TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Alien: Covenant

Southquarter.com/fms
    By "one liners" I meant more like cheesy catchphrases, like Hasta La Vista Baby or Let Off Some Steam, Bennett. I think all of these movies we're talking have great lines, solid re-quotable stuff. Especially Aliens.

Really? I dunno, aliens is a bit dry for that really. Hudson going game over etc, but that's not really got the required levels of camp.

Seriously? Some of my favorites:
    Private Hudson: Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?
    Private Vasquez: No. Have you?

Ripley: You know, Burke, I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them fucking each other over for a goddamn percentage.

Ripley: Hudson! This little girl survived longer than that with no weapons and no training.
    [to Newt]
    Ripley: Right?
    [Newt apes a salute]
    Private Hudson: Why don't you put her in charge?

Bishop: Believe me, I'd prefer not to. I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid.

Sergeant Apone: What do you want me to do, fetch your slippers for you?
    Private Hudson: Gee, would you, sir? I'd like that.

Private Hudson: Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!

Private Hudson: Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bug hunt?

Private Frost: What the hell are we supposed to use, man, harsh language?

Corporal Hicks: I say we take off, nuke the site from orbit.
    [looks to Ripley]
    Corporal Hicks: It's the only way to be sure.

Bishop: I'm afraid I have some bad news.
    Private Hudson: Well, that's a switch.

Newt: Ripley, she doesn't have bad dreams because she's just a piece of plastic.

Med Tech: Do you want something to help you sleep?
    Ripley: No, I've slept enough.

Burke: I work for the company. But don't let that fool you. I'm really an OK guy.
    It's weird to think of just how many outright clichés that this movie generated.

Along with drop-ships in sci-fi video games for YEARS! It's what the devs call a 'Shake 'n Bake'.

Southquarter.com/fms
    A few more:

Get away from her, you bitch!

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away?

Stop your grinnin and drop your linen.

Look man, I only need to know one thing - where...they...are...

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5 (Starcraft used this).

I like to keep this handy - for close encounters.

It's very pretty Bishop, but what are we looking for?

Maybe we can build a fire, sing a couple of songs?

Don't ask me man, I just work here.

A-firmative.

We got nukes, we got knives, we got sharp sticks!

Guess she don't like the cornbread either.

Not bad, for a human.

Absolutely badasses!
    Plenty of others too.
    Last edited by Brethren; 17th Mar 2017 at 20:44.

Here you go. You dropped this:

I say we grease this ratfuck son of a bitch, right now.

Vivian has really done it now . That movie is FULL of great lines of dialog.

Nah. I mean those are lines from the film yeah, but when and where would you quote them?

Really? *sigh* Okay. All together now.

I say we pull out and nuke this thread from orbit.

It's not camp enough. It's not camp at all. I mean there are two entire bands devoted to arnie one-liners, quoting aliens isn't in the same league.

Chakat sex pillow
    Viv, Aliens is a geek's quotefest paradise. You're operating on a different assumption, one of a ratio of camp:popularity, whereas Aliens is referenced a fair bit in video game culture and many geek top ten lists.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
    It's not camp enough.
    What is even up with that line of argument? Where does it come from, where does it lead to? Why is your underlying assumption that "great lines, solid re-quotable stuff" requires high levels of campiness? I mean, this line of conversation came from Brethren saying that he likes terminator 1 because it relatively lacks cheesy one-liners.

...arnie one-liners...
    You aren't seriously comparing one movie to a rather large (and notoriously repetitive) oeuvre?

...quoting aliens isn't in the same league.
    Perhaps in the wrong direction. I love me some Arnie movies, but his big famous quotes are dumb. "I'll be back." So what? "Get to da choppa!" How did that even become popular? Arnold's got just amazing delivery. The words are nothing without him saying them.

Yeah i might have misread that. I thought we were talking about quotable one-liners, which aliens doesn't really have. Too grim. Apart from a few bits of Paxton bossing it.

LETS ROCK!!!!

How do you pronounce the third one?

I love Aliens' dialogue! When I first watched it as a wee teenage lad, I remember laughing the hardest at 'yeah man, but it's a dry heat!', but it was awesome all around.

Alien is just completely different. I can't decide which is my favorite. Usually the one I watched the most recently.

