TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 95

Thread: What is your favourite open world?

  1. #26
    Member
    Registered: May 2010
    In Olbivion, every dungeon looks the same. The Empirial City consist of a circle, with 5 equally shaped, and sized city parts. Every single fortress looks the same, the fountains where you can acquire the blessings of the gods look the same. Every church is built in the same way. The whole world was made in a random generator, and shaped afterwards. And Morrowind is more or less the same. Just look at the cities, and buildings, and compare those to Skyrim e.g. I don't know how you can see something non-generic in it.

    Again, i am talking about the world design, not the setting. Maybe that's the misunderstanding.

  2. #27
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2002
    Location: Landahn
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Arabic country studded with gigantic-ass mushrooms all over the place.
    I'm guessing Bahrain.

  3. #28
    Chakat sex pillow
    Registered: Sep 2006
    Location: Sulphur, whatever
    Yeah, Oblivion is pretty much the poster child for generic RPG design. As for Morrowind, I'm thinking of Balmora, and Vivec, with its massive buildings and bridges, and I don't get how the two games even compare in terms of genericosity beyond the fact that for most entries in the Elder Scrolls, their dungeons and combat have always been deadly boring.

    N'Al: now you're making me look up travel brochures.

  4. #29
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2001
    Location: Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    But the busy Animus overlays and the fact that you don't actually do much in these spaces apart from run through them doesn't make them feel that real to me, to be honest.
    In the most recent games you can reduce the HUD a lot, which helps. Also, it helps to walk through the cities; it's just that the game never gives you any reason to do so, so,you have to make yourself slow,down and smell the flowers, so to speak.

  5. #30
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    You can't have something that's both generic and otherworldly because that's a contradiction in terms. It's like saying a box made from bleeding fairy hearts pasted together with unicorn glue that contains the crystallised final gasps of the last trilobite is generic because it looks like a box.
    It's not the art and style he's talking about, but the way the world is constructed. Morrowind and Oblivion used their worldbuilder, which allows you to raise, lower, and sculpt hills and mountains on what's basically a heightmap. There's no overlap on their landscapes. Piranhabytes modeled all their landscapes by hand exclusively with 3D models, and was able to throw in a ton more variety in the way things are laid out. Like rocky outcroppings, little paths on sheer walls, and things being under and over a lot of other things. It makes for a more interesting and realistic world.

    Skyrim is about the only game that's come close to replicating that, and that's only because Bethesda used a lot more modeled assets in their world construction.

  6. #31
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2002
    Location: Landahn
    Just to be clear, I'm not sure Bahrain is in any way associated with mushrooms. A quick Google search comes up with this.

  7. #32
    Chakat sex pillow
    Registered: Sep 2006
    Location: Sulphur, whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    It's not the art and style he's talking about, but the way the world is constructed. Morrowind and Oblivion used their worldbuilder, which allows you to raise, lower, and sculpt hills and mountains on what's basically a heightmap. There's no overlap on their landscapes. Piranhabytes modeled all their landscapes by hand exclusively with 3D models, and was able to throw in a ton more variety in the way things are laid out. Like rocky outcroppings, little paths on sheer walls, and things being under and over a lot of other things. It makes for a more interesting and realistic world.

    Skyrim is about the only game that's come close to replicating that, and that's only because Bethesda used a lot more modeled assets in their world construction.
    I get that he's talking about the design and construction pipeline Beth used to create Morrowind and that there's essentially prefabbed models slapped together and smacked onto that landscape heightmap, and there's nothing more egregious than the ridiculously small number of prefabbed dungeon bits they snapped in like Lego throughout the world.

    Morrowind does plenty to vary its landscape and box models though, by making its skin and architecture alien, and that's precisely where Oblivion failed. So when I hear it described as generic, the immediate reaction is going to be '...huh?'

    Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    Just to be clear, I'm not sure Bahrain is in any way associated with mushrooms. A quick Google search comes up with this.
    That's... well, it's certainly something you expect someone to be living in if it were Morrowind. Good god does that look bizarre.

  8. #33
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2002
    Location: Landahn
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    the game never gives you any reason to do so,
    Exactly this. From a gameplay perspective you're pretty much running from map marker to map marker, the open world might as well not be there.* It guarantees an amazing atmosphere, so I wouldn't want to lose the cities at all, but they don't work as 'open worlds' for me.

    *Bear in mind, I've only played 1, 2, Liberation, plus 30min of Brotherhood, so far.

  9. #34
    Member
    Registered: May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I get that he's talking about the design and construction pipeline Beth used to create Morrowind and that there's essentially prefabbed models slapped together and smacked onto that landscape heightmap, and there's nothing more egregious than the ridiculously small number of prefabbed dungeon bits they snapped in like Lego throughout the world.

