TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Alien: Covenant

I liked it too Well enough anyway.

If this had nothing to do with Alien, the stupidity of the characters and the incoherent plot would still be hard to swallow. Especially given the amount of money that was obviously poured into it.

Yeah the marbly angry guys could have kinda worked if they had been in a film with actual writing. It was like a Dads Army Christmas special.

R. Scott interview: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...22-guj8wk.html

Says he might make 6 more Alien films.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    R. Scott interview: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...22-guj8wk.html

Well talk about overkill.

Aren't planned perpetual sequels something that RedLetterMedia were ripping on? I'm completely out of the loop on that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    Suck it 5 Avatar films!

Southquarter.com/fms
    Prometheus was awful. Watch it again and drink less while doing so.

Chakat sex pillow
    What. If I were going to watch Prometheus again, I'd want to drink more. That's the only way it'd be bearable.

While watching Prometheus, take a shot if:

David shows randomly psychotic behaviour
    One of the 'scientists' does something scientifically questionable
    One of the 'scientists' does something personally life threatening and dumb
    One of the 'scientists' does something personally life threatening and dumb and/or imperils everyone else around them
    Charlize Theron gets bitchy for no particularly good reason
    There's ancient alien technology inspired by a live Pink Floyd stage set
    Someone dies because of any of the above

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    What. If I were going to watch Prometheus again, I'd want to drink more. That's the only way it'd be bearable.

While watching Prometheus, take a shot if:
    The captain of your starship (who is coincidentally the bestest starship captain in the galaxy) abandons his watch (right after telling two marooned crew members that there might be an unidentified life form approaching their position) to have sex with the expedition commander.

A robotic surgery pod which is "not configured for females" produces a pair of obstetric forceps.

To say something positive about Prometheus: It is exciting and manages to tap into some dark fears. I can appreciate that on a superficial level but from an Alien film I expect characters that aren't stereotypes that bend over backwards to make a situation dangerous/exciting and a story that can stand a thought.
    It's the same reason why I dislike Joss Whedon's stuff so much, because he gets one half right and then totally drops the ball on the second. It's just sloppy and self-indulgent story telling.

Chakat sex pillow
    Honestly, I think the things Prometheus did well were restricted to the quality of its production design. It's a decent modern update to Alien's setting, even if it's also not as visionary or compelling without Giger around.

From a plot/narrative standpoint, the primal fears it was attempting to tap into made little sense -- do children really want to kill their parents? Do creators really fear their spawn? It's fine for philosophical musing, even though the resolute answer to both is: 99.9% of the time, not really, no; and that's where David's little arc makes zero sense.

As for Weyland's clichéd fear of mortality, how does getting frozen and travelling in secret to meet a Space Jockey have any more than a 50-50 percent chance of conferring the secret of immortality to him, when it's perfectly clear that the aliens are as mortal as anyone else, and there's not a single clue in the narrative that says they would know how to extend the human lifespan?

It's just, well, not good really.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    From a plot/narrative standpoint, the primal fears it was attempting to tap into made little sense -- do children really want to kill their parents? Do creators really fear their spawn?
    Symbolically? Absolutely, though it's less children and parents than it is fathers and sons. This is a motif you find throughout history and in most cultures.

If you read the original script (which is better generally, although there is an element of grass is greener about that), Weyland corps evil motivation makes much more sense. They wanted alien terraforming tech to make Mars habitable, and what Watts and Hollandaise had found on earth was archaeological evidence that the engineers had partially terraformed earth around the time of the last ice age. Still silly, but plausible and more logical. There's also a way better explanation for why Laurel and Hardy get lost in the ruins, and why they're so up for fondling bugs (the suits are explained as being hardcore bulletproof jobs).

Yeah, I don't much care about whether the plot corresponds to current science or not, provided it's internally logical and coherent, and those were simply not there with the final result. It's really puzzling, though, to hear that they were in earlier versions of the script. It's almost as if the script was sabotaged on purpose, because I can't think of any good reason to make the characters this stupid.

I think this is Damon Lindelof's fault. He says he's more interested in questions than answers. This effect of things making no sense can also be seen in Lost.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Symbolically? Absolutely, though it's less children and parents than it is fathers and sons. This is a motif you find throughout history and in most cultures.
    Symbolically, sure. Greek mythology alone is rife with stories about fathers and sons and death thereof. But as a question the film posed, it just rang patently untrue -- there are reasons for why Zeus was pissed off and why the Titans had to be afraid. David's android motivations in the film were a slow malaise manifesting itself because of, apparently, paternal disregard. Not the strongest thing ever, really.

Sure, but I think that's a problem of implementation, as IMO is the case with most of Prometheus. None of the ideas in that film are unsalvageable, but they were implemented with a maximum of derp.

Chakat sex pillow
    Agreed. While I'm still not a fan of the triteness its ideas bring to bear, that's a fair enough way to describe what happened with it.

Meet the walter vid. Amusingly, due to some RL sponsorship deal I guess, he has an AMD chip in his head. I guess weyland yutani can't afford to splash out on intel?

I wonder how much money they spent to make these cyborg surgeons look like they're wearing MC Hammer's pants and fishnet stockings over their heads. The thing is it wouldn't make any difference if they actually did just that.

//I can appreciate the little 2001 reference at the end though.
    Last edited by Kolya; 10th Mar 2017 at 19:38.

I love that their going to the effort of making all these little short films.

Southquarter.com/fms
    In general I like when they do these types of things, but neither one of these really did anything for me. The nod to the original movie from the 1st one was really lame, and I guess I don't really get what the 2nd one was trying to accomplish. A lot of style but no substance. Seemed kind of pointless.

I quite like it.

It's like the TV commercials in Robocop (the original). You could say they were unnecessary, but it's all designed to immerse you in the movies universe. That may not have worked for you, but that is the intent.

I also think that Prometheus is over-hated.

One common misconception that I realized on a recent re-watch: Everybody thinks that everybody on the mission is supposed to be Earth's Best and Brightest. They're not. Meredith Vickers was convinced that the whole mission was a trillion dollar boondoggle from the get go, and she wanted it to fail so Weyland would finally die and she could take over the company, so she hired a bunch of assholes for cheap. The only people she wasn't in charge of hiring were (most likely) the actual ship's crew, and Weyland's personal security. Everybody else is the lowest bidder she could get to waste six years flying to the ass end of the galaxy and back without being told why.