EDIT: guess I'd have to give a slight edge to Alien, because I like the horror genre a bit more than the action genre, but that's just personal preference, nothing objective.

Folks.

Could we please get back to hating on Prometheus and its evil spawn?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
    Could we please get back to hating on Prometheus and its evil spawn?
    Okay, okay. Prometheus isn't and Covenant won't be nearly as quotable as Aliens. Game over, man. Game over.

You always were an asshole, Gorman.

Still Subjective
    I'm a massive RoboCop fan and I think it's lines are every bit as good a the lines in Aliens, as much as I luuurve Aliens. Clarence Bodicker is THE 90s sci-fi bad guy. Forget Burke, Clarence is the real deal and he has SO many great lines. So, so many. The remake had so much potential but ultimately.. meh.

Terminator 2 though, is a rehash.

It's the SAME film as T1.

1. Two mysterious men arrive. One is the bad guy. Which one?
    2. Oh it's that one. He's trying to kill the target!!
    3. Chase scene!
    4. Escape, chat about the future and end up in the safe space that's not really safe. Oh, the psychiatrist is here.
    5. Oh no, the bad guy is here now. Run.
    6. Escape again. Phew.
    7. Regroup, rearm, make some plans.
    8. Do something that's really important for the future.
    9. Bad guy is back!
    10. Bigger chase, but this time the bad guy gets hold of a superior vehicle by saying "Get out" to the present owner.
    11. Crash near an industrial site.
    12. Bad guy killed. Phew.
    13. Nope, he's back!
    14. Ah, this industrial site has a bad guy killing mcguffin!
    15. Win!
    16. PS. Some left a robot arm somewhere.

How no one else sees this I just don't get. Don't get me wrong, I like T2 but there is no denying this. Terminator 1 is a far superior film. It's lean and mean and the 80s stuff is all great. Tech Noir is an awesome club. It's the kind of place that would ban Brethren on principle.

I also like Alien 3. It has it's faults but the aesthetic is great and the cast was top notch. I don't really get why it gets such grief. Have you seen the 4th one?!

Prometheus was much like the RoboCop remake. It had loads of potential and set things up well. The first 30 minutes still holds up really well and I just do not get how the writers get these stupid ideas. You can explain it away as the team being cheap and rubbish all you want - anyone qualified to do a mission like that wouldn't be as dumb as that. Another great cast though and I think that's what makes it semi-watchable. I'm going to IMAX the new one but I'm not hopeful of anything more than great promise, some great visuals and a great atmosphere which I think is apparent from the trailer. It'll probably be like the Ghost of What Could Have Been, like Prometheus, RoboCop, Elysium, Sunshine and most other sci-fi films.

I just read that Alien 5 with Sigourney Weaver was put on back burner for Covenant. Although I had heard about the plans for a fifth Alien film a while ago I didn't know that.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    That's what Alien 5 was going to be about. It wasn't going to be called Alien 5, but I've forgotten the name it was going to have.

Was going to bypass Alien 3 onwards and go in a different direction with Michael Biehen + Newt being in the cast + Sigorney Weaver.
    From page 2 Kolya .

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    Tech Noir is an awesome club. It's the kind of place that would ban Brethren on principle.
    Hello, left field. Where did that come from? I mean, it's true I can't dance, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    I just read that Alien 5 with Sigourney Weaver was put on back burner for Covenant. Although I had heard about the plans for a fifth Alien film a while ago I didn't know that.
    From the OP:

Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    They cancelled 'Aliens 5' to allow this film to be made, after all.

I feel old now. Next I'm going to mix up your names...

Anyway, over the weekend I watched Aliens DC again (but I fast forwarded over the extra scenes where Newt's family discovers the Aliens). And last night I watched Alien 3 again, for the first time in the so called "Assembly Cut", which is the closest to a director's cut you can get, because Fincher is still pissed off about it all and won't do a DC.
    I had almost forgotten how it starts off so sad and then just gets increasingly hopeless. This must be the most depressing, existential action film there is. At the end all Ripley still has or is, is her will to destroy the Aliens. And I wondered if it's really to save humanity, which she hasn't seen for a long time. Or if she hasn't become a predator herself, when she fearlessly stalks the alien in that dark tunnel with only a flash light and an iron pipe.
    It's a film about Ripley going to hell.