    Morrowind does plenty to vary its landscape and box models though, by making its skin and architecture alien, and that's precisely where Oblivion failed. So when I hear it described as generic, the immediate reaction is going to be '...huh?'
    Actually, i think Morrowind is even more generic looking than Oblivion. But, let's not argue, let's just say we disagree. In the meantime, you may want to to a little research, what games journalists, and others say about it, and you'll see that many essentially share my view point. Especially comparing Morrowind to Gothic 2, 2 games which came out in a similar period of time, Gothic 2 is kind of the antithesis to Morrowind's generic design.

    That all said, there's absolutely no reason why not to enjoy the game anyway.

  10. #35
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I get that he's talking about the design and construction pipeline Beth used to create Morrowind and that there's essentially prefabbed models slapped together and smacked onto that landscape heightmap, and there's nothing more egregious than the ridiculously small number of prefabbed dungeon bits they snapped in like Lego throughout the world.
    Exactly. Style and construction are two separate things here. MW is able to get away with a lot due to its style, which is about as unique as you can get in a fantasy RPG. But the way the world was built was pretty bog standard.

    The end result is a game that's fascinating by the culture it presents, it's style, and it's story, but it isn't quite as fun to explore as Gothic 2, which had this layered verticality thing going on that couldn't be replicated in MW.

  11. #36
    Chakat sex pillow
    Registered: Sep 2006
    Location: Sulphur, whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by chk772 View Post
    Actually, i think Morrowind is even more generic looking than Oblivion. But, let's not argue, let's just say we disagree. In the meantime, you may want to to a little research, what games journalists, and others say about it, and you'll see that many essentially share my view point. Especially comparing Morrowind to Gothic 2, 2 games which came out in a similar period of time, Gothic 2 is kind of the antithesis to Morrowind's generic design.

    That all said, there's absolutely no reason why not to enjoy the game anyway.
    I'm fine to agree to disagree. Perhaps it's a matter of taste, though I suspect it's simply just that we have different perspectives. I read plenty of Morrowind's reviews at the time, and my takeaways from those were that Morrowind's quest journal was terrible and its combat sucked balls, which they do, while it looked brilliant and was fun to trawl around in, which it was... until the cliff racers happened.

    Now, having slapped my keyboard hard enough to have spat out multiple posts on this topic in the past half hour, you may find this funny, but: I really, really dislike everything about Morrowind apart from its art style.

  12. #37
    Member
    Registered: May 2010
    And i did not talk about that at all. I talked about its architecture, and world design. Morrowind and Oblivion are also very different in setting, yet i stated both as examples of the same generic design.

  13. #38
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    Morrowind was awesome, cuz I had a Geforce 3 at the time, and got the crazy water.

  14. #39
    Chakat sex pillow
    Registered: Sep 2006
    Location: Sulphur, whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by chk772 View Post
    And i did not talk about that at all. I talked about its architecture, and world design. Morrowind and Oblivion are also very different in setting, yet i stated both as examples of the same generic design.
    Yeah dude, I think we have different definitions of architecture going on here. 's okay though, this is as good a place as any to leave it where it's at.

    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Morrowind was awesome, cuz I had a Geforce 3 at the time, and got the crazy water.
    That water was crazy enough to entirely tank the frame rate, yes.

  15. #40
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    It ran better than Deus Ex.

  16. #41
    Chakat sex pillow
    Registered: Sep 2006
    Location: Sulphur, whatever
    Lots of things ran better than DX, Josefe.

  17. #42
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    Yeah, like Morrowind.

  18. #43
    Southquarter.com/fms
    Registered: Apr 2000
    Location: The Akkala Highlands
    Man, I'm 23rd on the all-time posts list? I gotta work on that, I've been here since 2000.

  19. #44
    Southquarter.com/fms
    Registered: Apr 2000
    Location: The Akkala Highlands
    I mean, I really have to work on that.

  20. #45
    Southquarter.com/fms
    Registered: Apr 2000
    Location: The Akkala Highlands
    Really.

  21. #46
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    I'm at 14,157. I'm halfway up to the 20k Club, yall!

  22. #47
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    The best open worlds are the smaller, self-contained ones - hubs, basically. But I have yet to play TW3. Nonetheless, can't fathom how any Bethsoft stuff could qualify for this title.

  23. #48
    Member
    Registered: Dec 1998
    Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
    Here I am signing up in 1998, but only now approaching 3000.

    I tend to lurk a lot, though.

  24. #49
    Member
    Registered: May 2010
    Reading the OP again, i really want to play Red Dead Redemption one time... don't own a console though, and i don't know anyone who does. Might lend one, just for that game. Or, hope that Rockstar does a PC port for RDR 2.

  25. #50
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    You could play Red Dead Redemption on Playstation Now. Sign up, and ride the free week to try it out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •