TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Alien: Covenant

Yeah, Alien 3 Assembly Cut is pretty great. Definite step up from the jangled mess that is the theatrical version.

Though it introduces some problems of its own. Gotta say, I never minded the Alien 3 theatrical cut; I probably even like it more than Aliens, although it's much more flawed.

Having seem them all umpty-billion times, I also think I prefer the AC of alien 3 to aliens. More meat to it.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I dunno, Aliens 3 just didn't do it for me. It was OK, I don't hate it or anything, but it's just not a film I'm that interested in watching again. Maybe after the first two, the Alien thing was just getting old.

What a surprise. Wouldn't expect any other comment from someone who can't dance.

For me Alien 3 was a HUGE let down on equal level to Terminator 3. The previous movie was fantastic, and then to go from that to that was just a massive disappointment.

Only things I liked in 3 was the alien itself, as they couldn't move like that until then, and the end of it was pretty good. The rest was half half.

Regardless of what I think about Alien 3 and the different versions, I definitely think that the Aliens Director's Cut (is that what it's called?) is a mixed blessing. At the very least the early scene with Newt's family is really bad and looks dreadfully cheap.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I go back and forth on the SE stuff. In some ways, I like seeing the colony when it's normal. It makes seeing it deserted and slightly wrecked later a bit more ominous. I think the stuff with Ripley's daughter could have stayed out without losing anything. I'm weird though, I like the whole Ellen/Dwayne exchange at the end, even though most people hate it. It shows there was just a little more connection between those two compared to the rest of the crew.

The only bit that really improves the film is the roboguns. Does anyone know why they were left out, incidentally?

Southquarter.com/fms
    Overall it was because the movie was pushing 3 hours, and they wanted to get it down closer to 2 1/2. They were looking for anything to cut. Really when you think about it, the sentry guns don't add that much because the aliens get through the barricades in the end anyway.

I thought the noises when they get to the pressure door really added to the sense of being locked in a giant metal can with something mental hammering away at the outside.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Maybe after the first two, the Alien thing was just getting old.
    Shows there was nothing left field about it, squelcher.

I've never seen any alternative versions of Alien 3. I guess that's now on the list. Saw Ghost in the Shell yesterday, original film, for the first time. Defo going to see the ScarJo version now.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Maybe after the first two, the Alien thing was just getting old.
    Shows there was nothing left field about it, squelcher.

I've never seen any alternative versions of Alien 3. I guess that's now on the list. Saw Ghost in the Shell yesterday, original film, for the first time. Defo going to see the ScarJo version now.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Seriously, I never know what you're talking about half the time.

ANYWAY - I just saw a article that Scott is planing four more Alien prequel films. Four more, meaning after Covenant. Is this guy crazy? After the Prometheus disaster, maybe he should just focus on one film at a time and make sure they're up to par first.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/a...-more-prequels

Been there already, +2.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    R. Scott interview: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...22-guj8wk.html

Says he might make 6 more Alien films.

Still Subjective
    You're saying my T1 v T2 post wasn't on point?

Sheesh man.

Anyway, yeah - 4 more Alien prequels is dumb. Let's have some original sci-fi for a change. Roll on The Modern Ocean.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
    Nah. I mean those are lines from the film yeah, but when and where would you quote them?
    I'm quite fond of the Hudson quote when getting a baking tin ready.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    Been there already, +2.
    Yikes, consider me a skeptic now. Sounds like all he wants to do is create a moneymaking machine.

"If you really want a franchise, I can keep cranking it for another six," he says. "I'm not going to close it down again. No way."

I think they should make it into a series. Not with Ripley waking up to Aliens every episode of course, but to develop a longer story arc, introduce some new characters and show a new future that's relevant today.

Maybe each one can be an origin story for a different type of Alien, and then a movie where they have to get through their differences to take down Ripley!

I watched the recut Aliens and (just last week actually) Alien 3, and I have to say I wasn't too impressed, I prefer the original versions. I don't dislike them but I find them unnecessary.

I'm rewatching Prometheus right now, and god damn for all my gripes about the film that bears its name, the ship is still in my top five best movie space ships. Fourth place behind Serenity, the Falcon and Galactica (reimagined), if you need to know... And the movie's photography is its greatest asset, though that's never been in question afaik.

verbose douchebag
    I want to see an Alien franchise film where the Aliens have found earth, a large conflict has occurred, the aliens are now living in peace alongside humans and the film follows the courtroom drama of an Alien suing for discrimination against a casting director who wouldn't let it play a marine in the 18th reboot of Aliens. The alien does the whole thing method, so stays in marine character in the court scenes - proves self.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    I want to see an Alien franchise film where the Aliens have found earth, a large conflict has occurred, the aliens are now living in peace alongside humans and the film follows the courtroom drama of an Alien suing for discrimination against a casting director who wouldn't let it play a marine in the 18th reboot of Aliens. The alien does the whole thing method, so stays in marine character in the court scenes - proves self.
    I can't think of anything better.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast