will tie this into Prometheus. As bad as Prometheus was, it seems cheap to not finish off the story. Last we saw, Shaw and David were headed to the Engineer's planet. Now I just read this:

Waterston plays Daniels, third-in-rank and the chief Terraformist above the Covenant on a Noah’s Ark-like trip - everyone aboard is a couple - to colonise a new planet. Along the way, the crew discover a distress signal of human origin, and decide to investigate. Things go quickly south, and Daniels soon sees the crew around her getting picked off one by one.
    Fassbender will return as David, the unknowable robot who has been stuck on an alien planet with Shaw (Noomi Rapace) for 10 years following the events of Prometheus. We are told little about David’s activities other than his humanity has grown more advanced in his time away from human maintenance. “He’s more sort of engaged in all sorts of human characteristics,” says Fassbender. “Insecurity, ego, rage might come out of insecurity, things like pride, envy, I saw a bit of that. He likes to feel important, so pride.”
    So I guess we're to assume that on the way to the Engineer's planet, David and Shaw crashed landed on the Covenant planet, and couldn't escape? As the article mentioned, the distress signal is interesting because it's so similar to the first Alien movie. So maybe it too will end up being a warning too.

Questions for answering - What is Shaw up to, and/or is she still alive? How did the Alien get to this planet? What's David really up to?

I don't care at all what happened to David and Shaw. Prometheus was SO bad, it would have been better to just forget about it. Make a real prequel to Alien, or better yet make a new Alien story that is independent from both.

The franchise should have ended with Alien 3. It was a somewhat mediocre film that didn't live up to the hype, but there was something about its grimness that was appealing and I was happy to see Ripley kill herself at the end; it brought closure as if the studio had recognized that they had taken this far enough and it was time to call it quits.

Then came Resurrection, which I skipped because franchise reboots are rarely any good. I eventually did catch it on TV sometime later and wow it sucked. Who hires Joss Whedon to write horror? The man can't do anything but camp. And the casting was almost as poor as the writing. I wouldn't have believed it could get worse, but it did. I watched Prometheus on a long haul flight with nothing better to do, but I still wish I had those two hours back. I could have slept or read the airline's magazine or something.

I think I remember reading that Sigourney Weaver was the one who pressured for her character's death in Alien 3. I also thought it was a good last chapter for the franchise (except for some schlocky CGI) that hearkened back to the first film's claustrophobia and lack of weapons after Aliens had been a military show. It had some very memorable scenes (Bishop on the garbage pile, "rumour control", Ellen falling in love with someone as fucked up as herself). And of course Newt had to die. Ripley gunning down aliens while clutching a child on a permanent basis would have been ridiculous, Newt becoming the next alien killer would have been morally dubious and distasteful. So what's supposed to happen with her? This way her death added to the desperate mood of the film.

I like Alien 3 a lot, always feels like I'm the only one. From the boldness of killing off the kid to the different alien incubated by a dog, I've always loved how it took from its predecessors and went sideways with it with gusto. It made a trilogy in which all components were of completely different genres, with only the conflict between the alien and Ripley as a common thread.

The longer edit of alien 3 is boss. I always liked it. It's got Mr Rotwieller from Bottom in it!

I'd have prefered a more action oriented Alien 3, more akin to Aliens than Alien. The original Alien is excellent sure, but Aliens was where things just hit a new scale entirely.

It's not like they didn't have good scripts to go from either, with the dark horse comics + books to choose from which had Earth being totally overrun with the xenos, and humanity taking the Earth back. Now that I'd have paid to see.

I've always liked Alien 3, even in the original cut. There are flaws, to be sure, but it's immensely atmospheric and IMO has a great cast for what it's trying to do. The main weakness is that the VFX aren't really up to what the film is aiming for, but even that is only really bad (rather than just not as good as it should be) in a few sequences.

And I've always liked that the series did something very different in each instalment, rather than trying to capture past glories.

Yeah, which is a tradition that prometheus arguably upheld.

Except Prometheus was terminally schizophrenic. Did it want to tell an alien story? Did it want to tell a story that's more metaphysical? It was torn between being beholden to the Alien franchise and doing its own thing, and it ended up doing both really badly.

BUT, it did try and do some different things. They all sucked, but it tried. This looks a lot better, but also a lot more straightforward space-monster stuff. Which I'm all for, the best alien films are bog-standard genre tropes polished until they're blindingly shiny.

Depending on my mood, Alien 3 is my favourite. It's so unrelentingly bleak, it's excellent. However, I still wish the original wooden monastery planet concept had seen the light of day.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
    BUT, it did try and do some different things. They all sucked, but it tried. This looks a lot better, but also a lot more straightforward space-monster stuff. Which I'm all for, the best alien films are bog-standard genre tropes polished until they're blindingly shiny.
    I have to admit that I'm torn. Would I rather have a good film that's basically a retread of Alien or Aliens, or would I prefer them to be more ambitious but risk going Prometheus? I think I lean towards the latter, because I can always rewatch the films in the series that I like; I don't think I particularly need a "Just like Aliens, except not quite as fresh". Then again, if I were to sit through another Prometheus, I might curse myself for thinking this.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    ...and the surface world was like second century AD Turkey,...
    So... like the Roman Empire, then?

Agree on Alien 3 being underrated. I'm a bit torn on whether I like s or 3 better. The mood and the plot make 3 more original than s, which is more of a standard action flick set in space. Looking at the trilogy (and ignoring 4, which started out decently enough, but soon devolved into a horrible abomination; and Prometheus, whch I haven't seen), it's impressive how they managed to make each new installment a different kind of movie than before and still make me think it all fits together - they all preserved what made Alien "Alien", so to speak.

From the trailer, it seems it's gonna be a cabin in the woods type horror movie. Which is fine, except the setting might as well be somewhere on earth, and the monster might as well be a golem, a Slender Man, or a mutant axe murderer. Apart from the spaceships, it all seems generic and not so much "Alien" to me. Of course, I could be wrong. I guess we'll see...

The easy test, as with any movie is whether you'd rewatch it, and how many times.

The original Star Wars trilogy, majority of Arnies 80s-mid nineties movies, Terminator 1 & 2, Predator, Robocop, Aliens etc. Watched those movies so many times I've lost count. The great ones you watch time and time again. The good ones you might watch a few times, and the alright/ok ones you watch maybe 1-2 max.

Many of the great ones received pretty damn good video games either set in those movies or in expanded universes, which adds to it.

I'd argue that Alien 3 had better video games (which were only slightly based on the movie) which were superior to the movie, but maybe that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    Depending on my mood, Alien 3 is my favourite. It's so unrelentingly bleak, it's excellent. However, I still wish the original wooden monastery planet concept had seen the light of day.
    The religion in Alien 3 didn't really do much for me. If they ditched the penal colony idea entirely and just made it a monastery, that might have been better. But as it was made it seemed like a mashup of two competing concepts.

I'm not really down with the wooden planet setting though. That's drifting a little too far from sci-fi for me.

Chakat sex pillow
    Dear god, I just read that Vincent Ward piece. Sheep-gestated alien babies with downy wool, and a 'HORRIBLE ALIEN HEAD BURSTER'? I'd have personally flown halfway across the world to maul everyone involved in the production of that thing if it had taken off as an actual sequel and not a Bosch-inflected parody. I admire the take-no-prisoners insanity of setting up a universe with monks floating in space on a ball of wood-ensconced metal after rejecting technology as sort of Amish/counter-cultural types, but taken all together it's a massive wodge of hoohoo.

Thankfully it's pretty far flung from what we ended up getting, which was more even-tempered if still tonally incompatible with both Alien and Aliens. The problem I've always had with Alien 3 is that it wrote off developments from Aliens in a fashion that belied its non-interest in them: Newt and Hicks are swiftly dispatched because there's no room for them in a penal colony, and Ripley gets to turn her motherly tendencies inward in a form of grotesque irony that makes sense for the sort of film Alien 3 was trying to be - religious/existential horror - which is hard to reconcile with the movies Alien and Aliens were. Combine that with a supporting cast that is one-note and almost never, in any way, sympathetic, and you've got a movie that's stretches of murky brown punctuated with moments of hard-edged violence, and almost zero reasons to care about anyone except Ripley. In fact, if I hadn't seen Alien and Aliens before Alien 3, I doubt I'd have much reason to care about Ripley either -- so perfunctory was the character writing in this thing.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 4th Mar 2017 at 00:09.

El Shagmeister
    Word.

Alien 3 had some interesting concepts and visuals going, but fuck it. The franchise, for me, ended after Aliens. Anything else is EU.

Same with Terminator. After the first sequel, y'all can kiss my butt.

Though I have heard some positive stuff from The Sarah Connor Chronicles...

In space, no one can hear you quack.

Hey, Nicker. You ever been mistaken for a duck?

Other than during hunting season? No.

Though I swear I heard the sound of flamenco guitar and rustling of feathers behind me in a dark alley once. When I regained consciousness...

I really liked Prometheus, so I am eagerly awaiting this movie. Probably together with Dunkirk and Star Wars 8 probably one of my most awaited movie this year

Quote Originally Posted by User 205 View Post
    I really liked Prometheus...